What are the chances that we hire a coordinator?

Tricks

Reaction score
Sumlin looks to be the guy who we will eventually settle on. I know either Bruininks or Maturi said we would possibly look at extraordinary coordinators. What would people think of someone like Malzahn, Smart (I know, Georgia job), Pelini, Fickell, or Venables? Honestly a few of those guys would excite me just as much as Sumlin would.

More "Idiot Wind" as per the great Bob Dylan. If bull$hit were money, we would have a lot of millionaires on GopherHole.

There is ZERO chance we hire a coordinator, head coach is #1 critera.

"Sumlin looks to be the guy who we will eventually settle on."

Not a question, you made an assumption.

I would hope we hire at least two.

I would hope we hire at least two.
Yes, 2 would be good, preferably one for offense and one for defense.

Question is would you go with a coordinator at a great program or with the tier of head coaches who have minimal experience (Shannon, Sumlin, Golden, etc.). When you look at Pelini at Nebraska, Stoops at Oklahoma and several others, coordinators look good. But as some have said, there may be winning coaches like Missouri's Pinkel, who are unhappy where they are and would make the move to the Big Ten. We just don't know their names - it would be under the media radar.

Sumlin with high priced coordinators could be a deadly combo... I've thought Golden would be better than Sumlin for a similar guy but if each has top notch coordinators i'd probably take Sumlin.

Best fit or best candidate

Sumlin looks to be the guy who we will eventually settle on. I know either Bruininks or Maturi said we would possibly look at extraordinary coordinators. What would people think of someone like Malzahn, Smart (I know, Georgia job), Pelini, Fickell, or Venables? Honestly a few of those guys would excite me just as much as Sumlin would.

These two points are not mutually inclusive. The position should not exclude Top coordinators, as they have similar credentials as do head coaches. Assistants need not apply as they are too far down the food chain. (Why we went that route last time even baffles me.) To say never is not positioning the team for future success. I would think the real question is how do you evaluate a candidate with only top coordinator credentials vs a candidate with proven head coaching credentials. Of course head to head, with similar records, weight to the head coach wins out. But, what if the coordinator has proven himself on both sides of the ball and has higher average rankings than the head coach? Do you then consider the OC/DC? There may be one guy in the nation that can make that case. I doubt if he exists, but it is possible. I don't think we can overlook very high potential as we could have dynasty written over some of these high potentials. We have a long, long way to build and none of the candidates are going to work instant miracles here. None. We have to assemble a new staff and they will take time to meld. I don't think any new hire will take an entire staff over. Only the best of the best. We need to be careful not to oversell our own desire for the ideal to ourselves. We should have an identity in mind and craft our team to that identity. Letting the hired gun do that puts us at zero identiy and a potential nightmare hire. The way this is being discussed in general gives me nightmares of large outlays with no return. Nightmares.

Top Bottom