Which way is Joel heading

husker70

Reaction score
If I remember the press conference correctly, he stated he wanted an established Head Coach with name recognition. Made reference to Tubby. Given that leads you to candidates like Belotti, Leach, Richt, Fulmer, et al. But then their was some rumbling about age, and all of sudden candidates likes Sumlin, Shannon, Golden rise up. The former have the stated criteria, the latter lack the name recognition of the former. As the clock ticks, it becomes less likely Joel will land a Big name, and if Colorado, Georgia, or Penn State get in the mix the recognition factor will be lessened.

Finally, as everyone looks at their favorite, be Hoke, or whomever remember Joel's sated goal.

One thing is for sure, we won't know until the press conference. Everyone we've talked up very heavily so far (ie Belotti, Leach, Sumlin) will probably not be the guy.

I wouldn't put Shannon in the same category as Golden and Sumlin. He may be a first time head coach, but he has Miami headed in the right direction in a BCS Conference. I think Maturi will regret the Tubby reference. Richt is an interesting candidate, but it seems he might be just as likely to win the SEC East this year as he is to be fired. I don't think Georgia would be competing for the same type of coach as the U (commentators and internet posters have all but conceded that job once it becomes open to Kirby Smart). Penn State could go to an internal candidate or a candidate that is currently a head coach and won't come to Minnesota. If Colorado becomes open I think that job would be in direct competition with the U.

I think we know which way Joel wants to head, the question is are those candidates interested in the U.

I wouldn't put Shannon in the same category as Golden and Sumlin. He may be a first time head coach, but he has Miami headed in the right direction in a BCS Conference. I think Maturi will regret the Tubby reference. Richt is an interesting candidate, but it seems he might be just as likely to win the SEC East this year as he is to be fired. I don't think Georgia would be competing for the same type of coach as the U (commentators and internet posters have all but conceded that job once it becomes open to Kirby Smart). Penn State could go to an internal candidate or a candidate that is currently a head coach and won't come to Minnesota. If Colorado becomes open I think that job would be in direct competition with the U.

I think we know which way Joel wants to head, the question is are those candidates interested in the U.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, he has stated his intentions, if a big name coach isn't named then we will know what their answer was.

I think we know which way Joel wants to head, the question is are those candidates interested in the U.

I think the top coaches that may be looking will probably wait a little while to see what other jobs may open. We know Minnesota, and very likely Colorado will for sure be looking for coaches. However, will Penn State open up this year, what about Arizona State as that is a very good job and Erickson may be on the way out down there very soon?

I think there are enough reasonable candidates out there that, once we eliminate the uninterested, we still will have some good names to choose from.

Wow

This is kind of the direction I thought we might be heading with regards to this coaching search.

Why are we trying to read SO DAMN MUCH into what Maturi and/or Bruininks says with regards to this search????

Good grief, next we're going to get to things like, "well, he was leaning more on his left foot than his right foot when he said he wanted a "Tubby-like hire" and the last time he was leaning on his left foot when he said something, it never came to fruition...."

Or perhaps, his voice rose a little bit when he talked about being "Minnesota-like" but not necessarily FROM Minnesota so what are we to make of that??? Does the voice inflection mean he doesn't really feel that way?

Holy over-analyzation, some of you guys are going to hurt yourselves you're putting so much thought into this.

I would imagine that we're all extremely fortunate that we aren't recorded or video-taped almost every day with every quote and comment analyzed and disected to the nth degree.

This is kind of the direction I thought we might be heading with regards to this coaching search.

Why are we trying to read SO DAMN MUCH into what Maturi and/or Bruininks says with regards to this search????

Good grief, next we're going to get to things like, "well, he was leaning more on his left foot than his right foot when he said he wanted a "Tubby-like hire" and the last time he was leaning on his left foot when he said something, it never came to fruition...."

Or perhaps, his voice rose a little bit when he talked about being "Minnesota-like" but not necessarily FROM Minnesota so what are we to make of that??? Does the voice inflection mean he doesn't really feel that way?

