Who do we keep an eye on at practice?

diefirma

Reaction score
Last summer I picked two players I thought would have breakthrough seasons. I thought Devon Wright would become a dangerous breakaway back. I had vacationed in Australia and had seen some Australian rules football so I thought Christian Eldred would be the real deal.

Meh. Predictions like that are why I don't gamble.

Wright used his speed to do a nice job on special teams but he couldn't go beyond that. Eldred was not consistent enough for a Big Ten kicker.

Never-the-less, as a not-very-bright perpetual optimist, I'll try again picking out some players I think we will be talking about at the end of spring practice.

Back for a repeat performance is Devon Wright now that he has moved out to wide receiver. I am not sure why he didn't make it at running back. Perhaps Kill wants “bangers” like Kirkwood. I don't know how good Wright's hands are but he has very, very good speed and a little shake and bake. Kill said 4.4 (please – no comments on hand timed or electronic timed) which is fast. Even if his hands are not that good he will be able to stretch the field which opens up more room for the tight ends, slot back, and running backs when they get through the line. If he does have good hands then great – he could be a star!

Two players I'm anxious to see are Mitch Leidner and Chris Streveler for slightly different reasons both because of comments that Kill made.

Kill has mentioned more then once how quick/fast Streveler is – one of the fastest players on the team and 1est or 2ed in the 10 yard dash. Wow. I don't expect him to play this year but if he can pass, with that kind of speed and quickness, he'll be Superman.

Kill also said that Leidner benched 330 pounds, squatted 430 and cleaned 310. He remarked that the defense hated going up against Leidner the most. Last year I thought Leidner was just as good a passer as Nelson. I hope so, because you know before the season is over, one of the back up QB's will have to play. Leidner has the most experience so I would expect him to be number two but it will be something to watch at practice.

Your picks? Who did I overlook?

Wait, there is something else going on at the U right now? I figured the school was shut down until Shaka-palooza was done.

I'm excited to watch the red-shirt freshmen from this past season. See if any of them are working into starting roles already.

Personally, I'm going to be scoping out A J Barkers mom's BFF.

It will be hard to estimate, but do we have a second defensive tackle to pair with Hagemann. The middle linebacker, and the safeties. They will be key to stopping the run. Which is job 1.

On the offensive side, can the offensive line come off and move the line of scrimmage? The center battle will be interesting. I want to see if Mr. Persig is ready for primetime.

And of course, can we consistently punt the ball. From our own end zone, our twenty. Our end of the field. And can we consistently pin teams inside their 20. Consistently changing the field position will be huge.

Here's the amazing part about this year's team: the only position where we really don't know what to expect is MLB. Since Claeys rotates so many guys on defense, even an area like LB where we lost 2 starters should still be solid since Hill and Manuel played a lot on the outside. The two biggest areas where we need someone to step up are MLB and CB. Between Lynn, Wilson, and Matilus, do we have someone that can clog the middle and stop the run? How does Wells adapt to corner? Shabazz and Baltazar looked ok in limited time, have they improved and how do they handle being on the field for an entire game? Are Boddy and Murray in the mix?

In the middle linebacker, he must be able get off a block and tackle the running back for little gain. He also needs the ability to step in the hole and drop a runner for no gain. And finally he needs to be able to take the proper angle from the inside out. But to be a true Middle Linebacker, you must be the most feared player on the field. Teammates and opponents. Set the tone? No. Flat out bad a$$, yes.

Wells looks great. He is going to be an awesome corner. Murray and Balthazar and shabazz compete for the other spot. Corner and d backs I expect to be BETTER than last year. LB is a big concern. Wilson I think is the key.

Wells looks great. He is going to be an awesome corner. Murray and Balthazar and shabazz compete for the other spot. Corner and d backs I expect to be BETTER than last year. LB is a big concern. Wilson I think is the key.

Yep, the two guys that I am the most focused on are Murray and Wilson.

If Wilson is a player, I feel pretty good about next year. I have no concerns of Wells at CB. The other CB, I know what we have in Shabazz, but I'd like another CB I can count on. Any insight on how Boddy looked?

Wait! What? Shaka Khan is a basketball coach???? Replacing Borton?

"I Feel For You..."

Back to the topic, It might just be wishful thinking on my end, but I'm really hoping that Harold Legania can step up. We could really use him more on the DL.

Yep, the two guys that I am the most focused on are Murray and Wilson.

If Wilson is a player, I feel pretty good about next year. I have no concerns of Wells at CB. The other CB, I know what we have in Shabazz, but I'd like another CB I can count on. Any insight on how Boddy looked?

Not noticeable, working 3rd team. Balthazar was with the ones, but it was obvious that kill really likes Murray, and shabazz looked really good also. We are a good 8 deep in the secondary before you count boddy

random

Urban Meyer seems to be able to see...Bobek looks tiny...comparitively.
How do Hayes and Pirsig not earn playing time? Most agile, best footwork, quickest linemen? Campion is impressive.
Nelson looks good not great. Maybe a smidge more solid physically.Leidner has a rocket. 4 throws look nice and the 5th is in the weeds. Streveler is quick and has size...and was nervous. Foreman got 3 more reps than me but didn't look out of place.
Lynn is quick and seems to understand angles. Wilson is a big gregarious guy who looks like he could light some people up.
Marcus Jones is a very quick corner....seemed to know where the receiver was going in addition.. Wells is bigger than you think. Roundtree is anxious to prove he can play with these guys.
Hageman is a man mountain. Hinojosa seems bulldog like. "Hank" is a pretty big kid.
The running backs looked quick....especially Gillum.
Devin Wright looks impressive in the uniform.
Random Tuesday obversations.

60's Guy

I never knew one could say so much by being random. Your posting was like a poem that said so much more than prose can say. Looking forward to more of your observations. Thanks!

Urban Meyer seems to be able to see...Bobek looks tiny...comparitively.

I agree! I was at the practice yesterday and I thought the same thing. The guy who looked surprisingly huge was Lenkiewicz! He looks bigger than 289! Ofcourse, Pirsig is huge, even though he looks slender for 308 lb. 6'9" guy!

It was fun talking to guys who had been coming for three years talk about how things look now compared to the 1st year. It looked like the guys had been doing the drills for months. Everyone down to the kicker is solid muscle! (Okay, maybe not the kicker...)

It something to watch spring offensive line drills and to see Limegrover rip into them! Second practice and he'll rip into a guy for where his eyes are going.

Damien Wilson is 6'2" 254 lbs. He doesn't look it. (It's that muscle weighs more than fat thing, I know...)

Timms and Hinojosa look athletic and "undersized". Hard to call guys in the 270's undersized!

Both Engel and Shabezz have put on muscle since I came to the spring practice last year.

Top Bottom