Why such college football ignorance in the TC area? Fixes?

Great discussion points across the board. Major market does indeed allow the casual fan to shift from one sport to the other like flipping channels. The fact that Mpls/St is host to people from all over the country also brings in their loyalties, i.e. all the Packer / Badger fans that I have to work with. I don't know a ton of other markets but I do have family in TN and TX and their local papers break down spring practice like ours do the T-Wolves, Wild, Twins et al. We have a lot going on in this town to say the least and it is hard for one group to rise above the other unless they are winning. Everyone wants to be a part of the winning team. In regards to recruiting, Kill has said that they are going to build this program brick by brick and he wants to do it with kids that know how to win. I don't know the breakdown of winning percentages from this years class, maybe someone on this board can research this, but I do know this. I believe in Kill and his staff more then any other staff I have witnessed. I have witnessed four gopher head coaches in person as I teach and coach in the high school setting and I can tell you that this is the best staff I have seen. They are construction workers and that is what this program needs, we don't need a flash in the pan to bring hype, we need the lunch pail crew to keep grinding and get the job done. Minnesotans aren't flashy, and neither is this staff and I am just fine with that. Obviously time will tell but I for one am willing to give them time, after all it has been a while since we have been to Pasadena.

Some day we'll have our big time breakthrough season and it will all be worth it. Go Gophers!!

You better have plenty of patience, Bleed. I have been waiting 45 years for the Gopher's breakthrough season.

Probably because we're more educated and cultured than most CFB towns.

The biggest reason to me is that Minneapolis/St Paul will always be considered professional sports towns. It seems the only college team that gets consistently decent coverage is Gopher hockey. In football and basketball, the professional franchises get consistently more airtime than the Gopher counterpart.

Those of us that grew up in the 50’s and 60’s saw intense coverage of the Gophers, even in years when the team had a poor record. The old Sunday Tribune had a “Peach” section during the football season that had expansive coverage of college football, with a concentration on the Gophers. Alas, that disappeared ages ago. Many of our fans grew up in a time when one could rely upon the traditional media for thorough and competent reporting, and we retain some expectation that such an approach remains. However, that kind of information hardly exists anymore. Unfortunately, public perception is still largely driven by the old media.

Like I said, Minneapolis/St Paul is now a professional sports metro area. Back in the 50s, there were no Minnesota Twins, there were no Minnesota Vikings. There weren't even Minnesota North Stars. They had the Minneapolis Lakers, and that was it. Back then, it was a college town.

We might not have the 12th best class because there are flaws in the recruiting system.
But we do have a class that unless we are one of the two or three biggest outliers in the country in outperforming recruiting rankings we can expect more 2-6/3-5 seasons in our future.

We might not have the 12th best class because there are flaws in the recruiting system.
But we do have a class that unless we are one of the two or three biggest outliers in the country in outperforming recruiting rankings we can expect more 2-6/3-5 seasons in our future.

Rosemountian is without a doubt one of the most negative person's on this board. He has disliked Kill from day one and he doesn't believe that he is capable of turning the program around. For some reason I have more faith in positive people than negative people. Positive people actually make things happen. Negative people just whine.:rolleyes: It also takes time and patience which Rosemountain seems incapable of understanding.

I think he just wanted a glitz hire. I think Kill a the perfect coach to get us back to at least Mason level, while facilities are built. I think we could be in place for a glitz hire when Kill retires a Gopher.

I think he just wanted a glitz hire. I think Kill a the perfect coach to get us back to at least Mason level, while facilities are built. I think we could be in place for a glitz hire when Kill retires a Gopher.

That is clearly the case but it wasn't going to happen so he needs to quit whining about it. What we needed was a coach that would stabilize the program and that exactly what he is doing. He is also doing more than that but that will take patience and time before we see the result. Meanwhile, all Rosemountain offers is whining when he should be thankful that we have a coach like Kill.

Rosemountian is without a doubt one of the most negative person's on this board. He has disliked Kill from day one and he doesn't believe that he is capable of turning the program around. For some reason I have more faith in positive people than negative people. Positive people actually make things happen. Negative people just whine.:rolleyes: It also takes time and patience which Rosemountain seems incapable of understanding.

I've only recently come to realize how bad things were when Kill took over. And that the previous coaches did about as well as they could given the circumstances. Kill having previous head coaching and telling it like it is being the difference.

Things are beginning to change, Kaler and Teague get what it takes and are on board to get it done. 5 years from now this program will look a lot different.

Do you disagree with what I said killjoy?
Because it is factual. For us to finish over .500 in conference kill will have to outperform his recruiting rankings of his first two classes by as much or more than any other coach in the country.

Do you disagree with what I'm saying or are you just saying I shouldn't say it?

Killjoy after 2 years has decalred Jerry Kill the savior and wants everyone else to use some patience before declaring the same. Yet when someone actually uses patience and indicates they need to see more from Kill and his staff Killjoy can't understand why.

Killjoy after 2 years has decalred Jerry Kill the savior and wants everyone else to use some patience before declaring the same. Yet when someone actually uses patience and indicates they need to see more from Kill and his staff Killjoy can't understand why.

I understand that many people need to see results before they are ready to embrace Jerry Kill and that is their choice. My problem with Rosemountain is that he wanted the new coach after Brewster to be a glitzy named coach. That wasn't even close to being in the cards, given the condition of the program but Rosemountain couldn't accept that. Every since then all he does is whine about it and make negative comments. Yes, I do have problems with negative people who do nothing but complain.

Notice how killjoy doesn't answer my question.
The good thing is we only have 24-26 games with kill as a coach left.
Less than that if he has to skip a few more games due to health.

You're not serious are you? I'll take the over on that bet.

You're not serious are you? I'll take the over on that bet.

LOL - Yes he is! The man really wants to see Jerry Kill fail because the Gophers didn't hire a glitzy coach like he wanted. People with agendas often make very bad bets!

Well, it is time to go out and get rid of that snow the Edina plows again dumped at the end of my drive for the third time. If I only lived in Minneapolis I wouldn't have this problem.:cry:

You're an idiot.

Top Bottom