Why MarQueis Is Not A NFL Wide Receiver

Stanger86

Reaction score
I've seen it here countless times that we should move Gray to WR because thats what his NFL position will be. However, has anyone seen a 240 lb WR? The NFL's heaviest WR is Calvin Johnson at 236 lbs. There are 9 QBs at or above 240 lbs.

He could easily lose some weight to get quicker if he wanted to. But being he is a QB right now, it's better for him to be bigger and stronger.

I've seen it here countless times that we should move Gray to WR because thats what his NFL position will be. However, has anyone seen a 240 lb WR? The NFL's heaviest WR is Calvin Johnson at 236 lbs. There are 9 QBs at or above 240 lbs.

How on earth is MGray going to lose four pounds?

How on earth is MGray going to lose four pounds?

HAHAHAHA, very very true. Plus a 6'4" 220-240lb receiver with speed and hands... NFL scouts would be salivating over him. Can't see the same NFL scouts salivating over a 6'4" 240lb QB that can't throw accurately or make reads, *yet* I really hope he comes around. He's a helluva kid and team leader. (tho' he was sporting the 'MN loafers' shirt at practice today)

HAHAHAHA, very very true. Plus a 6'4" 220-240lb receiver with speed and hands... NFL scouts would be salivating over him. Can't see the same NFL scouts salivating over a 6'4" 240lb QB that can't throw accurately or make reads, *yet* I really hope he comes around. He's a helluva kid and team leader. (tho' he was sporting the 'MN loafers' shirt at practice today)

He does not have hands, I saw him drop way too many passes last year for me to say he has hands.

Q put the effort in this summer to put the extra weight on. I think he could pretty easily lean up at 225-230 if he wanted to. He knew he would be shouldering quite a few carries this year thus put on the extra weight. This is a pretty poor argument. Saying he drops a few passes at least has some data to back it up.

He could become a pass-catching tight-end. Gray is 6-4 240. For comparison the Vikings' Shiancoe is 6-4 250.

Just a thought. Marqueis - if it all works out - please give me a 10% cut.

Well, he certainly isn't an NFL QB.

Impressive. An incredible football mind able to determine if someone is an NFL QB after three starts at the position in four years....thanks for fitting Gopherhole into your busy schedule.

Wouldn't someone have to be the largest WR? I would assume that if he had the opportunity to tryout in the NFL at WR he would get his body into the shape he wanted for that position.

Of course MarQueis is not a NFL wide receiver. He is a college QB.. duhhhh..;)

Wouldn't someone have to be the largest WR? I would assume that if he had the opportunity to tryout in the NFL at WR he would get his body into the shape he wanted for that position.
That crown will forever belong to Lions era Mike Williams.

He can easily shed 5-10 lbs of muscle to quicken up and could probably add another 10 to bulk up and play TE if he needed to

An ok comparison would be Matt Jones formerly of Arkansas, Jacksonville.

College QB, excellent runner, ok passer, played QB in college, worked out as a 6'6' 240 lb WR running a 4.4 off the chart athleticism, first round pick, snorted himself out of the league, but unlike Jones, MG has shown film of playing WR against top D1 defenses and winning some of those battles.
He can stay at QB, hopefully help pull this program up out of the depths we're at now, and still cash a big check at the next level. He also could be used as a wildcat/trick play guy which would add value.
This is assuming he doesn't drastically improve his reads and accuracy and compare closer to Joe Webb, a developmental QB dripping with potential NFL staffs are too intrigued with to switch to WR.

His versatility would make him pretty desirable. He's shown he can play wide receiver, he may not have that breakaway speed but his size, athleticism, running ability, and hands would make him more than a servicable receiver. He could play tight end with his size.

If he has the speed, acceleration and agility to play WR at the next level at his current weight, there's no need for him to lose weight just to fit into the prototype. Usually people only worry about players that are smaller than the prototype at their position. No one has ever to been told they can't make it because, they're too big (not fat, plenty of players have been told they're too fat), too fast, or too quick. Why should a player eliminate an advantage he may have over every player in the league just to conform to the norm?

Anquan Boldin, Plaxico Burrus, Andre Johnson, and Marques Colston all are also 220+ in the weight department. My guess is Gray can lose a few if that's the route he wants to go. He's a great athlete.

But let's just wait and see how this season goes before we start worrying about the 2013 NFL draft.

An ok comparison would be Matt Jones formerly of Arkansas, Jacksonville.

College QB, excellent runner, ok passer, played QB in college, worked out as a 6'6' 240 lb WR running a 4.4 off the chart athleticism, first round pick, snorted himself out of the league, but unlike Jones, MG has shown film of playing WR against top D1 defenses and winning some of those battles.
He can stay at QB, hopefully help pull this program up out of the depths we're at now, and still cash a big check at the next level. He also could be used as a wildcat/trick play guy which would add value.
This is assuming he doesn't drastically improve his reads and accuracy and compare closer to Joe Webb, a developmental QB dripping with potential NFL staffs are too intrigued with to switch to WR.

THANK YOU for the Matt Jones reference - made my day. I'm not sure there was a player more fun to watch in the last decade than ol Matty.

But has the intelligence level on this forum dropped this drastically? Stanger86, you've got to be 24, 25 something like that. Surely you're smarter than what your OP suggests. Or are you just trying to troll?

Gray plays WR in the leaugue. Or TE or H-back, or some stupid position than Josh McDaniels/Jedd Fisch make up on the fly - but not QB.

But what were you trying to imply? That he will play QB in the NFL? Is that simply based on 9 QB's being over 240?

I was actually looking forward to reading a logic based theory on why he won't play WR in the league. Instead...

People seem to not understand that a QB in college doesn't have to be a QB in the NFL. There have been great college qb's that were not NFL qb's

Top Bottom