What if he stays?

Powder

Reaction score
Since there is nothing else to do today and we all like to speculate.....

What if Oturu doesn't go to the NBA and stays here another year? Unless I missed it I don't think he is past the point of no return. If so someone please correct me.

What would this team look like?

He is gone in the lottery, no matter what ESPN says.

Of course he is. But most of the speculation on here isn't based in fact anyway. All anyone does is dream up scenarios. This is another possibility, however unlikely it may be.

...but most of them have a chance

No chance DO is staying

He's gone but what if he did stay????!!! Have some fun!

Crush the rebounding! It wouldn't even matter if we missed shots!! :)

Robbins C
Oturu PF
Johnson SF or Ihnen
Gabe
Carr

He signed with Tyus' agent.

Can't wait to watch him in the NBA.

Go Gophers!!

Dan it not coming back. That said, just because he signed with an agent doesn't guarantee anything. Players can sign with a certified agent and still return to school.

Last edited:

The peak of my 2021-22 b-ball fantasies came when Garcia took the OV here.

I think this lineup definitely would have been a top 25 team.

PG: Carr
SG: Willis
SG: Gabe
PF: Garcia
C: Oturu

He signed with Tyus' agent.

Can't wait to watch him in the NBA.

Go Gophers!!

Thats pretty irrelevant. Tyus' agent is almost for sure NCAA certified, therefore DO can come back to school if he wants to. I don't think he will, but he almost for sure can (I don't have interest in looking up the agent list)

I think the team will wear Maroon and Gold in some combination next year. Baskets will be made and not. And, there will be a full complement of players to field a team.

It's an odd situation. He has to make a decision to leave college to go to a job and potentially make an incredible amount of money for an organization which has closed its doors for now and currently has no revenue. While the players are currently being paid, there is a "Force Majeure" clause within the collective bargaining agreement which was put in place for an event like war or a pandemic. If declared the owners would be entitled to get money back and players would not be paid at all for the games that are not being played. I would guess the clause gets used shortly and would mean that nobody is getting paid or players are put on a basic living allowance similar to MLB of $1100 per week during the shutdown.

In addition the NBA may not have a viable business model for the foreseeable future. While all this may be over in a few months - flattening the curve, a resurgence of the virus next winter, or leaders being overly cautious and prohibiting large gatherings may extend the pandemic for a long time - potentially years. None of this takes into account a large portion of the population not making much money right now and how long it will take for discretionary spending to pick back up. On the other hand, if Oturu stays in college he still may not play basketball. He would likely just be sitting in his parents basement doing online classes...

Probably still makes sense for him to roll the dice on getting drafted and this whole thing blowing over in a few months and people filling stadiums again. (unless he someday actually needs a degree)

Last edited:

I'll bite. Hypothetically, that'd be a nice team. (Based on Carr returning as well, which I believe he will.)

I'll bet $20 he isn't a top 14 pick.
I’d make that a $100 bucks. Garza threw his name in and that’s another guy I’d rank ahead of Daniel.
But, It sure sounded like he was all in on the NBA. I’m in the camp that thinks he and Coffey would of had a better life playing one more year of Gopher basketball.

I’d make that a $100 bucks. Garza threw his name in and that’s another guy I’d rank ahead of Daniel.
But, It sure sounded like he was all in on the NBA. I’m in the camp that thinks he and Coffey would of had a better life playing one more year of Gopher basketball.

Garza will likely go undrafted. He doesn’t fit the 2020 NBA. Talented but he’d get worked by any big in the league. Oturu projects better because he is more athletic.

Top Bottom