Why hasnt Maturi admitted that he made a terrible mistake?

gopherweirdo

Banned
Reaction score
Both him and Brew delusional idiots. Please be the bigger man, step up and take accountability for this disaster you have created.

Brewster won't because he'll try and defend his team and his coaches no matter what. Maturi won't because he's the architect of this mess and the public knows it. Therefore, he'll try and spin things as "this isn't as bad as it seems," even when it's obvious the team and the program are currently in the dumper. I will say this: At least Brewster is facing the music every week. Maturi has all but disappeared from public view. Eventually of course, Maturi will also have to answer for this.

Do you think he will actually announce to the world - "I made a horrible mistake???"

We will know if he thinks he made a mistake by the type of coach he brings in next, if he's allowed to make that decision again.

When you get to that level you don't admit you made a mistake... at least not until you retire or get the boot. Senior execs in any field of business rarely admit publicly that they screwed the pooch unless forced to.

Maturi fired Mason after giving him an extension - hence it cost a small fortune to dump him. That money could have bought a winning 1A coach a few years later. He hired a coach with no head coach or coordinator experience, then threw him into the Big Ten arena. That is cruel and unusual. He owes Brewster and all of us an apology.

Do you think he will actually announce to the world - "I made a horrible mistake???"

We will know if he thinks he made a mistake by the type of coach he brings in next, if he's allowed to make that decision again.

I wrote several months ago that Maturi had hired his last football coach. He had his chance and pissed it down his leg as badly as he could have.

He will not be allowed to have any meaningful role in deciding who the next coach is, even if he is still the figurehead in charge.

I think it is quite rare that coaches admit how bad they or their team might be. I can think of a few examples like Mora of the Colts (PLAYOFFS?!?!) and Sam Wyche when he was with the Bengals are two that I can think of. Egos are the reason of course.

To expect the AD to admit his failure would require him to set aside his ego. We all know the size of egos in the administration at the University of MN. You can forget about that.

Even after they are fired, they won't admit it. They will say we 'made some mistakes, like a lot of people do.'

He will admit the mistake by firing Brewster soon enough.

He will admit the mistake by firing Brewster soon enough.

Except I believe that Bruiniks and Maturi will avoid that all costs so they can preserve their egos. They won't go that far so they don't have to admit what a failure the experiment was. Bruiniks is out this summer and will let the new prez deal with it.

I think it is quite rare that coaches admit how bad they or their team might be. I can think of a few examples like Mora of the Colts (PLAYOFFS?!?!) and Sam Wyche when he was with the Bengals are two that I can think of. Egos are the reason of course.

To expect the AD to admit his failure would require him to set aside his ego. We all know the size of egos in the administration at the University of MN. You can forget about that.

Even after they are fired, they won't admit it. They will say we 'made some mistakes, like a lot of people do.'

Don't forget John McKay at Tampa.

Do you really think Maturi is going to say something like that while Brewster is still coaching? That would be asinine.

Maturi is the Adam Weber of AD's: inconsistent.

He made very good decisions in canning Monson and hiring Tubby Smith.

He did the right thing and canned Mason but then took a risk with Brewster that hasn't paid dividends on the field.

TCF Bank Stadium was constructed under his watch and then he allows the football team to make a mess of things while playing in it.

It sounds like he played his cards right in the Big Ten realignment dicussions and did much better than some of his peers. He also has let men's hockey deteriorate under his watch.

He hasn't been uniformly good or bad. He has his ups and downs, and unfortunately one of his biggest blunders has happened with the main revenue-generator for UofM athletics.

he didnt play his cards right, the football teams ineptitude got us in wherever we wanted because no one was afraid to play us. Afaik TCF was going to happen no matter who the AD was. Tubby hired Maturi.

basketball is the only sport of the big three to not deteriorate (in spite of maturi). maturi's focus is on all of the piddly sports no one ever goes to anyway.

Do you really think Maturi is going to say something like that while Brewster is still coaching? That would be asinine.

Very true.

Brewster will be fired at the end of the year. When you fire a coach that you yourself hired, you are admitting you made a mistake.

I don't think Maturi (or Lucia) is to blame for hockey. I think the team just needs to adjust its recruiting strategy to minimize the impact of early NHL exits. I honestly think it is doing that, even if it has been taking longer than desired. Patience will win out with the hockey team. I'm not too worried.

Yeah, it's been frustrating, but I still have every confidence in Lucia.

I don't think Maturi (or Lucia) is to blame for hockey. I think the team just needs to adjust its recruiting strategy to minimize the impact of early NHL exits. I honestly think it is doing that, even if it has been taking longer than desired. Patience will win out with the hockey team. I'm not too worried.

Yeah, it's been frustrating, but I still have every confidence in Lucia.

Correct. The problem with Gopher hockey over the past few seasons is due to the NHL. As a top program, a lot of the guys are already drafted when they get here, and have no intention of sticking around to build a good team when they can leave and get millions in a signing bonus. The worst example was Okposo leaving mid-season to go to the Islanders - something that the NHL should be ashamed of and something that is really bad for college hockey.

Yeah, and the country's been going downhill since they put fluoride in the drinking water. My guess is Bruininks will take action here if Maturi won't.

Please show me an example of an AD calling out a still-employed coach and saying it was a mistake. As someone said earlier, that's asinine and a totally classless move. I hate Maturi, I hate Brewster, but both of them are inherently good human beings and Maturi isn't going to throw Brewster completely under the bus. I think he knows full well what he's done, and that his fate is largely tied to the established ineptitude of Brewster. They're going down together, no sense cutting the rope, won't do any good.

Top Bottom