Curry injures something.

Leaving us with:

PG: Mashburn/Greenlee
SG: Gabe/Williams
SF: Ihnen/Williams
PF: Johnson/Omersa
C: Freeman/Mitchell

Ouch!!

Only thing that could possibly save Pitino would be the return of COVID! That lineup would be atrocious and have many many holes. I hate to say it but fans would be hoping Hosea Crittendon or Maverick may walk into the gym! Otto Ossenicks would be talked about with reverence! Joey King would be missed for his rebounding ability!

Can any of you find a silver lining that would prevent Johnson from reentering the transfer portal?

Carr decides he wants to play overseas.

Robbins gets no waiver.

Peterson gets no waiver.

Curry injures something.

Leaving us with:

Ouch!!

Only thing that could possibly save Pitino would be the return of COVID! That lineup would be atrocious and have many many holes. I hate to say it but fans would be hoping Hosea Crittendon or Maverick may walk into the gym! Otto Ossenicks would be talked about with reverence! Joey King would be missed for his rebounding ability!

Can any of you find a silver lining that would prevent Johnson from reentering the transfer portal?

If you want a positive, that line up could be very very good defensively. They'd need to limit possessions and not turn it over as well, but if they were cohesive they could still be .500 in the B1G.

Offensively:
Mashburn (from reports) and Gabe are above average 3 pt shooters while Ihnen is 33% and would be a match up issues for many wings in the league. Johnson is the slasher type to create shots for those 3 as well. Freeman is big and would be good for setting screens and opening up guys while hanging in the dunk spot when guys like Ihnen and Johnson get into the paint and pull their defender.

Defensively:
Group is long and quite athletic. If our new assistant could help our current HC teach D better, they could be very good in this area.

Overall:
I don't have confidence in this happening, but I think that roster is better than the pre-coffey year or the lynch, coffey, and Dupree getting hurt year.

Robbins gets no waiver.

Peterson gets no waiver.

Curry injures something.

Leaving us with:

Ouch!!

then we go from 7-13 to something like 4-16

you'll be bored either way!

Oof, I would say that team turns in more of a Nebraska-esque 2-18 season.

Speaking of things going our way...I felt like we did pretty well in terms of injury this year.

We lost Curry pre-season (which theoretically gave us more time to adjust), Willis missed 3 games and was maybe hampered a bit by his ankle in B10 season, and Ihnen missed 10 games due to his wrist.

I was terrified all year that Carr would go down because of his huge workload -- we had no replacement plan.

I also cringed every time Oturu would hit the floor and stay down for a 1/2 second too long (didn't this happen every game?) or would wince in pain after getting hit hard. Worried about that shoulder from HS. Freeman was not ready to replace him.

I think we got lucky with those two guys playing such a heavy workload and staying healthy. Let's hope we can repeat that.

Robbins gets no waiver.

Peterson gets no waiver.

Curry injures something.

Leaving us with:

Ouch!!

OTIS -you are definitely not my man after this post.

We couldn't have one week to bask in our daydreams???

Otto Ossenicks would be talked about with reverence!

Hey! I never stopped talking about Otto with reverence - ever since that heroic fill-in for foul plagued Joey King in the NIT semifinal.

Welp, pretty poor start i would say. Obviously Robbins is the bigger priority and has a shot with the family thing, but as the NCAA has proven over and over, if you are a top 10 team you get all the waivers, if you arent, sorry about your luck.

Welp, pretty poor start i would say. Obviously Robbins is the bigger priority and has a shot with the family thing, but as the NCAA has proven over and over, if you are a top 10 team you get all the waivers, if you arent, sorry about your luck.
Can somebody please inform me what the logic is why you think Robbins has a shot with a waiver (if the transfer rule doesn't get passed)? Is it just because his uncle is a coach? His hometown is listed as Davenport, IA. From Drake, that is 168 miles. From Mpls, that is 336 miles. So he would be transferring farther from home.

In this instance specifically, my opinion is Carr had a more legitimate reason for leaving than Robbins. Carr at least had the coaching staff that recruited him leave. I'm not sure what "excuse" Robbins has for immediate eligibility. If somebody has greater insight, please share.

Can somebody please inform me what the logic is why you think Robbins has a shot with a waiver (if the transfer rule doesn't get passed)? Is it just because his uncle is a coach? His hometown is listed as Davenport, IA. From Drake, that is 168 miles. From Mpls, that is 336 miles. So he would be transferring farther from home.

In this instance specifically, my opinion is Carr had a more legitimate reason for leaving than Robbins. Carr at least had the coaching staff that recruited him leave. I'm not sure what "excuse" Robbins has for immediate eligibility. If somebody has greater insight, please share.

Robbins' uncle and cousin who he is pretty close with, are both on the team. The reasoning would be that he's coming here at least partly to be closer to family during the COVID crisis.

