Wisconsin

All under or at .500 but nice names
Loss by 7 to Ohio state. Outback bowl.
Second in big ten east

Minnesota
11-2
Key wins:
Penn state
Auburn (northwestern will get a shot to beat auburn in outback I think)

loss to Iowa and Wisconsin
Loses tie breaker for big ten west

Oof. Indiana gets left out of the NY6.

Basically because Orange had to take North Carolina, and Fiesta had to take Oregon.

Didn’t think PAC champ would automatically still get into the NY6.

Our season.

Many Indiana fans would rather go 11-2 with a bowl win vs Auburn instead of 6-1.

I wouldn't trade our 11 win season for a six win season where we beat Wisconsin without fans. Who wants that?

See how Indiana plays in their bowl game. If they don’t do well then would be 2019 season without question. The bowl win was huge in making 2019 what it was.

2019 was a full schedule, with no teams playing with COVID-19 having an effect on their roster.

2019. No brainer.

We have to wait and see how IU does a year after their stellar season to prevent a degree of bias in this answer.

Indiana they were extremely competitive against Ohio St... Gophs got pummeled by Wisconsin...

No brainer. Indiana
Minnesota was within 7 in the mid 3rd quarter
Indiana was down 21 at the end of the 3rd quarter and didnt complete the comeback

Indiana vs Ole Miss 4-5

Indiana will finish the year without a win vs a team with a winning record unless Wisconsin wins a bowl

It's easily Minnesota. We had a higher peak rating. We had a better win (PSU). We played a full schedule where everyone was at/near full strength with true road games. Fun question to ponder, if there were 100,000 fans at Penn State is there any way that Pennix is ruled in on that 2 pt conversion that determined the game? I honestly don't think he had control but it was extremely close.

The Wisconsin game is misrembered by so many. Gophers led almost the entire first half and trailed 10-7 at the end of the half. They get down 24-10 and then have a first and goal from the 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter/start of the 4th and fail to convert. The game completely got away from them in the 4th quarter, but it easily could have been 24-17 and anyones game with ten minutes left and that's with the horrible conservative gameplan from Fleck and Co. Ohio State was up on Indiana 35-7 at one point. Great comeback by the Hoosiers but they never led in the game.

Emotionally, I'd much rather be Indiana. They didn't suffer any brutal losses to rivals to ruin perfect season/B1G West title/Rose Bowl and they only suffered one defeat to a team that everyone loses to. That would have been a much more comfortable way to have a great season from a fan perspective. I might prefer their season for that reason alone, but I don't think it was better on paper or on the field by any means.

2019 Minnesota!

Like I give a shit about Indiana.

The 2020 college football season is too out of whack to compare anything.

So we can’t say Mo had one of the best seasons for a Gopher rb?

Rankings still to come out in 2020. I would guess Indiana finishes in the upper teens. But we will see.

Indiana finishes 6-2 with wins over the following teams over .500 or better records:
Wisconsin

Indiana they were extremely competitive against Ohio St... Gophs got pummeled by Wisconsin...

No brainer. Indiana
Indiana had two possessions in the second half with the chance to tie or take the lead against Ohio state in 2020

Minnesota had one possession in the second half with the chance to tie or take the lead.

Minnesota was outgained 452 to 373
Indiana was outgained 607 491

Indiana had their two chances at the end though.

So we can’t say Mo had one of the best seasons for a Gopher rb?

He scored 15 touchdowns and had over 1100 yards in 6 games, all against conference opponents. That was the single best stretch of running back play that Minnesota has ever seen, including Thompson, Barber, and Maroney. O-line deserves some love for that too. Was very impressive.

MN sports fans are so beaten down that even when something goes well, they will twist in contortions to alter history if they can, to make it worse. We have enough heartbreak and disappointment across the board that I don’t think we need to take away from the rare good things. 2019 was awesome. Beating Penn State and finishing with an impressive win over a traditional SEC power is no comparison to doing well in a covid stricken half season that will always have an asterisk by it. Congrats to Indiana. I like their coach and the direction of their program. But there is no comparison to their 2020 and the Gopher’s 2019, regardless of how far some of us want to self-loath our way to changing history to accommodate our misery. Minnesotans are the only people that could have a debate over this.

Top Bottom