What good is the NCAA?

The NCAA is almost worthless at this point and should be broken up. The conferences need to take control back and just manage their own schools. If a group of conferences takes the next step and agrees to play by the same rules - great.

At this point the only solution that I can see is for the P5 conferences to just set a budget for schools/players and agree to pay players directly.
  • Example- 50k per year per player, plus 50k per year in a lump sum 90 days after they get their degree and leave school, plus 50k per year into a retirement fund).
  • Restrict transfers and restore it to a college program again with penalties.
  • In return, the players assign their NIL rights to the league.
  • Then just refuse to play schools if they don't have a similar structure.
  • If the NCAA does not agree then they withdraw from it and say screw march madness - we will do our own tourney with all the best teams in the country.
  • If a non p5 school decides to continue to pay players big dollars (for example Gonzaga) then the agreement is that nobody plays them. Let them win whatever is left for the bottom feeder teams.

Not that I believe it will happen..

The NCAA is almost worthless at this point and should be broken up. The conferences need to take control back and just manage their own schools. If a group of conferences takes the next step and agrees to play by the same rules - great.

At this point the only solution that I can see is for the P5 conferences to just set a budget for schools/players and agree to pay players directly.
  • Example- 50k per year per player, plus 50k per year in a lump sum 90 days after they get their degree and leave school, plus 50k per year into a retirement fund).
  • Restrict transfers and restore it to a college program again with penalties.
  • In return, the players assign their NIL rights to the league.
  • Then just refuse to play schools if they don't have a similar structure.
  • If the NCAA does not agree then they withdraw from it and say screw march madness - we will do our own tourney with all the best teams in the country.
  • If a non p5 school decides to continue to pay players big dollars (for example Gonzaga) then the agreement is that nobody plays them. Let them win whatever is left for the bottom feeder teams.

Not that I believe it will happen..
Make them employees, sign contracts and set a salary cap for every school to follow. Let NIL be what it was intended to be - if a kid wants to do a car commercial or hawk jewelry, they can do that to their heart's content.

Fire every single person in the NCAA organization and start fresh with a new governing body. Establish rules and harsh penalties for breaking rules. Unlike the NCAA, enforce the rules consistently regardless of the program. I'm looking at you specifically UNC.

While we're at it, might as well institute a high school draft. Then ESPN can market the piss out of that for months on end. ;)

Oh, and hang the damn banner back up. Screw the NCAA. In light of everything else that has come out since, with programs committing significantly more egregious rules violations, this moral high horse routine is getting damn old. Was it wrong? Yes. Was it worse than some of the other crap going on? Not even remotely close. I think a 25 year sentence is long enough.

The NCAA has been exploiting players, their likeness, and image for years. Why would we trust them to do anything right going forward? Conferences across the country aligned with them, as well. Why would we trust them? If we are being completely honest, the NCAA is the minor leagues of NBA, and kids do deserve to get paid. But if it is unregulated like this, it will get completely out of hand and unwatchable. It's Duke with a budget of infinite against any other opponent is not fun to watch. There will always be underrated players, which is fun, but they can just hop over to other teams as their stock improves? Might as well just establish contracts and make it official that CBB is minor league NBA. Good lord. Of the overwhelming % that do not make it, education certainly will not be on the forefront anymore.

Top Bottom