Who is the best football player on our team?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Quite a few Gophers leave our roster this year. On our roster for 2010, who is the best football player. I'm not referring to athlete, speed, discipline, etc. I just would like to know what everyone thinks.
My pick? Unsure.

I think Kirksey will emerge as the dominant on both sides of the ball.

Keanon Cooper... Playing Lawrence's position better than Simoni could

In terms of ability to perform compared to national average, I'm guessing Orseske will be really good this year.

Gray has the most "wow" factor as a football player.

I don't know about you guys, but it sure is nice to see several different defensive guys being considered the best player on the team.

I don't know about you guys, but it sure is nice to see several different defensive guys being considered the best player on the team.

I was just thinking that... the defense is stocked with young talent, and if players like tinsley, maresh or even hageman live up to their potential on that side of the ball good things may be in store

Yes, that too. Luckily something like that can be fixed (as opposed to being generally unathletic, slow, football-dumb). He has to show he can improve but anyone can see the talent potential is there.

Keanon Cooper... Playing Lawrence's position better than Simoni could

I'm a big Keanon Cooper fan, I just like the fact that he made several game-altering type plays last season, in addition to just being solid in general.

If our offense was better, Troy Stoudermire as a kick returner would be even bigger as we would cash in more often on those nice returns he had. Plus he should be even better in the slot.

Michael Carter, DL Wilhite, Jewhan Edwards, Gary Tinsley, some great defensive guys who could step up and be at that level.

Looking at who might be one of our most productive players, I'm leaning toward Dajon McKnight. I think he'll get numerous opportunities, and the fact that he's still learning the position bodes well for even more production this season.

I think Eskridge could have a breakout year. No proof to back it up, just liked what I saw last year running, and also in special teams.

minibeaver, I've enrolled you in the following (see provided link)

I think Eskridge could have a breakout year. No proof to back it up, just liked what I saw last year running, and also in special teams.

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/courses/football-gm-scouting

The Football General Manager and Scouting Course is an 8 week online course that offers cutting edge theories on how to develop a career in professional or collegiate Football. The Football General Manager and Scouting Course will cover issues including football operations, team management, scouting talent, player personnel, cutting edge ways of scouting, NFL traditional scouting techniques, studying football on paper, statistical analysis and other essential tools of modern general managers of professional and collegiate football organizations

I think the safe money is on Keanon Cooper. He showed some great flashes last season, and now with consistant playing time, he could really be a force. A handful of guys on the Defense could be it at the end though, a lot of guys with talent and room to grow as a player in the offseason.

Offensively, I've always liked Brandon Green, and I hope he can put it all together next season, being the go-to guy to move the sticks, while Troy tries to burn them deep.

Keenon Cooper
The red shirt freshmen already has a resume full of big plays

Against Wisconsin, partial punt block
Purdue, caused a fumble and made the big 4th down stop at the end of the game
Michigan State, broke up the 4th down pass down field that pretty much locked it up
Illinois, blocked the punt that was run back for a touchdown
Smart Guy in the classroom as well

Keenon Cooper
The red shirt freshmen already has a resume full of big plays

Against Wisconsin, partial punt block
Purdue, caused a fumble and made the big 4th down stop at the end of the game
Michigan State, broke up the 4th down pass down field that pretty much locked it up
Illinois, blocked the punt that was run back for a touchdown
Smart Guy in the classroom as well

+1
+2
+3...

There's not a player on the team who should benefit more from the "Power Running" philosophy. Eskridge has the frame to keep adding muscle and will now be a Jr. Take the bull by the horns DeLeon.

Does anyone else think the best player is going to be the player that has the biggest breakout year?

I agree Cooper is a good choice, he just didn't get enough playing time to do it consistently last year. I'm excited that you could name 10-15 players as our "best" player. It should be an exciting season.

Top Bottom