Where's the love?

GopherLady

Reaction score
Many have been giving this team a pretty hard time for the past few weeks - they have a convincing win, against a team we historically have struggled against, and there are only a handful of posts...what gives!?

I know it's always easier to point out the negative, but this was a great win. I think if we had lost this one, we would of mentally had a difficult time getting past this little slump to get to the tourney. Our chances are alive and well now. Great job, Gophs!

Agree with you GL. A GREAT signature win for Tubby's TEAM!!!! I wonder too where all the bitchers and bellyachers are. There are a few of us that are with you, my friend, and additional congrats go to Tubby for his 16th season of 20 wins. What a day for us....Mich lost, tOSU lost, Wiskey lost, WE WON.....What we needed today, all 4 of 4 happened. Way to go 20-win Tubby, and great job Gophers.

Tonight was exactly the type of game I was hoping we'd play. We took it to them from the opening tip. Westbrook said in the post-game interview that the game plan was for us to force NU to react to us, which is exactly what we did. It was nice to have a game that we didn't have to sweat it out in the end. Hopefully we can build on this.

It seems to me that when we get production out of Bostick, it adds an entirely new dimension to the team.

Go Gophers!!

I agree! I think it was bring your Grandpa to the barn tonight too. For such a convincing win, the Barn was absolutely quiet!

The guys played great tonight, it was nice to see Lawrence step up and hit some big shots.

Good win against an unorthodox club that makes everything look awkward. I agree with Bleed that Bostick being on gives the team another dimension. I was happy to hear Tubby say on the post game show that Bostick had a good week of practice. Maybe he's getting it. Anyway, a really good effort especially defensively by the Gophs. Time to beat Illinois on the road!

A good win that the crowd didn't need to get excited for. If anything, I think it showed that everyone is confident enough that the team could still handle NU. I didn't think there was much reason for the confidence, but what do I know? Oh yes, I know that wasn't anything close to a signature win, but it is a win none the less.

Right bga - The problem with beating Northwestern is that even playing well against them doesn't make for compelling basketball. I did enjoy that pass from Nolen to Iverson for the jam. I hope to see more of that in the future!

It was a very nice win. It was easy to get down on them, losing 6 of 9. But it was no coincidence that we just played 6 of 9 on the road. Road games in the Big Ten are hell. The key is to defend home and steal a few. We stole a few earlier. Now we just need to ensure we defend our home floor against Bucky and Michigan and we're in.

BTW, thanks so much Big Ten Schedule Makers. Not only did we have to go through a ridiculous 6 of 9 on the road stretch, but we haven't had a Saturday home game since January 3rd. Makes it tough to come in from out of town for a game.

I loved the way we played defense tonight. It was a dominating win, in a game that we really needed to win. I just wish we could get some more consistency in the half-court offense. I think against better teams we're going to needed someone that we can rely on to score a basket when we need it. Right now, who would you bet money on taking and making a big shot for us? I'd like to say Westbrook, but he's been so streaky this year that I don't have a lot of confidence in him coming through in the clutch (yes, I remember the Wisco game, but that type of performance has been hit-or-miss for most of the season). I still believe that we'll make it into the tournament this year, which would be a great sign of progress for the program. And things are even looking better for next year. Can't wait to see what we look like with a more experienced roster, plus some big time additions to the team (Mbakwe, White, Williams, Cobbs, & Allen)!

A good win that the crowd didn't need to get excited for. If anything, I think it showed that everyone is confident enough that the team could still handle NU. I didn't think there was much reason for the confidence, but what do I know? Oh yes, I know that wasn't anything close to a signature win, but it is a win none the less.

Very surprising win (from a margin standpoint), however, I'm guessing most people thought this was a game the Gophers should've won, regardless of their slump or how finicky a team NU can be. At the end of the day, they beat a 9th place team at home. Not exactly breaking news...

Like many have already said, this was exactly what the doctor ordered. Confidence is a huge factor with 18-22 year olds and drubbing an opponent like this does wonders for that. Winning at Illinois will be a b!tch, but had they lost tonight, they would've gotten pounded on Thursday. They still very well could, but at least they're heading down there on a winning note and have something to feel good about...

This was the easiest remaining game so I think they still need win 2 of 3 to get in. The swing game looks to be Sconny at home. That could be the biggest game at the Barn in quite some time. Yeah, all games are big, but it appears it will be a big one for both teams.

TCOB at home and they're in...

Very surprising win (from a margin standpoint), however, I'm guessing most people thought this was a game the Gophers should've won, regardless of their slump or how finicky a team NU can be. At the end of the day, they beat a 9th place team at home. Not exactly breaking news...

