When was the last time a big 10 basketball coach was hired who had never been a head coach?

Dwight Schrute

When I die I want to be frozen
Reaction score
I have no idea if Ben Johnson will be a good hire or not? But this runs the risk of becoming the Tim Brewster hire repeating itself again in basketball. But it's a huge risk to hire a guy who has never been the head coach of any team before. Setting up your own culture, system, assistants, etc is much different than just being an assistant. Especially at the Big 10 Level.

It seems like there are a number of coaches who had only been assistants prior to getting their Big Ten head coaching job. As far as I can tell the list includes: Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Greg Gard, Juwan Howard, Chris Collins, and Micah Shrewsberry.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this model and I wish the Gophers had hired someone with head coaching experience and a record of success. I guess we just have to hope that the local AAU scene (or cult, if you prefer) will be sufficiently satisfied by this hire.

I have no idea if Ben Johnson will be a good hire or not? But this runs the risk of becoming the Tim Brewster hire repeating itself again in basketball. But it's a huge risk to hire a guy who has never been the head coach of any team before. Setting up your own culture, system, assistants, etc is much different than just being an assistant. Especially at the Big 10 Level.

So plugged in Dwight Wight

PSU, Mi, Wisconsin, mi state off top of my head

It seems like there are a number of coaches who had only been assistants prior to getting their Big Ten head coaching job. As far as I can tell the list includes: Tom Izzo, Matt Painter, Greg Gard, Juwan Howard, Chris Collins, and Micah Shrewsberry.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this model and I wish the Gophers had hired someone with head coaching experience and a record of success. I guess we just have to hope that the local AAU scene (or cult, if you prefer) will be sufficiently satisfied by this hire.
Lets clear some things up here! Far too much false news:
1. Izzo had head coaching experience prior.
2. Painter coached the Salukis.
3. Gard took over as interim coach for a partial season and had coached with Ryan for many years,
4. Howard coached in the NBA as an assistant (but it was the NBA),
5. Chris collins was mentored by Mike Krzyzewski and at least an associate coach under coach K (Hardly like being mentored by Richard P like our new guy),
6. Shrewsberry was head coach at Indiana University South Bend

Based on this paragraph from Gard's bio on the Wisconsin MBB website, it appears he DID have head coaching experience, albeit at the junior high school level. Does that count??

"Prior to joining Ryan's staff in Platteville, Gard spent three seasons at Southwestern High School and one at Platteville High School, where he served in junior high and assistant varsity coaching capacities."

Tom Izzo was a head coach in high school. He had no experience as a head coach in college.

Lets clear some things up here! Far too much false news:
1. Izzo had head coaching experience prior.
2. Painter coached the Salukis.
3. Gard took over as interim coach for a partial season and had coached with Ryan for many years,
4. Howard coached in the NBA as an assistant (but it was the NBA),
5. Chris collins was mentored by Mike Krzyzewski and at least an associate coach under coach K (Hardly like being mentored by Richard P like our new guy),
6. Shrewsberry was head coach at Indiana University South Bend
Izzo head coached high school, never collegiate. Shrewsberry coached in the NAIA. It's not like they had loads of head coaching experience. The rest of the guys, as you noted, had never been a head coach. Isn't that what you were asking about?

Big Ten Level? Are you watching the tourney?

Top Bottom