Where will Gophers be in initial NET rankings?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Initial NET rankings for 2019-20 season come out later today. Where will the 5-5 Gophers be ranked?

Despite not having a win away from home, Gophers initial ranking should be decent considering their record. I’ll go with #66.

Playing a brutal schedule and beating the #1 NET Ranking team helps. Shows that there is still a chance for this squad!

Definitely an encouraging number as a starting point, all things considered. Now need to start stacking quality wins, continuing with #41 Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Very interesting to see how this all shakes out. If they can put together a .500 Big10 campaign, they could have good numbers, but with a low number of overall wins. Then you hope the committee ignores that.

Definitely an encouraging number as a starting point, all things considered. Now need to start stacking quality wins, continuing with #41 Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Not bad when you look at these numbers. So we have a huge win over the #1 team, road losses to #4, #33 and #54, neutral loss to #37, a home loss to #43. So all of our losses have been to pretty quality teams - and like SS said we have a chance to add a great Q1 or Q2 win next weekend against Ok State.

Given all the negativity surrounding the team up to this point in the season, I think it's fair to say our tough schedule has not only allowed us the opportunity for being challenged and early growth, but also to be able to say at 5-5, everything we want to accomplish this year still lies in front of us.

We're in! First round NCAA hotel reservations confirmed.

Given their strength of schedule, it's not impossible to make the dance with a .500 record. Indiana and Texas barely missed out last year, and I remember Vanderbilt made the NCAA tournament a few years ago with a .500 record because their strength of schedule was top 5. Obviously getting ahead of ourselves, as the team needs to play more consistent the rest of the year. There won't be many "bad" loss opportunities in the Big Ten this year (guessing NW and Nebraska are the only teams that are 100+ in the NET?). Still hoping this team can at least make the NIT.

Last edited:

Given their strength of schedule, it's not impossible to make the dance with a .500 record. Indiana and Texas barely missed out last year, and I remember Vanderbilt made the NCAA tournament a few years ago with a .500 record because their strength of schedule was top 5. Obviously getting ahead of ourselves, as the team needs to play more consistent the rest of the year. There won't be many "bad" loss opportunities in the Big Ten this year (guessing NW and Nebraska are the only teams that are 100+ in the NET?). Still hoping this team can at least make the NIT.

Vanderbilt 2016-17 team is an excellent example of the path Gophers could follow, though they did finish above .500. Commodores were 17-14 in the regular season, then won 2 games in the SEC Tournament to take a 19-15 record into the NCAA Tournament.

I will say I think it's pretty important that the Gophers beat Oklahoma State. You want to have at least 1 quality non-conference win on your resume, and the Cowboys are the last opportunity for the Gophers in that regard.

48!!

Basically twice as high as North Carolina.

With this post, mods, I nominate @MUgopher32 for a timeout from Gopherhole. They have tanked one thread with this crap already and then they bring it up unprovoked on this one which will likely render this otherwise interesting thread unreadable.

With this post, mods, I nominate @MUgopher32 for a timeout from Gopherhole. They have tanked one thread with this crap already and then they bring it up unprovoked on this one which will likely render this otherwise interesting thread unreadable.

My bad on getting baited back in. I deleted my response.

I didn't bring up North Carolina in the other thread.

You didn't have to respond to my post. The gophers are 48 in the NET(very good) and they are nearly double North Carolina(a blue blood). Its extremely relevant to the thread.

Also, 11 BIG teams in the top 51. It's early and the rankings will probably drastically change by mid conference play....but that is crazy.

Right now almost every win will vary from solid to excellent

We're in! First round NCAA hotel reservations confirmed.
Reserved in every first-round city! Got the bases covered.

Seriously, this is really encouraging. Just keep improving incrementally and cheer for the Buckeyes the rest of the way.

Anyone remember where we started last season? I just recall we were hanging pretty low for a while.

Anyone remember where we started last season? I just recall we were hanging pretty low for a while.

Article in Strib says we are higher this year than we were last year after 10 games.

Vanderbilt 2016-17 team is an excellent example of the path Gophers could follow, though they did finish above .500. Commodores were 17-14 in the regular season, then won 2 games in the SEC Tournament to take a 19-15 record into the NCAA Tournament.