Holy over-analyzation, some of you guys are going to hurt yourselves you're putting so much thought into this.

I would imagine that we're all extremely fortunate that we aren't recorded or video-taped almost every day with every quote and comment analyzed and disected to the nth degree.

1. This is an internet chat board for fans and we have plenty of time until they make the next hire.

2. Maturi's last football hire doesn't instill confidence is his ability to get it right the second time.

3. Hope that the administration is finally serious and this hire will be the won(on purpose) to turn around 40 years of gopher football tradition.

1. This is an internet chat board for fans and we have plenty of time until they make the next hire.

2. Maturi's last football hire doesn't instill confidence is his ability to get it right the second time.

3. Hope that the administration is finally serious and this hire will be the won(on purpose) to turn around 40 years of gopher football tradition.

You are 100% correct on all three accounts. I'm simply saying that it seems a little excessive to try to glean an extra nugget of information by trying to read between the lines of something one of these guys says.

At this point, I would actually put MUCH more stock into any rumors that are heard possibly coming out of the athletic department than what is actually verbalized by Maturi or anybody else. They aren't going to say a damn thing of value so why try so hard to find something hidden in one of their quotes? Seems like a painful exercise to me, that's all

You are 100% correct on all three accounts. I'm simply saying that it seems a little excessive to try to glean an extra nugget of information by trying to read between the lines of something one of these guys says.

At this point, I would actually put MUCH more stock into any rumors that are heard possibly coming out of the athletic department than what is actually verbalized by Maturi or anybody else. They aren't going to say a damn thing of value so why try so hard to find something hidden in one of their quotes? Seems like a painful exercise to me, that's all

Good point but I'd go a little farther. Don't put any stock into anything you read or hear about the hire. A big chunk of it is idle speculation that, as you state, everyone pours over as if it's the Dead Sea Scroll. Furthermore every agent worth his salt and a whole lot of Coaches themselves are leaking information like water through floodgates to make sure that they are being linked to a Big Ten job.

The only thing you can be sure about is no one will admit whatever they said wasn't true. ;)

What about Patterson? I just don't see his name thrown out there very much around here. Is it because people think he we have no chance at him? For me Patterson and Peterson would be my first two phone calls.

What about Patterson? I just don't see his name thrown out there very much around here. Is it because people think he we have no chance at him? For me Patterson and Peterson would be my first two phone calls.

Probably because Patterson has already turned the Gophers down once. I see him holding out for the Texas A&M job as Mike Sherman is on the hot seat there big time. It would be an easy transition for him recruiting wise and A&M could definitely afford to pay whatever the Gophers could.

Good points. I know he turned us down last time (just thing how different things might have been had he said yes........). Still, I hope they at least call him.

Joel is headed toward Wisconsin (we know the Badgers give him a funny feeling, like when he used to climb the rope in gym class) and his good buddy Paul Chryst.

Joel is working very hard and I know people would be suprised to hear the list of canidates that Joel has talked to. It will be interesting to see how people react when Joel announces the guy he has in mind. I think most people will be very excited and pleasantly suprised, but I know some will be dissappointed. It will be very intersting to see how Gopher fans react when our new head coach is announced.

Joel is working very hard and I know people would be suprised to hear the list of canidates that Joel has talked to. It will be interesting to see how people react when Joel announces the guy he has in mind. I think most people will be very excited and pleasantly suprised, but I know some will be dissappointed. It will be very intersting to see how Gopher fans react when our new head coach is announced.

It will be Les Miles based on that description.

If you think you know who it is just say, it isn't as if anyone like the media will tale it and run a story of a guess from a message board poster. Or are you just waiting till it is announced and say I knew it all along, likely.

If you think that JM will appoint the next,coach your all dreaming. He will anounce the coach, but Bruninks and TG will pick the coach!

Tony Dungy misspelled?

Which way is Joel heading

In the words of Merle Haggard: "I'm rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell." Google it, you will know what I mean.

Top Bottom