What grade would you give Gophers coaches in OSU game?

• A

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • D

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • F

Votes: 51 71.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

What are you supposed to give them? We knew this would happen..Vegas knew this would happen…why is anybody surprised? Outmatched.
Yeah, but failure to execute on both sides of the ball, horribly tackling, receivers not open and dropping balls, poor blocking,horrible QB decision making….Blah, blah, blah.

What are you supposed to give them? We knew this would happen..Vegas knew this would happen…why is anybody surprised? Outmatched.
I completely agree that we were way outmatched but it is the total lack of any semblance of improvement in ANY area of the offense that gives me so much cause for concern. What area of offense are we better in now than we were in week 1? It seems that our passing game has regressed massively, and Kaliakmanis seems to have regressed more than anyone.

I am a Fleck supporter, but man, he's gotta do some serious soul searching in the off-season and think about his substitution, playing time, and recruiting strategy before next year, or nothing is going to improve. It might sound bad, but he's TOO loyal to "his" guys and it's costing him players to other programs and now costing the program wins.

If PJ makes no changes to his staff this off season, I will be upset. Even if he is shackling the staff in some way, I don't have confidence the offense has the right pieces to coach this team successfully even if PJ got out of the way.

Rossi gets a pass this season because of his history, but the defense needs to be back to or close to where it has been in the past next season.

I don't give a low grade here because we lost to OSU, or even because we got blown out. I grade these things the same way every time: given the quality and abilities of the two teams involved, did the staffs plan and in game decision making put us in the best possible position to come away with a win. So, here, the question I answered was "did the coaches do the best they could to give us the best chance of pulling off an unlikely upset?" The result was an F.

F - You have to try.... There was no "try".

Players tried to make plays. This is actually first time where I would say the effort of the coaches and the staff was a huge let down. To me they looked at the film and decided they couldn't win without even trying anything creative or new from a playcalling perspective. Yeah we expected to lose but seeing the guys trying in the first half and seeing the head coach play for a punt, that was deflating and very disappointing.

NC, no credit. Coaches didn't show up with a competent game plan for a B10 level opponent. The back up QBs were left in Minneapolis as well..

Players tried to make plays. This is actually first time where I would say the effort of the coaches and the staff was a huge let down. To me they looked at the film and decided they couldn't win without even trying anything creative or new from a playcalling perspective. Yeah we expected to lose but seeing the guys trying in the first half and seeing the head coach play for a punt, that was deflating and very disappointing.
When in a David vs Goliath game the coach communicates early to the team, while it is still a close game, that he isn’t interested in pulling out all stops to go for a win, it has got to be hard to keep playing full bore.

Vanilla offense, as usual. AK can't move the team. Almost all the running backs are hurt. No imagination in play-calling. Remember how Paddock came off the bench for Illinois and sparked the team. He's been starting ever since, almost beat Iowa today. QB is the key position and for decades we can't get a QB who can pass at the 60-70% level, who is a natural leader, too - maybe can run a little. Gopher offense dull, uncertain, easy to defend against. Rossie's defense held the fort for a long time, but AK gave Ohio St ten points. "D" for overall coaching today.

Coaches threw in the towel early with multiple punts from OSU territory. Our chances of pulling the upset were minimal no matter what we did but very disappointing to see them not take any risks when we had the ball in OSU territory during the first half.

Going to need a big bounce back next week against a very mediocre Wisconsin team.

The coaches didn’t even try. Pathetic.

Not surprised at all. The loss was expected.

Graded the coaching staff based in adopting the "Can't win? Don't try." Philosophy.

For a coach that has more Platitudes than accomplishments, no matter how often I see him do this, i can't figure out how "I surrender" before kick-off equates with "Row the Boat" which I've understood in words is to mean keep going no matter how hard.

Words are nice, actions suggest Row the boat doesn't mean what Fleck says it means.

Top Bottom