Which position group makes the biggest leap next year?

Mitu

Reaction score
I’m going to go with the TEs. While they’ve been phenomenal in the blocking game, we’ve had almost no involvement from them in the passing game. With TJ6 gone and a new OC, I’m excited to see how they grow.

It depends what you mean by biggest leap, we lost a lot along the DL, but I think several of our younger players are going to step up. We lose a lot, so the net leap will probably not be as large as other groups.

Kick off team as well as punt team. Need to cover these guys or you might as well kick it out of bounds every time.

I'm really hoping it's the DE/Edge position. Getting pressure with 4 guys has been an issue for the Gophers, and it will really help us long term if we can start getting an effective pass rush out of our edge players.

I say the offensive line. Not bad last year but I'm thinking a lot better next year.

I agree 100%. My reasons for picking the O-line as most likely to show biggest improvement:

1) They have the talent, the size, the strength, the athletic ability.

2) As GVLC stated, the offensive linemen have already shown flashes of greatness, and yet there is still room for big improvement.

3) This group will have played together as a unit for another season, and people who know these things say that cohesiveness is crucial for an offensive line. These players know each other well.

4) A smart veteran QB always makes everybody on offense look better.

5) Fleck and the Gopher coaching staff have developed a scheme on offense in which the ability to run the ball effectively is crucial, and therefore they coach (and recruit) with a big emphasis on having a strong offensive line. These coaches will work really hard to make sure the players are constantly improving.

Defensive line. We were rarely in the backfield. I think our younger guys have more upside.

O-line. They get back their top 6 guys and I think it will be the strongest unit on the team and has a chance to even be the best O-line in the Big Ten.

Special teams as a whole and no other position group even close. When we let Auburn start from 35 to 40 becuase we couldnt kick to endzone was painful. FG unit, punts, returns will all be better.

Most of this question can be answered by who gets the best caliber of room.

Offensive line. We bring back the entire unit.

Agree with other posters that STs will, and has to make the biggest leap.

Yeah...definitely have to think that special teams will improve. I cannot recall a worse kicking game.

I HOPE it is the defensive line.

Without Richter beating out Dew Treadway I think we will be in trouble

So you are giving up on - Schad, Cheney, Robinson, Anderson, Hickox and Carter already? I guess I didn't feel like MDT played that poorly either. DT don't tend to rack up a ton of stats and he was playing well enough to start all 13 games.

Richter should certainly be in the mix along the D-Line but seems like we should also have some decent depth along the D-Line, especially at the DT position in 2020. Lot of pretty highly touted young players in the group that we have yet to see get their opportunity to play. Of the spots I am concerned about next year, DT is very low on that list.

Without Richter beating out Dew Treadway I think we will be in trouble

I wouldn't put my hopes too high for Richter to have any sort of meaningful impact in 2020. He's high upside for sure, but the guy was a big project coming out of HS.

So you are giving up on - Schad, Cheney, Robinson, Anderson, Hickox and Carter already? I guess I didn't feel like MDT played that poorly either. DT don't tend to rack up a ton of stats and he was playing well enough to start all 13 games.

Richter should certainly be in the mix along the D-Line but seems like we should also have some decent depth along the D-Line, especially at the DT position in 2020. Lot of pretty highly touted young players in the group that we have yet to see get their opportunity to play. Of the spots I am concerned about next year, DT is very low on that list.

Agree. I'm actually excited about the DT position moving forward. Also, I'm excited to see what Mafe and Esezi can do in full-time starting roles.

I doubt anyone is giving up, or even close to it. What I would like to see is more chaos and pass rush pressure created without blitzes and stunts.

I doubt anyone is giving up, or even close to it. What I would like to see is more chaos and pass rush pressure created without blitzes and stunts.

FWIW I dont think that was directed at you, it was directed at the other poster who made the comment about Logan Richter.

Pretty sure every Gopher fan would agree with you there. D-Line has been a sore spot for quite some time.

And as Mitu pointed out my response was to the poster that said basically Richter has to beat out MDT or we are screwed. Essentially ignoring all the other DTs on the roster.

Top Bottom