WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Reaction score
If the Gophers would've beaten USC, would that have been a "bigger" upset than USD's victory over the Gophers? In giving your answer, consider the following:

1. The relative rankings of all three teams;
2. The relative recruiting rankings of all three teams over the past three years;
3. The relative margin of defeat in each game;
4. The respective sizes of each team's football budget;
5. The relative prestige amongst the three universities.

It seems to me, given these factors, USD's victory would have rated as a bigger upset.

Now, consider the approach each team took in playing the other team. I personally would've enjoyed seeing the Gophers "hold nothing back" and using "everything in the book" more than the approach they took - even if the margin of defeat would've been much worse. I realize that the dynamics between USD and the Gophs is probably much different than the dynamics between USC vs. Gophs, thereby giving rise to the USC game plan selected by Brewster. But wasn't it boring to watch the Gophs? And so predictable after a short while? I give Brewster credit, however, for having the lead in the 3rd quarter. It definitely made things interesting for a while. Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Go Gophers!

If the Gophers would've beaten USC, would that have been a "bigger" upset than USD's victory over the Gophers?

No clearly not. The Gophers beating a down USC team with nothing much to play for but pride, is not bigger than USD's win over us. Although beating USC would have gone a long way towards helping me not agonize over the loss to USD.

No clearly not. The Gophers beating a down USC team with nothing much to play for but pride, is not bigger than USD's win over us. Although beating USC would have gone a long way towards helping me not agonize over the loss to USD.

Say what you want about USC and their program if the Gophers would of beat them it would of been a major upset. Gophers win and the media would of had a field day with that, I can hear it now, USC isn't that good, they played bad, new coach, violations etc.

It would've been a Major Upset...USC still has their mystique...

I was visiting some boards last week during the game & people took notice saying things like "what's wrong with USC? they're letting Minnesota give them a game" & statements like "this might be the biggest upset this week if Minnesota holds on."

Perception is a big thing...

It would've been a Major Upset...USC still has their mystique...

I was visiting some boards last week during the game & people took notice saying things like "what's wrong with USC? they're letting Minnesota give them a game" & statements like "this might be the biggest upset this week if Minnesota holds on."

Perception is a big thing...

+1

I agree USC still has their mystique, and it would have been a major upset in terms of perception. But looking at the win in real-time, its not as impressive as it would have been in years previous. To me a FCS team winning is a little more groundshaking (particularly that VaTech loss to JMU).

Top Bottom