What kill likes about his S & C coach

diefirma

Reaction score
I hate to start another thread about the S & C coach but the other one was hopelessly high-jacked by and about LIG.

First Brewster's S & C coach did make the players stronger. It was obvious the first year. But raw strength isn't the only attribute needed. As Husker70 has pointed out, explosiveness is very important in football. Husker70 nailed it on explosiveness and the type of conditioning needed in football. Reread his post on the subject. Kill believes his S & C coach delivers that.

Another VERY important attribute a football teams needs is freedom from injury. I forget the exact numbers but I believe the NIU team went from 20 some odd players injured and unable to play during the course of the season in Kill's first year to 3 players injured and unable to play in Kill's last year. Kill has pointed out it has become a long season in college football and it is critical that players remain injury free.

Those are the two reasons Kill thinks his S & C coach is the best.

Here is the link to the Husker70 post I referred to - post #14
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=341704&highlight=Husker70#post341704

I think having a strength and conditioning coach is just like anything else with football, you have to excel at what you do and be a fit within the system. This talk about being the best or not the best doesn't really matter as long we get someone who makes our players stronger, faster, and more conditioned and his vision for our kids fits into what Jerry Kill wants from our players. What some arbitrary group of individuals votes on to annoint someone kind of Strength and Conditioning, doesn't really matter to me.

But this is a great post diefirma, those are things that are extremely important and Klein is obviously a fit for Kill....so what more could we want?

But this is a great post diefirma, those are things that are extremely important and Klein is obviously a fit for Kill....so what more could we want?

A trip to the Rose Bowl?:p

How could I hijack my own threads? They're hijacked always by others.

I, too, hope Kill has brought a fine S&C coach to Minnesota. But Kill has said repeatedly that he is the best in the country. That's simply not true when any reasonable standards are applied--such as the ones set by the Collegiate Strength and Coordinating Coaches Association (CSCCA). Eric Klein is a member of the CSCCA, just not a certified one.

Good points are made at the beginning of this thread about speed, agility and injury prevention. But don't you think all good S&C programs stress the same things? In fact, the Auburn S&C was recognized as the S&C Coach of the Year because of the relatively few injuries Auburn experienced this year--and Auburn played in the SEC, not the MAC.

Jerry Kill overstated his case regarding his S&C coach. He's also disrespected any good work Coach Hill (who came from Oklahoma, no less) did. I just called Kill on those two things.

How is this S & C coach of the year determined? Is it a result of some sort of research pertaining to training athletes? Do voters for this award see the coach working with the players? No, it is based on on-field performance. Its no wonder the S & C coaches at the helmet schools win "coach of the year". I'm sure these coaches do a good job but having the superior raw materials doesn't hurt.

The Collegiate Strength and Coordination Coaches Association (CSCCA) was started by Boyd Eppley who is the considered to be the "Godfather of S&C Coaches" for the work he did at Nebraska starting in 1969. Bob Devaney hired Eppley as the first full-time S&G coach in the history of college athletics. S&G coaches refer to two eras: the B.E. era (Before Eppley) and A.E. era (After Eppley).

Epply thought that college coaches formed a special part of the S&C community--probably for some of the reasons the last poster mentioned having to do with working with student-athletes and their diverse needs. Epply also wanted to bring more professionalism to collegiate S&G coaching.

CSCCA offers two certification programs. You can become a certified CSCCA coach or a Master Certified CSCCA coach. The certification programs are rigorous and the Masters Certification requires a person to have been a head S&C coach for a considerable period of time. There are only a few dozen Masters Certified CSCCA S&C coaches in the whole country.

You can be a member of CSCCA without being certified. Coach of the Year honors are awarded based upon a vote of CSCCA coaching peers. The Coach of the Year recipients' list reads like a "Who's Who" of the greatest S&C coaches in the country.

Success on the field obviously enters into the selection process. But the TCU S&C coach won a couple of years ago even though he worked at a non-BCS school. It's also pretty hard to think of a Head Coach of the Year who hasn't had a big winning season before winning his award. Tim Brewster, for example, never received many votes for Head Coach of the Year.

