What grade would you give the Gophers defense in the dominating win over Nebraska?

What grade would you give the Gophers defense in the dominating win over Nebraska?

• A

Votes: 74 85.1%
  • B

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A - gave up some yards but played great yet again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B+...too conservative at the end of first half

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I voted B. We played against a one dimensional QB and still had too many missed tackles. The D line was nice tonight.

B+...too conservative at the end of first half

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The defense was too conservative? They gave up zero points in the first half! Go back to hoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You drop them a full grade for a single possession in the red zone? Alrighty.

No it's reoccurring problem. I don't believe we have stopped anyone from scorring from red zone all year.

No it's reoccurring problem. I don't believe we have stopped anyone from scorring from red zone all year.

Correct. Middle of the pack in the number of red zone attempts, but yes opponents have scored every time.

If you only allow them into the red zone once every two games ....

I thought they played well but against a back up QB and RB. Too many missed tackles as well. Great game and hopefully they can keep getting better...we will need them to play at Sconnie level to beat some of our Nov opponents.

If you count field goals, I think this is true. They have stopped the offense from scoring TDs at least a few times though. It is something they can improve on but this game they limited Nebraska to only one trip to the red zone. Going back to last week, I don't think Illinois even found the red zone once.

Last edited:

15 in 6 games. That's 2.5 times a game using my math.

So we’re improving in other words from a “just dont let them in the red zone” aspect.

It’s hard to improve on red zone defense when you don’t let them in your red zone.

So we’re improving in other words from a “just dont let them in the red zone” aspect.

It’s hard to improve on red zone defense when you don’t let them in your red zone.

Guess I need to type slower...?

That D line came out and was FEROCIOUS.

But you could tell they were GASSED in the 4th.

Guess I need to type slower...?

Not really- but if you’re going to join a debate add something other than early season history. Let me spell it out for your smarmy self. The original take was to grade the Defense with a B due to the persistent “problem” of not stopping teams from scoring in the red zone. Our boys only allowed Nebby in to the red zone once (and zero times against Illinois this my statement of once in two games). Even if they had stopped them for a FG statistically this would not have been a significant difference from our red zone performance for the first four games. Saying that the defenses performance as a whole was merely above average is akin to a team that has difficulty converting on third downs and complaining when they score 70 because they were 0 for 1 on converting 3rd downs. Ridiculous as was your interjection.

Giving up 7 was a spectacular performance compared to last year. Good job boys.

On a side note, did anyone else think the typical Minnesota doom and think Renner would get the holding call instead of the offensive lineman when he sacked the QB? I'm joking, but just can't forget the 2 "WTF" defensive holding calls he had early this season. He has just kept working his azz off and he is finally getting some recognition. Keep it up.

For me we can only grade an A or if they lose a F. IMO, there is nothing in between.

Top Bottom