What went awry with Mike Sanford Jr. and what works with Kirk Ciarrocca - Andy Greder

Iceland12

Reaction score
Morgan and Ciarrocca seem in sync and the good times have rolled through two blowout wins over lesser foes to start the 2022 season. Ciarrocca returned after two seasons in which things never seemed to fully click with Mike Sanford Jr. leading the U offense.

Sanford now visits Minnesota as Colorado’s offensive coordinator; it’s the 2-0 Gophers versus the 0-2 Buffaloes at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Huntington Bank Stadium.

"After Ciarrocca left for Penn State in 2020, head coach P.J. Fleck hired a friend in Sanford, thinking their off-field relationship would lead to on-field success. It never panned out, in particular with the Gophers passing game taking a big step back in 2021.

The U had continued to use a lot of similar offensive schemes from Ciarrocca’s first tenure in 2017-19, but the disconnect with Sanford came outside Xs and Os. The communication, connectivity and a smooth work flow between Sanford, players and staff was left wanting.

Then Fleck told Sanford last November that his contract would not be renewed after two seasons as offensive coordinator. Unsurprisingly, their friendship has gone cold.

Morgan said this week he’s grateful for Sanford’s influence on his career. “I’m really appreciative of him of the investment that he poured into me and a lot of people,” Morgan said. “I have no ill will or any feeling like that toward him. If the situation comes up, I definitely would say hi to him.”...

Last edited:

Not sure if you posted the entire article or not (I can't read it since I don't subscribe) but if that's the entirety of it, this is the only sentence that relates to the headline:

The communication, connectivity and a smooth work flow between Sanford, players and staff was left wanting.

The rest is just filler. If you're NOT going to explain "what went awry" then why have it in the headline???????????

Not sure if you posted the entire article or not (I can't read it since I don't subscribe) but if that's the entirety of it, this is the only sentence that relates to the headline:
The rest is just filler. If you're NOT going to explain "what went awry" then why have it in the headline???????????

The headline is from the article. There's more at the link.

Top Bottom