Why all the emoting over the issue of great S&C coaches? Eric Klein might very well be just what Jerry Kill thinks he is--the greatest S&C coach in the country. But Klein is not without some incredibly stiff competition. That's all.

Why all the emoting over the issue of great S&C coaches? Eric Klein might very well be just what Jerry Kill thinks he is--the greatest S&C coach in the country. But Klein is not without some incredibly stiff competition. That's all.

Does it really matter? Honestly?

If Klein is an awesome S and C coach, we'll see. Does it really matter what some arbitrary group thinks if he improves our program?

The Collegiate Strength and Coordination Coaches Association (CSCCA) was started by Boyd Eppley who is the considered to be the "Godfather of S&C Coaches" for the work he did at Nebraska starting in 1969. Bob Devaney hired Eppley as the first full-time S&G coach in the history of college athletics. S&G coaches refer to two eras: the B.E. era (Before Eppley) and A.E. era (After Eppley).

Epply thought that college coaches formed a special part of the S&C community--probably for some of the reasons the last poster mentioned having to do with working with student-athletes and their diverse needs. Epply also wanted to bring more professionalism to collegiate S&G coaching.

CSCCA offers two certification programs. You can become a certified CSCCA coach or a Master Certified CSCCA coach. The certification programs are rigorous and the Masters Certification requires a person to have been a head S&C coach for a considerable period of time. There are only a few dozen Masters Certified CSCCA S&C coaches in the whole country.

You can be a member of CSCCA without being certified. Coach of the Year honors are awarded based upon a vote of CSCCA coaching peers. The Coach of the Year recipients' list reads like a "Who's Who" of the greatest S&C coaches in the country.

Success on the field obviously enters into the selection process. But the TCU S&C coach won a couple of years ago even though he worked at a non-BCS school. It's also pretty hard to think of a Head Coach of the Year who hasn't had a big winning season before winning his award. Tim Brewster, for example, never received many votes for Head Coach of the Year.

So you're wondering why others are getting emotional about this when you're the one who brought up the whole Kill said Klein is the best in the country thing to begin with. That makes sense. Seems like you were the one who was emoting over this issue from the beginning. You're impossible to be taken seriously.

Come on

First people complain because Coach Kill says we need to get stronger and faster. "He is too negative" Now, he says we have the best strength and conditioning coach and now "he is too positive."

Please trust that Coach Kill knows what he is doing and support him. When or if some things need improvement once they start playing then we can offer our superior ideas. But if Coach Kill says we got "the best guy"...lets not fight about what he should or shouldn't say.

Just believe we got the best guy and start singing the rouser.

First people complain because Coach Kill says we need to get stronger and faster. "He is too negative" Now, he says we have the best strength and conditioning coach and now "he is too positive."

Please trust that Coach Kill knows what he is doing and support him. When or if some things need improvement once they start playing then we can offer our superior ideas. But if Coach Kill says we got "the best guy"...lets not fight about what he should or shouldn't say.

Just believe we got the best guy and start singing the rouser.

I agree, but I will disagree with one point. "People" did not complain about what Kill said. One PERSON complained about it. Now, that same person is quoting S&C statistics and organizations like he's Jack F-ing LaLanne.

I haven't emoted at all over the Minnesota S&C staff. But the people who have responded to my threads sure have.

What's the problem? Jerry Kill has said repeatedly that his S&C coach is the best in the country. That's a joke. He might be a fine young man but he has a lot to prove before he can be credibly called the best S&C coach in the country.

I've pointed out many individuals and staffs associated with ESTABLISHED BCS football teams and S&C programs. NIU and SIU haven't made the list because they can't make the list. Neither NIU or SIU are big time college football programs. When Eric Klein takes a BCS school to the top football teams with strong S&C prgrams, I'll agree with Coach Kill. Until then, Kill and Klein have a lot to prove.

I haven't emoted at all over the Minnesota S&C staff. But the people who have responded to my threads sure have.

