WHAT ARE THESE OFFENSIVE COACHES THINKING???!!!

2581inthepast

Reaction score
What I am so confused about is the fact that Brew recruited very talented athletes and is wasting them. He brought Grey on as a QB(who in my opinion is a much bigger threat then Weber) and is playing him at the WR spot when there are many good WR's on the team. Hayo Carpenter is one of the fastest guys on that team and is not even getting a chance on the field. Brandon Green hasnt been seen on the field this season either and from high school footage seen on these 2, they seem to be more of a threat then the other 2 on the field. Grey should be in the QB spot due to his throwong and running ability, which we have seen in the past few games Weber doesnt have (picks, fumbles from scrambling??) anyone think im wrong?

What I am so confused about is the fact that Brew recruited very talented athletes and is wasting them. He brought GrAy on as a QB(who in my opinion is a much bigger threat then Weber)Running yes, throwing probably no and is playing him at the WR spot when there are many good WR's on the team.
He's leading all of them in receptions and yardage
Hayo Carpenter is one of the fastest guys on that teamNOPE and is not even getting a chance on the fieldbecause he's slow. Brandon Green hasnt been seen on the field this season either and from high school footage seen on these 2, they seem to be more of a threat then the other 2 on the field.Nope GrAy should be in the QB spot due to his throwingdoubt it and running abilitymaybe, which we have seen in the past few games Weber doesnt have (picks, fumbles from scrambling??)Has been up and down, fumbles are inexcusable, throwing has been actually pretty good anyone think im wrong?
yes

What I am so confused about is the fact that Brew recruited very talented athletes and is wasting them. He brought Grey on as a QB(who in my opinion is a much bigger threat then Weber) and is playing him at the WR spot when there are many good WR's on the team. Hayo Carpenter is one of the fastest guys on that team and is not even getting a chance on the field. Brandon Green hasnt been seen on the field this season either and from high school footage seen on these 2, they seem to be more of a threat then the other 2 on the field. Grey should be in the QB spot due to his throwong and running ability, which we have seen in the past few games Weber doesnt have (picks, fumbles from scrambling??) anyone think im wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

And stop shouting.

Where did this myth start that Hayo Carpenter is "fast"

Don't you think if Carpenter really were that fast and could catch he would be seeing the field?
I mean there are punt teams, kick-off teams, kick coverage teams, all of these areas he could be seeing the field and he is not. If there is some other reason Carpenter is not on the field other than performance in practice it has to be classroom or off the field related. Coaches do not keep football players they think can help them win football games off the field.

Its not high school or Junior College.

The last time I checked Brandon Green has been given every chance to take over as a starter figuring he played a ton as a true Freshman and couldnt get open. Played as a Sophomore and again struggled to get open most games. I would guess he continues to struggle to get open in practice. Heck McKnight passed him on the depth chart and its easy to see why.

Hayo Carpenter has been a huge let down after all the great high light footage of him at JUCO. The problem is he simply cant play at this level. Its a problem with JUCO ball every great player you may get you get a Paris Hamilton or Hao Carpenter who cant. If he was any good at all he would be getting playing time.

Marques Gray is a great athlete but that does not make him a great quarterback especially in this offense. If we were running the spread I might agree with you more that he was being wasted. After seeing him on Saturday I have no doubt he should take his skills and move to WR full time. He can always throw on trick plays but its clear to me he can be a terrific WR if he spends more time at it. There is a reason he is not getting a shot to play QB on a regular basis I have no idea what that is but I saw one heck of a WR on Saturday against one of he more talented secondaries we will see all year.

Let me see if I understand the original post.....

.....it is suggested that the coaches are purposefully trying to keep the best
players off of the field each and every game, in an obvious attempt to tank
the season, and in such a way as to make themselves completely un-hire-able
thereafter.

Hmmm.......what's THAT Kool-Aid they're drinking? LOL :D

.....it is suggested that the coaches are purposefully trying to keep the best
players off of the field each and every game, in an obvious attempt to tank
the season, and in such a way as to make themselves completely un-hire-able
thereafter.

Hmmm.......what's THAT Kool-Aid they're drinking? LOL :D

Wait a second now. Although everything you say is logical, and you have a better chance of being right than wrong, there is something suggested in this post that warrants discussion. There are a few possibilities worth considering:

1. is our coaching staff capable of evaluating, envisioning how to use and/or utilizing the talent they have in the best way possible? It seems that there is some evidence to suggest that they don't.

2. haven't many of you former athletes seen good players not played because coaches just didn't like the guy or because they just liked another player better (Ron Gardenhire with Nick Punto comes to mind).

3. there must be dozens of players thriving in college football that Brewster and his staff never recruited because they didn't think the players were good enough. that's an example of a deficiency in evaluating talent.

4. look at all the players in professional sports, who were by-passed by many supposedly brilliant coaches, who've gone on to perform at the top of their sport (Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Chris Carter, come to mind. I'm sure you can name a lot more than I can). The point is, it's hard to know if guys like Brandon Green would be thriving on another team. There is a decent chance that they would be.

The fact of the matter is, Brewster and his staff are making the best decisions they are capable of making. But each of them comes with certain biases, tendencies, "eyes", analytical abilities and a knack, or lack thereof, of figuring out who their best weapons are and how to use them. I would bet $10,000.00 that there are football coaches out there that would take all our current players, evaluate them, and utilize them in some same and some different ways than the current regime and do so with better results. These coaches are simply more talented football coaches and have better imaginations and decision making abilities.

So the posters question, while perhaps not articulated very well, certainly has merit and gives rise to some interesting things worth considering. Why do the majority of posters here simply "get off" on ripping everyone else's ideas instead of using them to foster discussion. Isn't this what a discussion board is for?

I was wondering about Green also, he obviously hasn't impressed people. I think they have gone to ball control and running to minimize mistakes and keep the games close. Not really any different than Mason did. I think Brewster decided he will never equal the talent of the better teams and needed a different strategy. Gray this year would not provide that. It will be interesting to see what they do next year, whether they open it up more and run the wildcat some.

Top Bottom