When is the Saudi PIF going to buy a college football team?

fmlizard

Reaction score
PIF + NIL = final collapse of any sort of amateurism or fairness in CFB.

This article talks about the NFL but taking over college football (via a random team or two) would be far cheaper to them, and perhaps more unsettling to the USA.

I think the 4 major sports will keep PIF out. And really don't see how it could work at any public university as they would want some credit for buying the players. Now MLS? Absolutely.

I think the 4 major sports will keep PIF out. And really don't see how it could work at any public university as they would want some credit for buying the players. Now MLS? Absolutely.
The Saudis probably only want in on things that don't have a salary cap, so college sports would be perfect for them. Maybe MLB too.

The Saudis probably only want in on things that don't have a salary cap, so college sports would be perfect for them. Maybe MLB too.
There is currently a salary cap of 0 in college sports

The Saudi’s probably don’t want to get into the game of indirectly offering contracts to 17-22 year old kids they don’t have under contract.

MLB is a much better bet. The players they bought would be under contract

I don't see them getting into college football because...the profits will all go back to the university anyways. Boosters "buy" recruits with NIL because they are passionate about the school and want to see it win, not because their investment will turn a profit.

I'd bet the "Public Investment Fund" would rather go buy a team that they can reap the profits from when they are successful - that's what an investment fund's goal should be, right? Buy a major league team, give it the salary to compete with the Yankees, and see how much money you can make.

The Athletic has a big article on this and the potential impact to college football:

The Athletic granted anonymity to four athletic directors so they could speak freely on the subject, and each of them laughed when the question was posed. Mostly nervous laughter.

“Oh, goodness,” said athletic director No. 1 before a short pause to ponder the question.

Athletic directors live in the world of athletic funding. Hiring coaches earns them plaudits from fans, but fundraising and balancing budgets are the biggest parts of their job, so they seemed like the best option to answer the question.

I also called two industry experts who consult with schools to aid their navigation of the ever-changing landscape of name, image and likeness for their takes.

“I’d say close to 50 percent of schools and athletic department leaders would navigate their way to yes,” industry source No. 1 said. “If you’d asked me before the LIV/PGA Tour came together, I would have said less than 10 percent. Because even the most aggressive and thoughtful athletic directors, everyone is afraid to go first when it comes to the PIF and their involvement in American sports. And the PGA just went first.”

Any institution accepting money from Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s government would absorb an avalanche of immediate, deserved criticism. A CIA report released in 2021 concluded that bin Salman approved the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The nation executed 81 men in one day in 2022 amid reports that few if any of the victims received a fair trial. There are severe restrictions on women’s rights and freedom of speech and homosexuality is illegal.

An FBI report declassified in 2021 pointed to the Saudi government as complicit in helping fund the 9/11 attacks in New York and Washington D.C.

“You know in some ways better than we do how much we will rationalize and twist to find a reason why something is OK because we want it to be OK,” athletic director No. 2 said.

Both industry sources saw a marriage between the Saudis and college football as something that could come to the sport soon. At the very least, they agreed a school pondering a possible engagement is imminent.

“There’s a way to say yes and do it,” industry source No. 1 said.

As for the athletic directors?

One said it won’t happen. Two said it’s all-but-inevitable. Another said it could happen, but it won’t look as simple as cutting a school a big check and getting a seat at the table.

So what would happen if college football’s newest super booster was the Saudi Arabian PIF?

“That’s a great question,” athletic director No. 1 said. “We’d make a lot of money.”

Go Gophers!!

The Athletic has a big article on this and the potential impact to college football:

So what would happen if college football’s newest super booster was the Saudi Arabian PIF?

“That’s a great question,” athletic director No. 1 said. “We’d make a lot of money.”
"We" being the university. I still can't see what the Saudi's would get out of it. Would it be legal to promise them a cut of the inevitable T-shirt sales and such that would come from having a more successful team? Could the school promise them some of the money that comes from getting extra revenue? Would a university's board of regents need to approve any of this?

As for the article and it's potential impact on college football, it was rather scant, no? The article was basically 4 athletic directors saying they don't really know anything.

The question posed is better as “would you take funding from a highly questionable source if it meant your team could improve dramatically in spite of the PR hit you would take”

PIF + NIL = final collapse of any sort of amateurism or fairness in CFB.

This article talks about the NFL but taking over college football (via a random team or two) would be far cheaper to them, and perhaps more unsettling to the USA.

So the Saudis would buy a major university or two?

the Gophers can surely use a Sugar Daddy. Just saying...

Well ya learn something new every day. I'd never heard the term before.

Thanks, and I'm not trying to reply to you specifically, but I'm not sure that would work in college. As a comparison, I could see it working in the NFL. Buy the vikings, or Lions, etc. and spend big and if you bring a Super Bowl trophy to a place like that, that will outshine anything going on in their country.

Not sure it would work in college, maybe a team like Auburn in the SEC would be appreciative (a team with passionate fans but no real hope in the forseeable future) , but I'd think the rest of college fans would just be pissed and/or ignore Auburn, etc. The Saudis might even get everyone else pissed at them if they did if for a specific college.

As NBA, MLB and NFL teams values are now valued in the multi-Billions of dollars, I do not see how in the future they can keep PIF out (or some figurehead).

There's only so many individuals that can come up with that kind of dough to purchase franchises.

There's only so many individuals that can come up with that kind of dough to purchase franchises.
Very interesting point. It reminds me of my aunt talking about the houses in Edina and how no one else can afford to move into them. Well, maybe @Yah-E but that's about it.

So the Saudis would buy a major university or two?
No, they would "buy" the players via NIL deals to constitute the football team.

What if the PIF decided to give Central Michigan players all $5M/yr each to promote the KSA and Aramco?

In that case, the Chips are going to the CFP fast!

Very interesting point. It reminds me of my aunt talking about the houses in Edina and how no one else can afford to move into them. Well, maybe @Yah-E but that's about it.
It's not the Saudis/PIL but neighboring Qatar is buying into the DC franchises owned by Ted Leonsis. Just a minority amount 5%, so far.

No, they would "buy" the players via NIL deals to constitute the football team.

What if the PIF decided to give Central Michigan players all $5M/yr each to promote the KSA and Aramco?

In that case, the Chips are going to the CFP fast!
This would help them how?

Well they bought the PGA and created LIV. They could buy the MLS and make the rules whatever they want.

This would help them how?
Just to say they can.

It's about projecting global power through money, and they don't have to put up a single sign for it.

Because the media and public opinion will take care of the rest once their handpicked squad starts to dominate and upset all remaining traditions in what is the most culturally American sport of them all, college football.

Top Bottom