Who will QB in the bowl game?

Or the single wing!

If we're going to go back to a QB-irrelevant 1986 dominant running offense, I'll go with whatever Augustana College was running for their 50th straight win. Check out the big-haired cheerleaders too.

Last edited:

might well bring back the worst qb in gohpher history . lidner. let him throw worm burners all game and fumbel and look like a deer in the headlights.
You clearly are having a bad day. Anybody know who lidner is? Mitch Leidner was a good guy, gave it all he had with his abilities, and thankfully led the Gophers at a time nobody else could. The guy lidner must play for a different team. Never heard of him. Perhaps it is gohpher. What league are they in?

I broadcast a HS FB playoff game in IA where one team ran the single wing. Sigourney-Keota. direct snap to the up back, who would spin around and either hand the ball off to one of the other backs, or fake a handoff, spin back and run the ball himself. but they ran that offense so fast and carried out their fakes so well that - even though I was watching the backfield through binoculars, I still had trouble telling who had the ball. very unique and hard to prepare for because other teams could not replicate what S-K did in practice.
We used the double-wing at Eveleth when we won the Class A championship in 1973, beating Willmar. The snap often went between the QB’s legs directly to the fullback, who could keep it or hand it off to either RB who were placed just behind and inside the 2 tight ends. Never had a receiver line up wide. Not much passing, but defenses were often confused as to who had the ball.

might well bring back the worst qb in gohpher history . lidner. let him throw worm burners all game and fumbel and look like a deer in the headlights.

You clearly are having a bad day. Anybody know who lidner is? Mitch Leidner was a good guy, gave it all he had with his abilities, and thankfully led the Gophers at a time nobody else could. The guy lidner must play for a different team. Never heard of him. Perhaps it is gohpher. What league are they in?
Liedner gets ragged on a lot. Me I take him running the rpo over Ak. His running was not pretty but was effective. He was a worse thrower than ak for sure but I think was a better qb.

If we're going to go back to a QB-irrelevant 1986 dominant running offense, I'll go with whatever Augustana College was running for their 50th straight win. Check out the big-haired cheerleaders too.

I love Salisbury State's steak.

Liedner gets ragged on a lot. Me I take him running the rpo over Ak. His running was not pretty but was effective. He was a worse thrower than ak for sure but I think was a better qb.
Dude left it all on the field, mangled foot and all, and never complained once. Great representative of the program and led the team, generally successfully, through the rebuild from the Brew years. I'll always remember that guy fondly, lame ducks and all.

I don't do personal attacks.

I'll give you three reasons for optimism, quickly, off the top of my head:

Reason #1: I'm 67 years old, and Fleck's winning percentage is better than any Minnesota coach in my lifetime. And that's a long, long time.

Reason #2: Fleck has the kids going to class, making good grades, and they are good citizens. Nobody in trouble or pulling crap that reflects poorly on the U.

Reason #3: The Gopher team is now clearly competitive with Iowa and Wisconsin, our two biggest, oldest rivals.

------------

Here's another, although it's more a personal choice/lifestyle thing: I've found, in my 67 years, that being generally optimistic is it's own reward. For me, being constantly negative and wallowing in misery is not productive, it's not attractive and it is extremely dull and boring. HOWEVER, you have a right to choose your own path. I'm not telling you how to feel, I'm just answering your question.
OR, Blind Optimism
Juxtaposed against realistic optimism is blind optimism. In this scenario, a person has the tendency to focus on the positive aspects of a plan or situation, but he is virtually “blind” to any potential pitfalls. These individuals are wise to seek advice from others before making important decisions. Failure to do so may results in negative outcomes.

They no longer stress the importance of fundamentals in basketball or basic grammar in our schools. Dark days, indeed.

Time to pop the lidner on another cold one before the AL-GA game!

I think normal people just generally gravitate towards someone who's more pollyana-ish than one who's MO is being a debbie downer.

OR, Blind Optimism
Juxtaposed against realistic optimism is blind optimism. In this scenario, a person has the tendency to focus on the positive aspects of a plan or situation, but he is virtually “blind” to any potential pitfalls. These individuals are wise to seek advice from others before making important decisions. Failure to do so may results in negative outcomes.

Wow! There's a lot to unpack in your post.

There are always "potential pitfalls" in any situation. None of those pitfalls have yet befallen me, in my 67 years of life (at least, not fatally) despite my generally optimistic outlook. In fact, my "outcomes" in life have been pretty good overall. And, so far, I have been able to make most of my decisions without leaning too heavily on advice from random, anonymous strangers.

Of course, I do seek the advice of people with actual expertise from time to time. For example I listen carefully to my doctor's advice. And I have a financial advisor, who has certification, and is a fiduciary. I value his advice quite highly, and it has proved invaluable.

Now, would I take financial or medical advice from some Joe Blow who, say, sells toilet fixtures for a living? No. He knows his area well, I'm sure, but that doesn't make him an expert on investments or medicine.

Therefore, I think I'll form my own opinions on the Gopher football program, and I'm really not too worried that my optimism will cause any "negative outcomes".

But, hey... thanks for your sage advice, and the ominous warning. I'll keep it all in mind. Really, I promise.

And... keep posting! It's fun debating with the people who disagree. I get to give my reasons, and they give me theirs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom