Where's Tubby?

ski-u-mah

Reaction score
Guess he could have been around, just not mentioned...

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/07/v-mobile/1340061/john-clay-summer-basketball-a.html

John Clay: Summer basketball a must-be-seen event
By: By John Clay
Published: Thu, 07/08 @ 12:00AM
INDIANAPOLIS — Roy Williams sat on the front row of the bleacher seats at North Central High School, wearing shorts, boat shoes and something of a bored look.

A few rows up to his left sat Michigan State's Tom Izzo and South Florida's Stan Heath. To the right of those two were Purdue's Matt Painter and Butler's Brad Stevens. A couple of rows up from them was Virginia's Tony Bennett.

Down on the gym floor was a team of high school seniors-to-be out of New York named the Riverside Hawks playing the Indiana Elite, out of Bloomington, a team that featured a pair of top hoops prospects in Cody Zeller and Marshall Plumlee.

Despite that, you didn't have to look all that closely to see Izzo trying to stifle a yawn.

Welcome to the Adidas Invitational, a 225-team AAU tournament with teams from Massachusetts to California, including a couple from Canada.

It's the kickoff to the summer camp/tournament circuit, the annual necessary evil of college basketball recruiting, where coaches go to see talent, and be seen by talent.

"I'd be happy if they just got rid of summer basketball," Kentucky Coach John Calipari has said on more than one occasion.

Never fear, Calipari is on the recruiting trail. Just a different one. The Kentucky coach was in Hamburg, Germany, to watch the USA U-17 team, with a pair of UK commitments in Michael Gilchrist and Marquis Teague, play (and win) in the FIBA World Championships.

Tennessee's Bruce Pearl is also in Hamburg. So is Arkansas Coach John Pelphrey. (The Germans lost his luggage.) Florida's Billy Donovan is headed there Thursday.

But Donovan was still in Indianapolis on Wednesday, along with Kansas' Bill Self, UNLV's Lon Kruger, Southern Cal's Kevin O'Neill, Oklahoma's Jeff Capel, Alabama's Anthony Grant and Louisville's Rick Pitino, to name a few.

NCAA rules prohibit coaches from talking to the media at such venues, but in a separate interview, Pitino said he didn't mind the summer circuit.

"It's much better than just seeing a high school game," said the U of L coach. "You might make a long trip to see a kid and he's triple-teamed. When I was a young coach at Hawaii, I'd take a 13-hour flight to see a kid and he'd get in foul trouble."

The one variable at an event such as Indianapolis is the instruction.

"If they have a good coach, who knows what he's doing, you can tell a lot about the player," said Pitino, who said AAU coaching has improved to the point now where 75 percent actually run plays, change defenses. "But if you have a bad coach, you're wasting your time."

As for the older players, by this time in the recruiting process, most college coaches know which players are worthy of interest and scholarships. Most players know which coaches are seriously interested in their services. So even though a coach cannot talk to a recruit at these camps/tournaments, a coach feels he must be there to be seen by the desired player, for fear that his competitors are there to do the same.

"The top five or seven guys we're recruiting," said Pitino, "we'll be there every time they play this summer."

Thus the marquee crowd to watch Zeller, ranked 35th by Rivals.com, and Plumlee, ranked 99th. With Zeller being from Indiana, IU Coach Tom Crean made his presence known by taking a front-row seat late in the game. Zeller has a brother at North Carolina, thus Williams' attendance. Plumlee's brothers play at Duke, thus Blue Devils assistant coach Chris Collins was watching from the side of the bleachers.

That's not always the case. A big crowd turned out to watch Rivals' No. 2-ranked player, Quincy Miller, out of High Point, N.C., on Tuesday. By Wednesday, however, when the 6-foot-8 Miller's D-One Stars team lost 53-52 to Houston Elite, the crowd had dwindled, as many of the coaches were on the move, headed to the LeBron James camp in Akron, Ohio.

One exception was Pitino, who along with assistants Steve Masiello and Tim Fuller, were there in the end zone for Miller's entire game.

When it comes to summer recruiting, coaches can't afford to not be there.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/07/v-mobile/1340061/john-clay-summer-basketball-a.html#ixzz0t5zhJL00

It's been reported in a couple spots that Tubby has been in Milwaukee. Tyus Jones is there, as are Josh Oglesby, Paul Jesperson and Marcus Paige. I am sure there are others, but those would seem to be the priorities for the Minnesota staff.

It's been reported in a couple spots that Tubby has been in Milwaukee. Tyus Jones is there, as are Josh Oglesby, Paul Jesperson and Marcus Paige. I am sure there are others, but those would seem to be the priorities for the Minnesota staff.

