Where every B1G team falls in ESPN's preseason FPI rankings

From Saturday Tradition:
Seriously! Nebraska over Gophers? I'm getting sick of this.
  • No. 46: Nebraska
  • No. 49: Minnesota
Emphasis on the “Tradition” part, undoubtedly. Of course, these are ESPN’s rankings. The only idiotic one is Nebraska. Maybe Indy is benefiting from recency bias. Again and alas, until we start beating Iowa and Sconnie more regularly, we are relegated to this middling realm. Beats our sometime address on and around the lower rungs . . . but still sucks, and for the moment still true.

If you view 2019 as an outlier, which it very likely may be, being around Nebraska sounds about right.

If you view 2019 as an outlier, which it very likely may be, being around Nebraska sounds about right.
Yep, lot of pressure this year to validate what we saw in 2019. Most people will be willing to view 2020 as a bit of a throw-a-way year if we get back to playing like we did in 2019. This holds true for a lot of teams as 2020 was such an odd year that it is tough to make too many predictions based on what happened during it.

But we are still going to be relegated to the "prove it" portion of any sort of pre-season rankings and polls. Which is fair.

Iowa State ranked #4... ahead of Ohio State.

Hmmmmm...

I can't believe anyone with a brain would put Mississippi State at #8 after their season in 2020. I guess they have a lot of faith in the Pirate.

Emphasis on the “Tradition” part, undoubtedly. Of course, these are ESPN’s rankings. The only idiotic one is Nebraska.
FPI is algorithmic, no bias towards faded glory or recent success. It weights last year's performance, returning stats, coaching tenure, and incoming recruits in the preseason/early season rankings. NE over MN is likely a reflection of higher on-paper recruits coming in.

FPI overview

If those are the ingredients/weightings, then it is a recipe/formula that has a very great chance for the flavor/outcome to be “off”.

I will give it the credence it deserves, therefore.

Meh,...when its all said and done, this list and the season-ending list will resemble one another as much as Prince William and Prince Harry.

FPI is algorithmic, no bias towards faded glory or recent success. It weights last year's performance, returning stats, coaching tenure, and incoming recruits in the preseason/early season rankings. NE over MN is likely a reflection of higher on-paper recruits coming in.

FPI overview
That’s all true. fPI sucks though. Especially preseason FPi

We could beat Nebraska by 40 points and they'd still be ranked ahead of us. Just wait until the pre-season hype about their QB, once again. Then be prepared to watch him struggle, per usual.

FPI overview
It's a pretty interesting algorithm that rates Iowa State several spots above Ohio State. Ohio State loses significant production each year (to the NFL), but it always has has a backlog of four years of recruiting at the very highest level (4 and 5 stars almost exclusively) that allows it to reload annually rather than rebuild. I wonder what weight the ESPN algorithm gives to Ohio States recruiting classes for 2020, 2019 and 2018 versus the same for Iowa State.

Iowa State's early schedule looks to be pretty soft, except game #2 against the Hawkeyes on 9/11/21. Iowa State will face some significant opponents in the latter half of its schedule. Maybe they will prove to be a CFP team, as befits a #4 rsanking, but I kind of doubt it.

Gopher paranoia returns, the I get no respect mantra is heard again.
Cooler heads have written the truth.
These articles are nothing but an opinion, nothing more.
Repeat 2019 and all will be well; fail to win and PJ will started to be doubted by his cult.

Iowa State will have a lot to live up to...most preseason polls I have seen have them top 10.

Gopher paranoia returns, the I get no respect mantra is heard again.
Cooler heads have written the truth.
These articles are nothing but an opinion, nothing more.
Repeat 2019 and all will be well; fail to win and PJ will started to be doubted by his cult.
You think rating Minnesota coming off a losing season with a tough schedule being rated 49 is no respect?

I think that any rating system before the season starts is not worth wasting my time reading it or responding to it.

Top Bottom