What is the deal with the Clap Snap?

alchemy2u

Reaction score
They started using a QB clap for the snap signal ever since they started using the hurry up offense. How is this beneficial when the defense can hear the snap count. If fact they can see the QB moving his hands before he claps, doesn't that give the defense a jump on the snap? How many teams use this? It just doesn't seem smart to signal to the defense before you snap the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked myself the very same question...curious how many other teams do it? For guys so paranoid about showing plays it seems weird to give away the snap count...especially to the guys standing up on defense who get an extra edge...the tackle can't see it coming but the edge rushing safety or linebacker can. Defense knows before the offense because they are facing the ball. Better explanation or maybe the reason Kent State was hard for us to handle blocking their defense and their shifting.
The other thing it does is clearly demonstrate the anxiety of Mitch to get the snap on certain plays. Haven't studied it but is there a "poker type tell" there for pass versus run on his body language?

They started using a QB clap for the snap signal ever since they started using the hurry up offense. How is this beneficial when the defense can hear the snap count. If fact they can see the QB moving his hands before he claps, doesn't that give the defense a jump on the snap? How many teams use this? It just doesn't seem smart to signal to the defense before you snap the ball.

Hmmm... good points. I can see how the defense being able to see and hear the clapping action would give them quite an advantage. I wonder if anyone has thought of maybe varying the number of claps that occur prior to the snap.

Nebraska has been doing it for years, Taylor Martinez clap snapped. I hate it because I think it looks so stupid. I was always we happy we didn't do it but........

You think they would try a fake clap once in a while to draw the defense offsides.

Everybody does it. NCAA Champs Ohio State do it too. I'm guessing it doesn't telegraph much.

Everybody does it. NCAA Champs Ohio State do it too. I'm guessing it doesn't telegraph much.

All of you self proclaimed "experts" need to get coaching jobs! Then you can use all of your football intelligence to dominate your opponents in every aspect of the game.

All of you self proclaimed "experts" need to get coaching jobs! Then you can use all of your football intelligence to dominate your opponents in every aspect of the game.

What you have to remember is that gophers coaches frequent this board for info from the knowledgeable posters here.

dear gopher coaches - write one up for 'the lonesome end' this weekend.

generally the clap starts the silent count
since the silent count varies, the defense doesn't get an advantage

It seems pretty wide spread amongst teams. If it was a giveaway I can't imagine that many teams would do it. I'm sure it is something like a clap... two count, three, whatever and they can change it up. Also the QB reading the defense and etc probably is way way way more important than the clap timing.

It's essentially the same thing as a silent count but the clap signals to the C that the QB is ready. The snap is still at the C's discretion and sometimes there are still line calls to be made so the D can't just hear the snap, go '1 1,000' and fire off. Also a lot of teams will run a double count where sometimes the QB claps, waits then resets in the hopes of getting the D to show it's hand. The main reason for traditional snap counts was to tell the offense when to go and it also worked to give the O the advantage because they can anticipate it. With the advent of the spread and the gun the formation is more spread out so you lose that advantage a bit anyway. With the amount of shifting and disguising done by defenses today too it makes sense. Remember a large reason for the hurry up and tempo is to get the defense to show its hand right away. They don't have time to shift or disguise. The count now also forces them play it more honest than they otherwise would. Honestly I don't think it's a 'big' thing as you could still use a snap count out of the gun but it may give small advantages and it also means your team is already used to silent counts when they're in loud environments

Teams use the clap because it is MUCH easier to hear than an ordinary vocal snap count even in the most hostile environments. The clap contrasts with the crowd noise where as a normal voice just blends in. Thats Urban's explanation at least.

How would the defense know what the count is? You can have the count be on one, two, three etc. just like any audible.

Teams use the clap because it is MUCH easier to hear than an ordinary vocal snap count even in the most hostile environments. The clap contrasts with the crowd noise where as a normal voice just blends in. Thats Urban's explanation at least.

Thanks for the explanation. Thank god Dr.Don didn't give his explanation!

One side benefit might be, and I'm not sure how often it happens, some defensive players have been known to yell or bark or make noise to throw the OL off.

With a clap, you can SEE the QB clap, both the WRs, and RBs can see it. Also the refs can see it too.

If it is a clap a defensive player trying to mess with the call would have to clap too and that would be way obvious or even difficult if you're a DL.

Thank goodness the coaches know not to always snap it the same amount of time after the clap. Not sure how they thought of something so tricky, but this is more proof we have the greatest coaches on earth. What a great thread.

One side benefit might be, and I'm not sure how often it happens, some defensive players have been known to yell or bark or make noise to throw the OL off.

With a clap, you can SEE the QB clap, both the WRs, and RBs can see it. Also the refs can see it too.

If it is a clap a defensive player trying to mess with the call would have to clap too and that would be way obvious or even difficult if you're a DL.

Actually, Damien Wilson once clapped in the Nebraska game and their center snapped it early. Armstrong had a spas attack after the play.

They don't snap it on the clap. That just indicates that he is ready and they go when the center snaps the ball.

Actually, Damien Wilson once clapped in the Nebraska game and their center snapped it early. Armstrong had a spas attack after the play.

Yeah, i've seen the refs flag guys for clapping, yelling, even DL's just waving their hands.

If I were the QB and didn't get the call I'd be pissed too.

What's more interesting is when Damien Wilson claps and then Tommy Chokestrong isn't ready for the play and Nebraska fails to convert on 3rd down. I'm all for that.

I'm aware of the explanations of when the snap can come. But the times I really noticed Leidner clapping the loudest for emphasis, then the snap immediately follows. Again like I said, I have not charted it but I wouldn't have wondered or paid any attention if I didn't see the "desperate" clap followed by the ball immediately snapped a lot of the time.

I'm aware of the explanations of when the snap can come. But the times I really noticed Leidner clapping the loudest for emphasis, then the snap immediately follows. Again like I said, I have not charted it but I wouldn't have wondered or paid any attention if I didn't see the "desperate" clap followed by the ball immediately snapped a lot of the time.

You're right. I mean Leidner's seems like a great kid and all, but like you point out I think we can all agree he's not a d-1 clapper as evidenced by his "desperate" clapping. That said, I think you may be onto something with your clap-reading ability. If defenses had access to your type of nuanced reading of desperate claps immediately followed by a snap, well I think that may be worth hiring a coach specializing in clap-reading.

Thank You

You're right. I mean Leidner's seems like a great kid and all, but like you point out I think we can all agree he's not a d-1 clapper as evidenced by his "desperate" clapping. That said, I think you may be onto something with your clap-reading ability. If defenses had access to your type of nuanced reading of desperate claps immediately followed by a snap, well I think that may be worth hiring a coach specializing in clap-reading.

Ya, baseball teams, football teams, basketball teams....none of them pay any attention to tendencies. Nobody tries to steal play calls or signs. Nobody studies film. Nobody scouts anybody. And our offense has no problems.

Top Bottom