I will say I think it's pretty important that the Gophers beat Oklahoma State. You want to have at least 1 quality non-conference win on your resume, and the Cowboys are the last opportunity for the Gophers in that regard.
What is Oklahoma State ranked in NET rankings? I assume they're a pretty solid P5 team but other than that I don't know much about them. If we play anywhere close to how we did against OSU I'd imagine we should have a good shot at getting the W.

What is Oklahoma State ranked in NET rankings? I assume they're a pretty solid P5 team but other than that I don't know much about them. If we play anywhere close to how we did against OSU I'd imagine we should have a good shot at getting the W.

Oklahoma State is #40. Have yet to lose a road/neutral game. (both losses at home). That includes Syracuse (neutral), Ole Miss (neutral), and Houston (true road).

Listened to Pitino on the radio last night. First off, as a person you got to like this guy. He was funny, quick witted and self deprecating. But anyways mentioned the NET and that they are in a good place, but that they need to do more going forward tan just losing to good teams. Said Iowa was a disaster but felt overall they had pretty good. Hopefully good enough to win another 8 or so in the non-con.

Listened to Pitino on the radio last night. First off, as a person you got to like this guy. He was funny, quick witted and self deprecating. But anyways mentioned the NET and that they are in a good place, but that they need to do more going forward tan just losing to good teams. Said Iowa was a disaster but felt overall they had pretty good. Hopefully good enough to win another 8 or so in the non-con.

If we are going to game the NET, I would rather have it be playing good teams close than blasting really crappy teams out of the water like NC State did last year. At least playing good teams has the chance of increasing the quality of the product on the floor, and maybe helping to beat the number one team in the country. Tatoring 300 and worse teams does nothing for on court improvement.

If we are going to game the NET, I would rather have it be playing good teams close than blasting really crappy teams out of the water like NC State did last year. At least playing good teams has the chance of increasing the quality of the product on the floor, and maybe helping to beat the number one team in the country. Tatoring 300 and worse teams does nothing for on court improvement.

I agree. It is also much better for a fan viewing experience. I don't want to watch 12 games of pounding Alabama A&M's into submission.

On the other hand Pitino made a good point that a good part of the fanbase sees 5-5 and just assumes all is lost. Probably why there was less than 10,000 in the house for the number 3 team in country. And Pitino was really blaming them, just stating that 10-0 turns more heads of the average fans than your net ranking.

I agree. It is also much better for a fan viewing experience. I don't want to watch 12 games of pounding Alabama A&M's into submission.

On the other hand Pitino made a good point that a good part of the fanbase sees 5-5 and just assumes all is lost. Probably why there was less than 10,000 in the house for the number 3 team in country. And Pitino was really blaming them, just stating that 10-0 turns more heads of the average fans than your net ranking.

For my money, I like the upgraded schedule, but I do think he may have been a bit aggressive for a team with so many new comers. 10-0 may turn heads but can also be a mirage. I would count me in the all seems (almost) lost category. Winning a couple of those "name" games would have been helpful for fan confidence. Also think DePaul and Oklahoma were tougher outs than he expected. If they turn it around this year, it will be a great ride. It is nice seeing them get better almost every game. A win on Saturday would boost my confidence.

For my money, I like the upgraded schedule, but I do think he may have been a bit aggressive for a team with so many new comers. 10-0 may turn heads but can also be a mirage. I would count me in the all seems (almost) lost category. Winning a couple of those "name" games would have been helpful for fan confidence. Also think DePaul and Oklahoma were tougher outs than he expected. If they turn it around this year, it will be a great ride. It is nice seeing them get better almost every game. A win on Saturday would boost my confidence.
That was my first thought, too. On the other hand, things would take on a whole different look had Amir elected to return.

They were locked into playing at Utah, Butler and against OK State. DePaul seemed like a smart game to add. The one I would probably undo if I was Pitino is agreeing to the Sioux Falls game against Oklahoma. One more home game against an easier opponent would have been nice.

It's early and a couple of big wins really impacts the ranking but the Gophers jumped to 30 this week.

It's early and a couple of big wins really impacts the ranking but the Gophers jumped to 30 this week.

I'll take it. As far as I can see, there are no NET busters in the B1G other than Nebraska, possibly Northwestern. Keep winning and the NET stays up. And the glory of the NET is that even if they lose close, the NET may still stay up. To still have a shot despite the bad NC record is amazing.

Will be interesting to see what the FAU game brings. Will need a 30 point win to keep it from doing too much damage to the NET.

Top Bottom