What's the problem? Jerry Kill has said repeatedly that his S&C coach is the best in the country. That's a joke. He might be a fine young man but he has a lot to prove before he can be credibly called the best S&C coach in the country.

I've pointed out many individuals and staffs associated with ESTABLISHED BCS football teams and S&C programs. NIU and SIU haven't made the list because they can't make the list. Neither NIU or SIU are big time college football programs. When Eric Klein takes a BCS school to the top football teams with strong S&C prgrams, I'll agree with Coach Kill. Until then, Kill and Klein have a lot to prove.

So is Phil Jackson not the best coach in the NBA because he doesn't win Coach of the Year every year?

This idea of S & C coach of the year is so abstract its ridiculous. Provide a basis for this award and I might consider it noteworthy otherwise its nothing more than a member of the year.

Your argument is baseless as there's no concrete grading scale to determine "coach of the year".

Kill thinks he has the best S & C coach in the country and quite honestly there's no way to prove otherwise.

cjcarter8,
National coach of the year is an abstraction? Then why isn't football national championship team an abstraction? And if it's not, why would naming the coach of that team national coach of the year not be an abstraction? If Minnesota had hired an S&C national coach of the year or a head national coach of the year, would you not be impressed?

cjcarter8,
National coach of the year is an abstraction? Then why isn't football national championship team an abstraction? And if it's not, why would naming the coach of that team national coach of the year not be an abstraction? If Minnesota had hired an S&C national coach of the year or a head national coach of the year, would you not be impressed?

Head football coaches coach their team during a game. There is a head to head competition that determines who is better. That would provide the concrete evidence necessary to indicate superiority.

Unless there are head to head strength competitions or the coach with the most players in 1000 lb club. I don't see how this is relevant.

So is Phil Jackson not the best coach in the NBA because he doesn't win Coach of the Year every year?

This idea of S & C coach of the year is so abstract its ridiculous. Provide a basis for this award and I might consider it noteworthy otherwise its nothing more than a member of the year.

Your argument is baseless as there's no concrete grading scale to determine "coach of the year".

Kill thinks he has the best S & C coach in the country and quite honestly there's no way to prove otherwise.

S & C coach of the year is akin to "best supporting actor" at the Oscars. Look and see who hasn't won before (or in a while) and there's your winner. Extra credit for drug rehab or dead spouse.

Jerry Kill has said repeatedly that his S&C coach is the best in the country. That's a joke. He might be a fine young man but he has a lot to prove before he can be credibly called the best S&C coach in the country..

You might be Lonely. You might be in Hogville. But you sir, are no Gopher!

An interesting read I found... it was probably posted awhile back.

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2010/08/31/47463804/index.xml

Klein shapes Huskies for grueling season
By JEREMY WERNER

DeKALB – The Northern Illinois football players are familiar with the voice, the refrain, the drill sergeant-like control as they toil through another gut-busting core workout.

“Up! Up! Up! Up!”

Among about 50 Huskies defensive players during an August training-camp workout, Eric Klein is the commanding presence in the 12,500 square-foot, state-of-the-art Strength and Conditioning Center at the 3-year-old Yordon Center.

Klein’s not as carved as the 18- to 23-year-olds who surround him, but the former Division III football player still has the broad build – plus the biker-style shaved head – that could intimidate most walking down a dark alley.

His knowledge of the human anatomy and understanding of the young male psyche adds to his credibility among the NIU players he puts through shirt-drenching workout routines most of the calendar year.

NIU coach Jerry Kill says Klein – who joined Kill as a position coach at Saginaw Valley State, Kill’s first head coaching gig, fresh out of college – is one of the key ingredients to his .626 winning percentage during his 16 years as a college head coach. Because of NCAA rules, the NIU director of sports performance actually spends more time with the Huskies than the head coach.

So Klein is not only the molder of bodies, he’s the eyes, ears, motivator and support line of the staff for the many months the position coaches, coordinators and Kill are restricted in their interaction with the NIU players.

“Coach Klein, he’s the guy that keeps everything running,” senior running back Chad Spann said.

