What happened to Royston?

He hasn't gone for coin toss last two games

Has the captain quit? I noticed that he was not with the other captains for the coin toss forthe last two games. He hasn't been in uniform on the sidelines as far as I could tell.

On Jeff Horton's show earlier in the week he was asked about Kim. He said that he is simply not ready to play. The injury was terrible. His has been working his tail off but simply is not ready to play.

He was asked about a red shirt possibility. From what I understand there may be some financial reasons why his father would not support that. Kim transferred from a Big Ten school so he is not on scholarship.

Horton did say that the new coach needs to find a way to convince Kim to petition for the medical red shirt. That statement led me to believe that it is quite possible that Kim's Gopher career is over, and that is a shame. He is a great kid.

On Jeff Horton's show earlier in the week he was asked about Kim. He said that he is simply not ready to play. The injury was terrible. His has been working his tail off but simply is not ready to play.
He was asked about a red shirt possibility. From what I understand there may be some financial reasons why his father would not support that. Kim transferred from a Big Ten school so he is not on scholarship.

Horton did say that the new coach needs to find a way to convince Kim to patrician for the medical red shirt. That statement led me to believe that it is quite possible that Kim's Gopher career is over, and that is a shame. He is a great kid.

Is that you Gardy? All Minnesota athletes battle their tails off these days...

Royston can't get a medical RS. Not sure what "patrician" means though...

I need grammar and spell check. Good catch: petition

On Sid this mornig, Horton said that Kim will not play this year.

Horton was the one that said it; why can't he get a red shirt?

Hopefully, Kim's dad can explain... all I know is that it's next to impossible for him to get that medical red-shirt... and if he did, it would cost some good $$ to pay Kim's way through another year of school.

I respect Kim's dad and think the world of Kim. I and others booster will be willing to help financially. Oops! I guess we can't do that. What a bunch of BS. The kid has worked his butt off this year trying to come back. He deserves a shot. We are talking 5 million for a coach, 300 million for a stadium and yet we can't reach out and help a kid like this.

Does a player not get their FB scholarship support during a medical redshirt season? Is this unique to Royston's case because he already lost a year to transfer? That would be a shame. He should be able to find some other grant and scholarship support hopefully. If he is thinking of the NFL, taking on some student loans in order to spend the extra year developing for higher draft or free agent potential would repay itself many times over in a couple years.

Does a player not get their FB scholarship support during a medical redshirt season? Is this unique to Royston's case because he already lost a year to transfer? That would be a shame. He should be able to find some other grant and scholarship support hopefully. If he is thinking of the NFL, taking on some student loans in order to spend the extra year developing for higher draft or free agent potential would repay itself many times over in a couple years.

If you transfer within the B10 you have to pay your own way...

Now, I think I could be wrong, but I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the "medical hardship waiver" from researching it while trying to figure out if Rallis would be eligible last season.

The general rule is that you have 5 years to play 4 seasons. If you get hurt early enough in one of your seasons that the medical hardship waiver takes effect than that season (even though you played) is essentially your redshirt. However, because Royston already used his redshirt season the normal medical hardship waiver would not apply. There are circumstances where you can essentially be in your 6th year, but those are extremely drastic. Those only come into place (usually) if you were injured for 2 seasons. For instance, had Rallis been injured so bad last season that he couldn't play this year or the remainder of last year than he could have been a candidate that would have possibly been eligible for that 6th year. Now, since Royston played all of last year and he would be in his 6th year next year, there is virtually no chance he could ever play again.

I could be wrong, but unfortunately Royston's career here at MN is done.

It really is a shame because he is a great kid. I wish him nothing but the best.

Now, I think I could be wrong, but I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the "medical hardship waiver" from researching it while trying to figure out if Rallis would be eligible last season.

The general rule is that you have 5 years to play 4 seasons. If you get hurt early enough in one of your seasons that the medical hardship waiver takes effect than that season (even though you played) is essentially your redshirt. However, because Royston already used his redshirt season the normal medical hardship waiver would not apply. There are circumstances where you can essentially be in your 6th year, but those are extremely drastic. Those only come into place (usually) if you were injured for 2 seasons. For instance, had Rallis been injured so bad last season that he couldn't play this year or the remainder of last year than he could have been a candidate that would have possibly been eligible for that 6th year. Now, since Royston played all of last year and he would be in his 6th year next year, there is virtually no chance he could ever play again.

I could be wrong, but unfortunately Royston's career here at MN is done.

Not true, he can get a red shirt and be eligible. I am sure he would have no problem getting the red shirt. His situation is no different than Adam Boones. He is not on a scholership and it sounds like his dad can't afford a sixth year. If he wants to play he is going to have to get a job and pay for it himself.

Coulda used his Defense. Theret looked awful against OSU.

Top Bottom