Which current Power 5 head coaches are the best and worst vs. the Top 25? (The Worst: T(9) PJ Fleck – Minnesota – 20% (4-16))

back to the beating ranked teams thing.......

I suggest that a better analysis would be to look at it on a game-by-game basis.

i.e. beating the #24-ranked team in the country is not as impressive as beating the #10-ranked team in the country, and so forth.

so - not just 'was it an upset,' but 'how big of an upset was it?'

and where were the Gophers in the overall poll at the time of the game?

If the #31-ranked team in the country beats the #24-ranked team, it's a mild upset.

if the #40-ranked team in the country beats the #10-ranked team, it's a much bigger upset.

a little more context would be helpful.

You just proved caliGopher's point. PJ took a 9 win team and won 2 more games (with the nearly the same players) and then stayed at 9 wins. The improvement we were promised has never materialized. If it had then he would have won the west. This staff is paid 5x more, with significantly more advantages...athlete's village (which kill did the heavy lifting on), transter portal, etc. and has maintained what they inherited.
You're not really this ignorant in real life, are you?

This is a bit, right?

You are comparing coaching salaries from 10 years ago to now expecting them to be the same?
You think the teams Claeys led to a 9 win season had the same players on it as the teams Fleck coached? All of the players? Or just ones you want to remember?

Transfer portal is a significant advantage?

If Claeys was such a good coach, why did he not land another Power 5 head coaching job?

back to the beating ranked teams thing.......

I suggest that a better analysis would be to look at it on a game-by-game basis.

i.e. beating the #24-ranked team in the country is not as impressive as beating the #10-ranked team in the country, and so forth.

so - not just 'was it an upset,' but 'how big of an upset was it?'

and where were the Gophers in the overall poll at the time of the game?

If the #31-ranked team in the country beats the #24-ranked team, it's a mild upset.

if the #40-ranked team in the country beats the #10-ranked team, it's a much bigger upset.

a little more context would be helpful.

It's also easier when you play in a conference where half your teams are ranked even when they shouldn't be. Kentucky, Florida, and Ole Miss were all ranked teams last year.

Florida lost 7 games
Kentucky lost 6
Ole Miss lost 5.

If you happened to be the first of 2nd of those teams to beat them last year, you get a lot of credit for beating a ranked team, and none of them were any better than Iowa who was broadly mocked most of last season.

Top Bottom