Like many have already said, this was exactly what the doctor ordered. Confidence is a huge factor with 18-22 year olds and drubbing an opponent like this does wonders for that. Winning at Illinois will be a b!tch, but had they lost tonight, they would've gotten pounded on Thursday. They still very well could, but at least they're heading down there on a winning note and have something to feel good about...

This was the easiest remaining game so I think they still need win 2 of 3 to get in. The swing game looks to be Sconny at home. That could be the biggest game at the Barn in quite some time. Yeah, all games are big, but it appears it will be a big one for both teams.

TCOB at home and they're in...

Agreed. The Wisconsin game is the key. I have a feeling Michigan may go in the tank given thier upcoming schedule, so that may not be as tough a game as we think.

I'm happy.

I'm happy not just because we won but because we came out and took control right away. NW was never a threat. It was great to see us give consistent effort for the whole game. The 1-3-1 bogged us down a bit in the second half but I thought we maintained our intensity on D, which had been an issue in some recent games. In fact one of the announcers (McCormick?) made similar comments.

I disagree that this was a great win...it was a must win game against Northwestern at home. If you want to be an NCAA tournament team, you win that game. I also disagree that this has been a "little" losing streak as the Gophers had lost 6 of 9 and played pretty poorly againt Indiana in a win over that 9 game stretch. It's been a long time since the Gophers have played well.

That said, I was happy to see the Gophers play well tonight. It was very nice to see a respectable amount of points scored in the first 10 minutes of the game for a change. I like that they took Northwestern out in the first half, and then proceeded to keep them out of the game through the final twenty minutes. It was nice to see Bostick make a contribution early and to see how much better the entire team handled Northwestern's zone defenses.

I hope the team can capture the momentum of this game because we need that win at Illinois pretty badly. Now winning at Illinois with tourney hopes in the balance? That would qualify as a great win.

"Good win against an unorthodox club that makes everything look awkward."

thank you

Also like to add where is the love for Westbrook?? A lot of people are down on him, but its no coincidence that he had a big night and we played well, after a stretch with him struggling where we didn't play well. We need production out of him. A consistent 13/14 points a night would do wonders for this team.

Westy got some nice looks tonight. He's pretty good with that three when he's open. Plus after getting stuffed a few times driving into the bigs over the last couple of weeks he's made a nice adjustment with that pull up. I noticed a little smaller team rotation tonight and more aggression out of our bigs. It could have been the match up but hopefully Tubby explained the facts of life to these boys playing in the B10. Over the last two games I've seen some guys falling into roles, that's a good sign. If we can get our more than capable talent maximizing everyone's strengths we've got a chance. Carter not scoring but grabbing boards and getting to the line. Westy as i mentioned. iverson making a couple of nice moves to the basket, ralphy leading a fast break. There was some more growth. thursday will be telling.

There's not a lot of board activity because the trolls aren't here after a loss;)

I agree! I think it was bring your Grandpa to the barn tonight too. For such a convincing win, the Barn was absolutely quiet!

The guys played great tonight, it was nice to see Lawrence step up and hit some big shots.

I can't wait for Bucky to come to town. The barn will be deafening!

Many have been giving this team a pretty hard time for the past few weeks - they have a convincing win, against a team we historically have struggled against, and there are only a handful of posts...what gives!?

I know it's always easier to point out the negative, but this was a great win. I think if we had lost this one, we would of mentally had a difficult time getting past this little slump to get to the tourney. Our chances are alive and well now. Great job, Gophs!

We are 87-57 all time against NU

It was a nice performance and a much needed win, but at the same time it was a home win against Northwestern. Even though the Mildcats are improved this season, anytime we play them at home a win should be expected.

We are 87-57 all time against NU

I was referring to struggling against them more recently, like the past 10 years. "Historically" may not have been the best choice of words on my part. I'm not going to dig up a W-L record, but I remember a number of years we lost both games to them, and many years where we split. Which would fine against MSU or WI - but when you look at how NU has done, and has not been a tournament team, you'd expect to win those games, but we haven't. If you don't think we've struggled against their 1-3-1, we'll just have to disagree on that.

This was a must-win and we got the job done. I just don't think there are any "gimme's" this year in the BT.

Zepp, you stated:

"It was a nice performance and a much needed win, but at the same time it was a home win against Northwestern. Even though the Mildcats are improved this season, anytime we play them at home a win should be expected. "

Tell that to Mich State. Nothing is easy this year in the BT.

Monson struggled with the 1-3-1 at times, but beating Northwestern at home is nothing to get too excited about. A win is a win, and its time to try to find 2 more in the 3 remaining big ten games.

I'm more pleased with the effort and fluidity of the offense than anything else. It's still far from perfect, but it appears as though they picked up some confidence. They'll need to continue to progress in their final 3, but this was very encouraging.

Top Bottom