‘Out of the box’

Klein is the man behind Spann’s improved speed – the Huskies’ leading rusher said he trimmed his 10-yard dash time from 1.52 seconds to 1.45 seconds during the offseason – Alex Kube doubling his squat in the past three years and keeping Jake Coffman – a 26-year-old defensive end who calls himself an “old, stiff man” – agile and strong enough to beat hulking offensive tackles.

How does he do it?

“I’m not going to tell you all the secrets,” said Spann, who was able to bench press while recovering from a shoulder injury this spring because of a Klein “secret.”

But Klein doesn’t just put weights in front of the players and tell them to lift as much as they can.

“He’s out-of-the box a little bit,” Kill said.

Klein’s tools include the typical: benches, squat racks, dumbbells and 45-pound plates. But he also mixes in exercise bands, hurdles and other gadgets.

And then there’s the Ultimate Huskie Championship Series.

The summer-long competition pits the offense against the defense in an array of events, including strongman events such as tire flips, sled pushers, farmer’s holds (holding weights by your side as long as possible) and hang cleans.

On the line: a wrestling-style championship belt that hangs in the window of Klein’s office inside the weight room. The defense won the competition last summer.

“The competitive nature of it brings out the best in some of the guys,” Klein said.

All of it adds up to a program that might not build Hulk Hogans.

“I’m more interested in them being the best football player they can be and not the best lifter,” Klein said. “I think they need to be the best football player, and to do that there’s a lot of things that go into it: lifting weights is part of it, being flexible is part of it, being agile, being fast, being in good condition.”

But Klein’s biggest impact, Kill said, is best seen on the shortened injury list. Kill said more than 20 players were injured in his first training camp at NIU. Last year’s injuries could almost be counted on one hand because of Klein’s stretching and core routines, Kill said.

Kill said he has recruited players knowing Klein will fill them out, so the NIU coaches prioritize speed and agility over size when scouting high school players.

“When we first went to Southern Illinois, we couldn’t beat anybody in recruiting, so we decided we were going to recruit speed and body types and we’re going to have a good strength coach to build them,” Kill said. “That’s been our philosophy, and it’s worked.”

Klein’s grueling direction seems to have paid off on the field as several NIU players said they have more endurance under the NIU strength coach.

“The guy that’s in the best football position in the fourth quarter is going to win,” Klein said.

Wanted man

Kill heard about Klein through a former Southwestern College teammate and has been able to keep the Carleton graduate on his staff for the 17 seasons since, despite interest from other programs.

Klein – who became well-known for his work with the SIU basketball program under former Saluki coaches Bruce Weber, now at Illinois, and Matt Painter, now at Purdue – was asked by Iowa to apply for their men’s basketball strength coaching position a few years ago (he wasn’t offered the job) and has been contacted by several other schools.

But Klein said it would be hard to leave football and even more difficult for a strength coach to leave his head coach.

“When you get into this profession, you’ve got to be able to know what the head coach wants, and you’ve got to be able to understand where the program in general is going,” Klein said. “Nowadays, when coaches move, the strength coach is someone they want to take with them because our contact with the athlete far exceeds the contact they have.”

And Kill wants to keep Klein around his student-athletes as long as possible for simple reasons.

“Coach Klein has definitely made me a better player,” Coffman said.

cjcarter8,

Well, to a tiny degree the national championship game is abstract because they don't have a proper playoff.

For instance, going into the NCAA basketball tournament, if you are the #1 or #2 ranked team in the AP poll, it doesn't really matter. It is an abstract ranking system that will be sorted out by a concrete entity, the tournament.

If a bunch of people sit around and vote on their opinions (polls, awards, etc.), it is not a concrete idea.

For something like how good of a S and C coach Klein is, well that will show on the field within the next few seasons. Whether some group gave him an award or not doesn't mean a single thing. If had won the award and came here and didn't improve the team, the award wouldn't matter. If he comes here and fits in well with the team and improves our S and C in a way that fits into Kill's system, then I'm ecstatic, whether he wins this meaningless award or not.

Top Bottom