Unfortunately, even with a big name coach like Tubby, we will be relegated to players one notch down from those at the Indy event until we start competing for Big Ten championships. Tubby needs a breakthrough year here soon in order to start attracting these types. Right now they have no interest in us, so there's little reason to be there.

Unfortunately, even with a big name coach like Tubby, we will be relegated to players one notch down from those at the Indy event until we start competing for Big Ten championships. Tubby needs a breakthrough year here soon in order to start attracting these types. Right now they have no interest in us, so there's little reason to be there.

Not necessarily true about Indy players. Ross Travis of Chaska MN is playing well there.

Hoopmasters opined:

Ross Travis 6-7 210 CF (43 Hoops) - This explosive combo forward was one of the days top surprises, as he exploded off the dribble to the rim and knocked down open 18-footer. He definitely belongs among the class of 2011's top one fifty.

Guess he could have been around, just not mentioned...

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/07/v-mobile/1340061/john-clay-summer-basketball-a.html

John Clay: Summer basketball a must-be-seen event
By: By John Clay
Published: Thu, 07/08 @ 12:00AM
INDIANAPOLIS — Roy Williams sat on the front row of the bleacher seats at North Central High School, wearing shorts, boat shoes and something of a bored look.

A few rows up to his left sat Michigan State's Tom Izzo and South Florida's Stan Heath. To the right of those two were Purdue's Matt Painter and Butler's Brad Stevens. A couple of rows up from them was Virginia's Tony Bennett.

Down on the gym floor was a team of high school seniors-to-be out of New York named the Riverside Hawks playing the Indiana Elite, out of Bloomington, a team that featured a pair of top hoops prospects in Cody Zeller and Marshall Plumlee.

Despite that, you didn't have to look all that closely to see Izzo trying to stifle a yawn.

Welcome to the Adidas Invitational, a 225-team AAU tournament with teams from Massachusetts to California, including a couple from Canada.

It's the kickoff to the summer camp/tournament circuit, the annual necessary evil of college basketball recruiting, where coaches go to see talent, and be seen by talent.

"I'd be happy if they just got rid of summer basketball," Kentucky Coach John Calipari has said on more than one occasion.

Never fear, Calipari is on the recruiting trail. Just a different one. The Kentucky coach was in Hamburg, Germany, to watch the USA U-17 team, with a pair of UK commitments in Michael Gilchrist and Marquis Teague, play (and win) in the FIBA World Championships.

Tennessee's Bruce Pearl is also in Hamburg. So is Arkansas Coach John Pelphrey. (The Germans lost his luggage.) Florida's Billy Donovan is headed there Thursday.

But Donovan was still in Indianapolis on Wednesday, along with Kansas' Bill Self, UNLV's Lon Kruger, Southern Cal's Kevin O'Neill, Oklahoma's Jeff Capel, Alabama's Anthony Grant and Louisville's Rick Pitino, to name a few.

NCAA rules prohibit coaches from talking to the media at such venues, but in a separate interview, Pitino said he didn't mind the summer circuit.

"It's much better than just seeing a high school game," said the U of L coach. "You might make a long trip to see a kid and he's triple-teamed. When I was a young coach at Hawaii, I'd take a 13-hour flight to see a kid and he'd get in foul trouble."

The one variable at an event such as Indianapolis is the instruction.

"If they have a good coach, who knows what he's doing, you can tell a lot about the player," said Pitino, who said AAU coaching has improved to the point now where 75 percent actually run plays, change defenses. "But if you have a bad coach, you're wasting your time."

As for the older players, by this time in the recruiting process, most college coaches know which players are worthy of interest and scholarships. Most players know which coaches are seriously interested in their services. So even though a coach cannot talk to a recruit at these camps/tournaments, a coach feels he must be there to be seen by the desired player, for fear that his competitors are there to do the same.

"The top five or seven guys we're recruiting," said Pitino, "we'll be there every time they play this summer."

Thus the marquee crowd to watch Zeller, ranked 35th by Rivals.com, and Plumlee, ranked 99th. With Zeller being from Indiana, IU Coach Tom Crean made his presence known by taking a front-row seat late in the game. Zeller has a brother at North Carolina, thus Williams' attendance. Plumlee's brothers play at Duke, thus Blue Devils assistant coach Chris Collins was watching from the side of the bleachers.

That's not always the case. A big crowd turned out to watch Rivals' No. 2-ranked player, Quincy Miller, out of High Point, N.C., on Tuesday. By Wednesday, however, when the 6-foot-8 Miller's D-One Stars team lost 53-52 to Houston Elite, the crowd had dwindled, as many of the coaches were on the move, headed to the LeBron James camp in Akron, Ohio.