For the sake of argument, per the OP, let's say this happens. Does Pitino get yet another "pass" as he "didn't have his full team"? It's fairly obvious the way this is set up that if the trasnfers don't get immediate eligibility, you're looking at probably 4-6 conference wins. What is our record with Carr back but not the transfers? 7-8 wins?

I'm in the "get rid of Pitino" club regardless of what happens. I've seen enough. But knowing how badly it seems that Coyle wants to keep Pitino around, and considering he's had more than his share of 9 lives already, do others think he'll get a pass (even if done in by his own poor planning)?

The reasoning would be that he's coming here at least partly to be closer to family during the COVID crisis.
This isn't valid reason, for anything that the NCAA has language for.

Could the group that grants waivers, just decide to give him a waiver anyway? Sure, they could.

But the letter of the NCAA law does not allow anything like what you're suggesting.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

"
Family Hardship Waivers

Family hardship waivers are some of the most common and most controversial waivers decided by the NCAA. The reason it is so controversial is many student-athletes in football and basketball request these waivers, and whether one is granted or denied can seem inconsistent.

The key thing to remember is that a student-athlete is arguing that the best thing for the athlete and his or her family is to allow the athlete to play immediately and that the athlete needs to transfer to assist with an ill or injured family member. The NCAA measures this in three areas.

• Nature of the injury or illness: The injury or illness should be life-threatening and involve an immediate family member (parent, legal guardian, or sibling). Waivers that are denied typically involve an extended family member (aunt, uncle, grandparent, etc.) unless that family member raised the student-athlete.
  • Student-athlete’s responsibilities related to the care of the family member: The more involved the student-athlete is in the day-to-day care for the family member, the more likely the waiver is to be granted.
  • Chronology of events: Waivers are more likely to be granted if something changed that prompted the student-athlete’s transfer like a diagnosis, the actual injury, or a worsening condition. Waivers are less likely to be granted if a family member has been ill or injured for a while, and nothing changed that require the student-athlete to transfer.
When requesting the waiver, the school must submit at least three sets of information, much of which will come from the student-athlete or his or her family:
  • Documentation from the doctor who diagnosed the family member;
  • Documentation from the doctor who is currently treating the family member; and
  • A letter from the student-athlete explaining the need for a waiver.
These documentation standards can be hefty. Medical documentation typically includes both a letter from the doctor and medical documents like charts, treatment orders, and prescriptions.
"

Robbins' uncle and cousin who he is pretty close with, are both on the team. The reasoning would be that he's coming here at least partly to be closer to family during the COVID crisis.
If that's the case, I'm not nearly as hopeful as others. If he was moving closer to home (by any distance), I think you may have some sort of argument. However, moving farther away from immediate family to be close to a cousin and uncle (assuming they weren't the ones caring for/raising you) seems flimsy at best.

This isn't valid reason, for anything that the NCAA has language for.

Could the group that grants waivers, just decide to give him a waiver anyway? Sure, they could.

But the letter of the NCAA law does not allow anything like what you're suggesting.
The question I have is are they going to be way more liberal/lenient than normal, as they have the excuse of CV-19 to fall back on? I'm not saying that's a good reason, but that would offer them a "way out of the box" by giving waivers without actually technically allowing them to all.

The question I have is are they going to be way more liberal/lenient than normal, as they have the excuse of CV-19 to fall back on? I'm not saying that's a good reason, but that would offer them a "way out of the box" by giving waivers without actually technically allowing them to all.
That is a great question.

According to the NCAA release on this (which is linked in the thread I started here: https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/b...st-updating-transfer-waiver-guidelines.96416/ ), it says

"
Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.
"

So that is possible.

What it looks to me is that the DI board wants transfers to be addressed in a more permanent manner, by proposing new legislation/rules and having those voted on, perhaps by Jan 2021. They don't want a "band aid" by updating the waiver guidelines.

I think if we had a new coach he would have had a tough start due to the Coronavirus. As much as I want Pitino gone this may work out better for the program.

False.

That's what happens if everything DOES go our way. With maybe 4 of the 10 Ws in conference.
Nah. If Carr and the Drake kid are on the team, we'll be .500 + or - 3 games overall. For one, our non-conference is much more pastry filled this year. Pitino still needs the upper end of that to survive though.

False.

That's what happens if everything DOES go our way. With maybe 4 of the 10 Ws in conference.
I am willing to put a 100 spot on that. I'll even take peterson out of the equation.

It appears nothing is going our way lol.
So far it's even worse than that. I don't think anyone imagined Peterson would bolt after a few days.

That said, I'll eat my hat if Carr doesn't return--if there IS a season, of course.

So far, this is proceeding exactly as I feared except Petersen leaving gives us an opportunity for hope as it leaves an open scholarship!

Every cloud has a Maroon and Gold lining!

At this point I’m just hoping there will be basketball.

Top Bottom