"Why a four-star wide receiver from Florida says he's headed to Minnesota"

I realize this same topic is being talked about in the recruiting thread (so who knows how long til this gets locked/moved), but ...

It amazes me the level of fear some people from the south have about "the cold". Would they even have asked him that question if he was going to Michigan, where the temperature isn't that different from Minneapolis?

Mostly because they see articles saying we're the coldest large metropolitan area by average temp in the United States (colder than Anchorage). All that said, it's not that bad and anyone can learn to deal with it.

Mostly because they see articles saying we're the coldest large metropolitan area by average temp in the United States (colder than Anchorage). All that said, it's not that bad and anyone can learn to deal with it.

Anchorage didn't even have sub-zero temperatures once in 2014...Anchorage is much warmer than anyone believes.

I realize this same topic is being talked about in the recruiting thread (so who knows how long til this gets locked/moved), but ...

It amazes me the level of fear some people from the south have about "the cold". Would they even have asked him that question if he was going to Michigan, where the temperature isn't that different from Minneapolis?

Living in Florida except during Gopher football season, I can answer this. The newspapers and TV during the winter only report the MN temps when the canadian border towns set low tempertures. Never about the Twin cities, so people in the South think the whole State is that way. They don't realize that MN is many miles. North to South. Telling them that, I add "is the Temps in Miami and Tallahassee always the same"
records.

"People have asked Snelson—who plans to take his official visit to the Twin Cities the weekend of Oct. 31, when Minnesota hosts Michigan—how he’ll deal with the cold weather. “It’s cold in the NFL. That’s all I say.” :clap:

"..as the Gophers' recent track record does not inspire optimism that they’ll throw the ball often. In four seasons under Kill, Minnesota has ranked no higher than ninth in the Big Ten in passing attempts per game and last in the conference in 2013 and 2014.

Snelson counters that Kill “told me they were going to spread the ball out this year.” (Through three games in 2015, the Gophers check in at No. 4 in the Big Ten with 35.7 passing attempts per game.)
"

Kill has told everybody up here that too and,have some faith, he means to it it. Oh, and to all the "they'll NEVER try and throw the ball" guys, sorry.

Brewster tried to tell recruits that the average game temp was something like 60 in an effort to convince them that it ain't so bad here. While what he said may be true, it is also true that it can get damn cold between Nov and March which is a good chunk of time if you're an out-of-state student. So yeah, it gets cold here so deal with it or go somewhere else.

Little known fact - People live in MN for one of two reasons: 1. Family or 2. Federal Witness Protection Program.

Little known fact - People live in MN for one of two reasons: 1. Family or 2. Federal Witness Protection Program.

I, for one, appreciate the fact we have four seasons in MN. Say what you will about the weather, but it's never boring. And really, we only have a handful of days in the year when its bitterly cold. And, in a typical year, we have close to an equal number of days when its hot and humid, with highs in the 90's and a heat index in the 100's - but nobody ever says it's too hot in MN. I knew a guy who was a Sprint-Car driver. He lived in New Mexico, but came to the Midwest with the World of Outlaws, and he always complained about how hot and humid the summers were in the Midwest.

But, what I love about MN are those days in the Spring and Fall when it's not too hot and not too cold. A nice Fall day just can't be beat.

Brewster tried to tell recruits that the average game temp was something like 60 in an effort to convince them that it ain't so bad here. While what he said may be true, it is also true that it can get damn cold between Nov and March which is a good chunk of time if you're an out-of-state student. So yeah, it gets cold here so deal with it or go somewhere else.

You have neglected to mention liberal Minnesota's liberal entitlement programs....

oops... my comments like this are typically retorts on Star Tribune articles....

I lived in Arizona for just over two years and couldn't stand the fact that if you just looked outside you couldn't tell if it was December or July. You couldn't have gotten me back to Minnesota fast enough.

Also, someone on this thread said no one talks about how hot and nice it is during our summer, spring and fall. Same goes for Arizona - sure, Arizona is extremely appealing in December and January when it's a dry 80 degrees but somehow everyone loses sight of the fact that Arizona summers are 110 and miserably hot and you can't even flippin golf it's so hot. I had to wear two rain gloves just to not have the club slip out every shot - no thanks.

For game temp, saying the average is 60 degrees probably isn't too far off

But it's not the game temp that gets you, it's the weather in February when you have to walk to class/practice in subzero temperatures that gets to you

For game temp, saying the average is 60 degrees probably isn't too far off

But it's not the game temp that gets you, it's the weather in February when you have to walk to class/practice in subzero temperatures that gets to you

They're athletes...they either have online classes or they don't go to classes but I have had many athletes in classes. You see them day 1 then don't see them again until the day of the final exam.

They're athletes...they either have online classes or they don't go to classes but I have had many athletes in classes. You see them day 1 then don't see them again until the day of the final exam.

So you only go the first and last day of class? Not a good strategy. Many coaches hold the players accountable. If they miss, the don't play. This isn't the Mason years anymore

I lived in Arizona for just over two years and couldn't stand the fact that if you just looked outside you couldn't tell if it was December or July. You couldn't have gotten me back to Minnesota fast enough.

Also, someone on this thread said no one talks about how hot and nice it is during our summer, spring and fall. Same goes for Arizona - sure, Arizona is extremely appealing in December and January when it's a dry 80 degrees but somehow everyone loses sight of the fact that Arizona summers are 110 and miserably hot and you can't even flippin golf it's so hot. I had to wear two rain gloves just to not have the club slip out every shot - no thanks.

You speak of the crap hole of Phoenix. It's NOT that way in the paradise of the White Mountains area.

You speak of the crap hole of Phoenix. It's NOT that way in the paradise of the White Mountains area.

Well send us some photos Doc. I'm sure your daughter can help you with that.

Same!!! Lived there from Aug 2001 to May 2003 and the place never changed, except the temp went from warm to unbearable hot. The cacti never changed color and the rocks in my front yard were always the same dry ugly crap.

"According to Snelson, he’s '100 percent' committed to Minnesota."

"he’s trying to arrange visits with the Gators and the Cardinals."

???

So you only go the first and last day of class? Not a good strategy. Many coaches hold the players accountable. If they miss, the don't play. This isn't the Mason years anymore

No sure from my statement how you came to the conclusion that I only go 1st and last day?....................lol. And I never said they don't do any of the curriculum but they are either excused from physically attending or they do an online class because they weren't there. I went to class every day (give or take a couple) and saw them only the 1st day and day of final exam. I never mentioned my own attendance.

They've fallen off the 1st page, but I believe this article is posted in 3 separate threads.

Commitment and Consistency

Where did he say its official? He's still lining up other visits for gosh sakes.

bronco.jpg

If you read Robert Cialdini's "Influence" (highly recommend it, Kill has I'll bet) you will discover that a person who makes a public commitment tends to remain consistent with that commitment. It is stronger if put into writing so now you know why Kill wants an earlier signing period.

I know this seems a tad boring but very important in understanding the psychology of folks around you.

View attachment 3824

If you read Robert Cialdini's "Influence" (highly recommend it, Kill has I'll bet) you will discover that a person who makes a public commitment tends to remain consistent with that commitment. It is stronger if put into writing so now you know why Kill wants an earlier signing period.

I know this seems a tad boring but very important in understanding the psychology of folks around you.

I can't commit to reading that in print.

Top Bottom