One exception was Pitino, who along with assistants Steve Masiello and Tim Fuller, were there in the end zone for Miller's entire game.

When it comes to summer recruiting, coaches can't afford to not be there.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/07/v-mobile/1340061/john-clay-summer-basketball-a.html#ixzz0t5zhJL00

There are several events running concurrently this week. No doubt 1 or more Gopher coaches were there. Even less doubt that John Clay would recognize anyone but Tubby.

PS - note than JOHN CALIPARI wasn't there, either!

Oglesby is the top Sr in Iowa. Jesperson is the top Sr in Wisconsin. Paige is the top Jr in Iowa. Each has expressed serious interest in the Gophers already.

Really too bad the Royce and Trevor deals turned so sour, with a very solid core returning this year, it could have been a special year, and helped us / Tubby turn that corner much quicker.

Pretty sure Tommie McCune is playing in Indy at the Adidas Invitational... been on him for a while and now have offered.

There are several events running concurrently this week. No doubt 1 or more Gopher coaches were there. Even less doubt that John Clay would recognize anyone but Tubby.

PS - note than JOHN CALIPARI wasn't there, either!

Why would Calipari bother? He just waits to figure out which of his guys are going pro and then reloads with more of them in the period following the NCAAs. It's way too early for him.

Oglesby is the top Sr in Iowa. Jesperson is the top Sr in Wisconsin. Paige is the top Jr in Iowa. Each has expressed serious interest in the Gophers already.

They are nice players FOT (top 200 types)- don't get me wrong. However, we have almost zero shot at top 50 players unless they are Minnesotans. That could change if we start competing at a higher level. Tubby's window to do that here is about 2 more years. After that players will start to hear rumblings from other recruiters that he will retire before they finish at Minny.

Why would Calipari bother? He just waits to figure out which of his guys are going pro and then reloads with more of them in the period following the NCAAs. It's way too early for him.

Clipped from the John Clay article:

... When it comes to summer recruiting, coaches can't afford to not be there ...

Calipari is a coach. He apparently CAN afford not to be there.

They are nice players FOT (top 200 types)- don't get me wrong. However, we have almost zero shot at top 50 players unless they are Minnesotans. That could change if we start competing at a higher level. Tubby's window to do that here is about 2 more years. After that players will start to hear rumblings from other recruiters that he will retire before they finish at Minny.

Last I saw, Jesperson was rated #92. He played at NBAPA Top 100 camp this summer.

Paige is a consensus Top 25 pick in 2012. Note that 25 <<< 200 in math as I learned it.

Oglesby has had an impressive spring and summer on AAU circuit. He'll be Top 100 soon.

Last I saw, Jesperson was rated #92. He played at NBAPA Top 100 camp this summer.

Paige is a consensus Top 25 pick in 2012. Note that 25 <<< 200 in math as I learned it.

Oglesby has had an impressive spring and summer on AAU circuit. He'll be Top 100 soon.

That would be a fine class. I'm patient. Let's see who we get. I'm not knocking Tubby - I think you understand my point.

Not at all - I just said there are players in Indy that Gophers are recruiting. Plumlee will attend Duke like his brothers do.

Zeller may attend IU.

So, what you're saying is your reply to that original post really had nothing of value to add at all?

The point was, that until Tubby has a breakthough season, we'd be wasting our time going after the bigtime names that are playing at the Indy event this week. That is very much true.

The fact that some kid somewhere in Indiana is maybe being recruited by the Gophers doesn't add much contradiction.

Just so you don't blow a gasket, I'd be pretty happy with Oglesby, Joe Coleman, Jesperson, etc this year. But the point still remains that the Branden Dawsons, Cody Zellers of the world are not giving us the time of day when we offer. That would/will change if we can have a big breakout year with Tubby.

So, what you're saying is your reply to that original post really had nothing of value to add at all?

The point was, that until Tubby has a breakthough season, we'd be wasting our time going after the bigtime names that are playing at the Indy event this week. That is very much true.

The fact that some kid somewhere in Indiana is maybe being recruited by the Gophers doesn't add much contradiction.

Just so you don't blow a gasket, I'd be pretty happy with Oglesby, Joe Coleman, Jesperson, etc this year. But the point still remains that the Branden Dawsons, Cody Zellers of the world are not giving us the time of day when we offer. That would/will change if we can have a big breakout year with Tubby.

I clipped Hoopmasters showing Ross Travis as an example of a player in Indy that Gophers are recruiting. There are other examples. Plumlee is a Duke lock. Zeller won't be a Gopher. Branden Dawson, maybe but a longshot.

Top Bottom