Where does Hageman play?

tree44

Reaction score
I thought he was a sure TE, but 2 analysts on ESPNU both project him as a OT or a possible DT/DE? I guess it makes sense, but just wondering if anyone had heard anything on this or had some thoughts.

I guess I'm wondering the same about KGM - will he stay as a TE?

he's definitely a tight end, if he plays offensive tackle im never watching football again

Just want to point out that he is 10 pounds shy of being the same weight and two inches taller than Antonio Gates (according to information on rivals and the Chargers' website) I think Brew knows a Tight End type player when he sees one.

wow - never again huh. i thought he was a TE all along, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard about a position move like they mentioned on ESPNU.

The thought of him being an OT or DL has been around for most of his recruitment. With his size as a senior in high school, it would not be a surprise if he grew more and outgrew the TE position. A TE recruit is the most versitile athlete recruited. Due to their size they can be transformed into multiple positions(OL,DL,TE). Coaches like recruiting players who played TE because it shows that player has some athletic ability for his size.

I thought he was a sure TE, but 2 analysts on ESPNU both project him as a OT or a possible DT/DE? I guess it makes sense, but just wondering if anyone had heard anything on this or had some thoughts.

I guess I'm wondering the same about KGM - will he stay as a TE?

With his size and two-sport athleticism, they have to be thinking about giving this guy looks at multiple positions if he's interested. If he isn't interested in playing any defense or non-TE offense, it's pointless to try and move him. There are exceptions, but that never seems to work out too well.

You might start seeing some passing out of a two TE lineup. With a guy like that it really adds to your flexibility. Not an interior OL by any means.

I cann't wait

To see Henderson and Hageman line up next to each other. And if they do not use him in the middle of the field to keep the safeties honest, shame on them.

You're sharing a hotel room with a 500lb gorilla. There's only one bed. Where does the gorilla sleep?

The ESPNU guys should talk to the coaches first before making those conclusions. Brewster loves Rashede as a TE and has zero intention of moving him. Same goes for Alipate, alot of people like to talk about him moving to LB or TE but if they try to move him from QB, he will leave and go somwhere else to play QB even though he loves MN, thats the only position he wants to play.

that's great. i think having a guy like Hageman at the TE spot would create some huge advantages for this team. i don't put a lot of stock in what the tv analysts are saying about specific guys - they don't seem to do a lot of inside work unless you're a fan of LSU, USC, OHIO ST, etc.

What I like best about Hageman at TE is that we've seem to have established a nice line of great TE's at Minn. He has a great chance to continue that trend.

I have fewer ?'s about hageman than I do about what this means for lair. I think with possible two TE sets there's plenty of room for three TE's in rotation, but still I wonder.

I like the versatility

What I like best about Hageman at TE is that we've seem to have established a nice line of great TE's at Minn. He has a great chance to continue that trend.

I have fewer ?'s about hageman than I do about what this means for lair. I think with possible two TE sets there's plenty of room for three TE's in rotation, but still I wonder.

Depending upon whether he has bulked up, I think Lair is sort of a combo TE/WR. If you go with two TE (Hageman & Lair) you have the ability to be very unpredictable. It looks like a running set, but both of the TE's can go out and catch it. So if you can establish the run early, you can go play-action to good effect. I believe that Lair can be a bad match-up for most LBs. I would think that Lair would be a great guy to split out. Especially dangerous if the opposing D just sees 2 TEs and goes big.

I like the versatility of having guys that can do multiple things and a variety of players with different skills that you can use to confuse the D and create bad match-ups.

I like the versatility of having guys that can do multiple things and a variety of players with different skills that you can use to confuse the D and create bad match-ups.

Good point. Having this vesatility will be very helpful in disguising the play with what might be obvious reads otherwise. It's the one worry I have with how we mix things up next year.

I am surprised that up until this point it seems (at least to me) Hageman has not received a great deal of attention on this board. Tom Lemming had him ranked as the #1 high school senior TE in the country, although Rivals had him at #6 and Scout at #11. Other stuff I have read on him sounds like he has pretty good hands and is already a good blocker. It seems that he may be a bit raw, Scout lists speed as his "area for improvement", and ESPN recruting said he needs added size!

With his size and skills, I am surprised he was not rated higher by some of the services. Regardless, I am pretty excited about him. I watched Oklahoma a few times this year, and their TE, Gresham, really made that offense go. Now I realize that our talent is not quite up to Oklahoma's level yet, but I would love to see Hageman fit that type of role.

What do you all think--what are the chances of Hageman having a big impact on the field in 2009?

In general we expect way too much out of our freshmen. He'll get his reps, but it takes a while. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll know just what we have.

Remember ESPN is the main source of thease OL ideas

GopherBeef;29496 said:
But ESPN is basing this on the fact that they see him as a OL and not a tight end. With our experience returning and the good recruits, plus transfer, someone would have to be totally nuts, or to lazy to see who else is on campus to see us moving Hageman to the Interior. This guy could be a match-up nightmare. Linebackers could be too slow and Safeties too short to stop him from catching passes. I really do hope they work him in to the plan. A few completions behind the linebackers, safeties cheat up to cover, and the post route is wide open to Carpenter or Green behind them. Sounds good to me.

Top Bottom