Who will take the most snaps as Gophers QB vs Northwestern?

• Tanner Morgan

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Seth Green

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Cole Kramer

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Jacob Clark

Votes: 36 40.4%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

If Morgan is out for both games, Kramer would burn his red shirt if he plays both games, Clark wouldn't - and it would make no sense for Kramer to play one game, Clark the other. So it depends on Morgan. If they are fairly certain he'll be ready for the Badgers, then either sub could play vs NW. If not, Clark would play both games to save both red shirts, assuming he's about as ready as Kramer.

Clark Kramer, or maybe Cole Clark

If you go by Fleck's comments on his show, if it isn't Morgan, it will be Clark.
Fleck mentioned that Clark and Kramer are even. He switches them evenly. Since Kramer played against Iowa, that would mean Clark gets the start against Northwestern.
If Clark doesn't do well, Kramer will get the second half.

Both in the same backfield, with Seth Green split out wide.

I'm going Kramer, but I think we see snaps from Clark and Green as well.
I went with Clack because of Fleck’s comments regarding how many games each has played in.

Seems he’s still trying to not burn redshirts, even if that’s what’s needed to win.

If you go by Fleck's comments on his show, if it isn't Morgan, it will be Clark.
Fleck mentioned that Clark and Kramer are even. He switches them evenly. Since Kramer played against Iowa, that would mean Clark gets the start against Northwestern.
If Clark doesn't do well, Kramer will get the second half.

I’m struggling to remember the sequence of event at the end of the Maryland game. IIRC Clark came in, threw the TD pass, then Kramer got the ensuing drive. I could be wrong. They both played.

If true, that would have meant it was Clark’s turn at Iowa.

Besides, I have a hard time believing one isn’t at least slightly ahead of the other at this point of the year in some way, shape, or form.

Clark has only participated in one game. It was the game where he had the long throw vs Maryland, on the drive that put us up 52-10. (it was almost a TD on the throw, but not quite)

Kramer has participated in three games. He had a completely meaningless and unhelpful appearance in our last drive at Rutgers, where he handed the ball off three straight times then we punted. He came in vs Maryland, after Clark's drive, handed the ball off twice, then took the final kneel-down. Then, as we know, he was forced to come in on our last drive vs Iowa, after Morgan was obliterated. He threw two incompletions, and we turned it over on downs.

So if Kramer plays vs NW, this will be the last game he can play in, before his redshirt is burned. I think that is very unfortunate, and I believe the staff has somewhat botched his appearances this season.

I have no idea why Clark wasn't the one who came in for Iowa. My wild guess is that Kramer knows the offense much better, and the staff felt more comfortable not having as much of a limited playbook. But that is only a wild guess. Maybe Clark wasn't feeling well or was hurting last weekend. Don't know, that type of info is like Fort Knox.

I went with Clack because of Fleck’s comments regarding how many games each has played in.

Seems he’s still trying to not burn redshirts, even if that’s what’s needed to win.

Agree they are trying to save redshirts if possible however could not disagree more with the suggestion that they would choose to save a redshirt as opposed to trying to win.

Fleck is not going to compromise a possible win this year in order to save a redshirt. Silly to even suggest that.

Agree they are trying to save redshirts if possible however could not disagree more with the suggestion that they would choose to save a redshirt as opposed to trying to win.

Fleck is not going to compromise a possible win this year in order to save a redshirt. Silly to even suggest that.
No reason for you to interpret what I said in a way that I didn't mean.

What I meant was only talking about who starts. If Kramer needs to come in and ultimately gets the most snaps, in order to win the game, then I absolutely do think that the staff is prepared to take that action.

I don’t think burning a redshirt this season is that big of a deal considering the QBs returning next year, and the one already committed for 2021. Kramer will have plenty of time to get that redshirt year back if he burns it this year. Next year, he’s likely 3rd string at best, barring injury to Morgan or ZA.

I think the redshirts are irrelevant. Like a poster said....If Zach or Morgan play in the future, there will be QBs on the bench qualifying for redshirt years. I don't think it should come into consideration when we are having the year we are having. Gotta win the Northwestern championship. Play the best player who's not injured regardless if it means burning a redshirt.

Clark, and he will throw 15 passes with predetermined reads

really why are so many people worried about red shirts getting burned? If a player is good enough to play you play him. no shirt color will make it better or worst.

there are plenty of QB's on the team that if one plays 5 or 6 games thsi year might not even play a single game next

Play who can win the game period

FWIW, Burns is leaning Clark if Morgan can’t go. He believes it will literally be a game time decision on Morgan.

Last edited:

I don’t think burning a redshirt this season is that big of a deal considering the QBs returning next year, and the one already committed for 2021. Kramer will have plenty of time to get that redshirt year back if he burns it this year. Next year, he’s likely 3rd string at best, barring injury to Morgan or ZA.

This. A redshirt isn’t burned on any player ever until they play their 5th game in their “last” season. If they play 4 games or less in any of their first four seasons they are eligible for a 5th season.

PJ is the one who said he did not want to burn their redshirts. He said it was important that didn’t happen.
Yell at him. ?

Top Bottom