What do you need to see Saturday to feel like we are back on track?

If we rush for 250 against Illinois the game will be an absolute route. If either team is able to be dominant with their run game that team will win the game.
You're probably right. Went back and looked. Last year Mo, Trey and Bryce were all out for the season by the time we played Illinois. Illinois controlled Ky (16/60) and Bucky (5/26)--or we went away from the run, playing from behind by 14 points for much of the game--causing the Gophers to pass a lot. We didn't do that well. Tanner was "credited" with 10 running plays for -17 yards, of which 6.0 were recorded as passing play sacks. Tanner threw form 200 yards, but threw two interceptions and no touchdowns. He did run for our lone TD.

I got a little over my skis worrying about Illinois' offense, assuming Chase Brown might shred us. He was 32/147 last year. "Revised" thought: unless our defense stuffs Illinois, or secures some key, short-field turnovers, we have to rush for "a lot more" yards than last year, especially if we are not facing lots of stacked boxes, so that our passing game has a better chance. I think we have the experienced backs to do it this year; truly hope we have the necessary OL.

Deeper look: Despite our not scoring until the 4th Q (Illinois led 14-0 at halftime and carried that lead into the 3Q), we had a few more total yards and first downs than Illinois (289 to 265; 20 to 17). We ran more plays (65 to 58). We punted fewer time (4 to 7). Illinois suffered more penalty yards than us (7/72 vs 4/35). Time of possession was within a few seconds of 50/50. The imbalanced score appears to have stemmed turnovers. Minnesota had 2, both interceptions. Illinois had no turnovers.

New thought: No turnovers giving Illinois a short field. No weird coaching decisions gifting Illinois a short field. The rest should take care of itself.

Last edited:

Top Bottom