WHO HATES IOWA.....STATE???

You've spun it the wrong way - Trice couldn't stay with his team because the hotel in Minneapolis was segregated. Wasn't the team's choice, it was the hotel.

So do you blame Brewster, Maturi or Bruininks? :D

You should really learn to cite your sources, Mr. Wikipedia.

I'm sure it says that on his wikipedia, but I knew that off the top of my head. One of the professors who led the campaign to get it named after him is a close family friend. He basically got fired from the University for being so persistent with the campaign.

We didn't send him back in the game with a broken collarbone. We weren't the ones who said after the game "you're fine, walk it off".

No, you were just the ones who caused the broken collarbone and then stomped him to death.

No, you were just the ones who caused the broken collarbone and then stomped him to death.

You do realize that people do get injured in football, right? Broken collarbones happen. He wasn't "stomped to death". He threw himself in to make a tackle and got stepped on. It happens, no one was trying to stomp him.

If he had been pulled out of the game after he broke his collarbone, none of this would have happened. If he had gotten medical treatment instead of being told to walk it off, he would have been fine.

You've spun it the wrong way - Trice couldn't stay with his team because the hotel in Minneapolis was segregated. Wasn't the team's choice, it was the hotel.

Sure they had a choice. They could have stayed at the other hotel with Trice. Trying to make Minnesota look like the Alabama of the North is the real spin here.

Don't you see that this guy is a HAWKEYE fan pitting his enemies against each other??? It's quite obvious.

It's also quite obvious that blaming anyone for things that happened before most of us were born is quite childish, and results in many of the evil, ignorant problems in this world.

As an Iowa State fan, I'd like to apologize for some of my fellow Clone fans on this board. (Although I am a little skeptical that they are true ISU fans). The truth is nobody knows the full details surrounding Jack Trice's death. It happened in 1923, a time when the world was a very different place and football was a very different sport. Any accusations of racism are stupid and unfounded.

The story of Jack trice is truly an interesting one and is a unique one to discuss in light our our upcoming bowl game with Minnesota. While this isn't a premier bowl game by any stretch, ISU is extremely excited to be in a bowl game after having only won 5 games total in the last two seasons. The matchup with Minnesota, a border state, makes interesting as well.

Hope the game is a good one, having gone to multiple games for both schools this year (I live in the Twin Cities), I really think this game will be very evenly matched & competitive.

See you in Tempe!

Nice post ISU phoria. It is nice to have opposing fans from Iowa come onto this board who aren't complete turds. Assashian isn't a ISU fan, from what I can tell he's one of the few Iowa fans to learn to spell and comes over here to show off.

As an Iowa State fan, I'd like to apologize for some of my fellow Clone fans on this board. (Although I am a little skeptical that they are true ISU fans). The truth is nobody knows the full details surrounding Jack Trice's death. It happened in 1923, a time when the world was a very different place and football was a very different sport. Any accusations of racism are stupid and unfounded.

The story of Jack trice is truly an interesting one and is a unique one to discuss in light our our upcoming bowl game with Minnesota. While this isn't a premier bowl game by any stretch, ISU is extremely excited to be in a bowl game after having only won 5 games total in the last two seasons. The matchup with Minnesota, a border state, makes interesting as well.

Hope the game is a good one, having gone to multiple games for both schools this year (I live in the Twin Cities), I really think this game will be very evenly matched & competitive.

See you in Tempe!

Finally, a voice of reason form the other side. It's probably safe to say the full truth about those sequence of events in 1923 will never be known. To take a tragedy like that and turn into a campaign of lies and half truths is disgusting. What we do know about that time is that deaths on the football field were all-too-frequent and series were stopped as a result quite often. The sport of football was almost banned in the early part of that century. Those are the general things we know to be true from that time.

I was on the University of Minnesota Campus (Quiznos on West Bank) on Saturday and I really didn't appreciate getting glared at by everyone before the game was even announced. Granted, I'd do the same thing to people wearing a maroon M on their sweatshirt in Ames.

Nice stadium though!!

See you in Tempe!

This. Seconded and passed by unanimous vote.

what happened that day has nothing to do with what um and isu stand for today. as a cyclone fan, i can say that we have not had our brightest moments in school history either (racism against university of iowa's first black qb). but i can say that anyone with any reason at all knows that we are not like that now, and neither are gopher fans, players, etc.
i don't know why the two schools have not started an anual series between the two. i have only heard that from isu's standpoint, we already play iowa in the big 10 every year, so a 2nd big 10 team would be more difficult to justify. i don't see why, i think both isu and um can benefit greatly from creating a new border rivalry, and hopefully it starts dec 31 in tempe. good luck gophers, your fans are a class act, but as an isu fan i must say, GO STATE!

what happened that day has nothing to do with what um and isu stand for today. as a cyclone fan, i can say that we have not had our brightest moments in school history either (racism against university of iowa's first black qb). but i can say that anyone with any reason at all knows that we are not like that now, and neither are gopher fans, players, etc.
i don't know why the two schools have not started an anual series between the two. i have only heard that from isu's standpoint, we already play iowa in the big 10 every year, so a 2nd big 10 team would be more difficult to justify. i don't see why, i think both isu and um can benefit greatly from creating a new border rivalry, and hopefully it starts dec 31 in tempe. good luck gophers, your fans are a class act, but as an isu fan i must say, GO STATE!

Good post. But seriously?? You need to come up with a more creative user name!

Good post. But seriously?? You need to come up with a more creative user name!

oops, i didn't even see you on here. all the good ones were taken on cyclonefanatic when i registered there last summer. i figured i'd have free reign on this one. guess not...:)

oops, i didn't even see you on here. all the good ones were taken on cyclonefanatic when i registered there last summer. i figured i'd have free reign on this one. guess not...:)

You know what they say..."imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!" :D

Don't worry Iowa State, we have a lot of worthless black (and white) players now. One could call us a worthless rainbow.

I agree with everyone else that you cant hold UM to what happened in the 1920's that being said their program did seem to have a history of being more violent towards black players. I found this very interesting when I did research, if you haven't read the wiki page about the creation of that pig trophy they share with Iowa its worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_of_Rosedale

That aside, I hope for a great game but in the end I would love a Cyclone victory. I think we should have a good competitive clean game and then next year we can bond by both blowing out Iowa.

I agree with everyone else that you cant hold UM to what happened in the 1920's that being said their program did seem to have a history of being more violent towards black players. I found this very interesting when I did research, if you haven't read the wiki page about the creation of that pig trophy they share with Iowa its worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_of_Rosedale

That aside, I hope for a great game but in the end I would love a Cyclone victory. I think we should have a good competitive clean game and then next year we can bond by both blowing out Iowa.

Yeah, we've read it. It's been posted a few times today already. As a matter of fact it's posted a few times every year.

Are you sure you're not a Badger or Iowa fan?

Top Bottom