What a surprise..Badger student section only half full by kickoff

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
It happens all over, but only they make excuses for it...nice wide end zone shot on BTN, at least 2 sections completely empty.....

I can hear them now...

Wisconsin cooled on the student section. They already have three better student sections on the roster. There were three better student sections in this year's class. School wasn't in yet. The I.Q. test at the student gate was, like, so unfair! They asked about subtraction!

I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

can never go wrong...

I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

Quoting the Blues Brothers.

OK, I hate Bucky as much as anyone and am a UM alum, but let's at least play one game in the new stadium before we start hating on others' student sections, least of all Camp Randall. Gopher student sections in the pre-season have been beyond embarrassing size-wise for as long as I can remember, and not much better in the conference season. Straight-up, we don't hold a candle to the student section at Wisc, pre-season, post-game, anytime.

Student-section cred is the last thing we have at Minn, and the Dome is only a partial excuse. If Ohio State played its games at a stadium in downtown Columbus vs the Horseshoe, it would have zero effect on student attendance.

Actually I think we've had a pretty darn good student section the last 8-10 years overall. Arriving late/leaving early is a problem here too, as in Wisconsin, but I don't think we even need to use team records, horrible dome atmosphere, or off campus location as excuses at all because I don't feel we've needed an excuse.

And I really don't care about OSU's student section in a hypothetical downtown stadium. OSU is the only major sports show in town in a larger city in a larger state.

And I really don't care about OSU's student section in a hypothetical downtown stadium. OSU is the only major sports show in town in a larger city in a larger state.

Sorry to split hairs, but the Columbus, Ohio metro area is significantly smaller than the Twin Cities. The Columbus metro area is 1,982,252, whereas the Twin Cities metro area is 3,175,041. You are right, however, that Columbus proper is bigger than Minneapolis proper, but that's not how it works.

In any case, it doesn't have much to do with the debate, other than that we should have more fans than we do...but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Sorry to split hairs, but the Columbus, Ohio metro area is significantly smaller than the Twin Cities. The Columbus metro area is 1,982,252, whereas the Twin Cities metro area is 3,175,041. You are right, however, that Columbus proper is bigger than Minneapolis proper, but that's not how it works.

That's not how it works either. Ohio State draws from a much larger fan-base than the Gophers.

The Columbus metro area is adjacent to the Dayton-Springfield metro area, which adds another million people (they could easily be combined, considering putting the two of them together would total fewer counties than Minneapolis-St.Paul's expansive metro area). Plus, they draw fans from the Cincinnati metro (about 2 million) and Cleveland metro (about 3 million) each of which are only an hour and a half away and are overwhelmingly Buckeye fans.

The Buckeyes are a state-wide institution located smack-dab in the center of a state that's half the size of Minnesota and has more than twice the population.

Minneapolis-St.Paul is 6 hours away from any other metro areas of over 1,000,000 people, and those are full of fans of other teams.

I don't remember the student section being full for any game last year. They were much better the year before.

Ummm, doesn't Columbus have an NHL and MLS franchise? While admittedly not an NFL team in the area, there is some competition for fans/dollars in that area.

I don't remember the student section being full for any game last year. They were much better the year before.

It wasn't full last year, but that was to be expected coming off a 1-11 season. From my first year as a student in 1997 until now is night and day. From what I can tell, the students just follow everyone else out the door. It's not like the rest of the stadium was staying until the end of the game.

Ummm, doesn't Columbus have an NHL and MLS franchise? While admittedly not an NFL team in the area, there is some competition for fans/dollars in that area.

I think those two clubs provide very little competition for OSU.

I don't remember our student section having attendance problems in 2006, it was more full and more rowdy than 2007 and 2008 as I recall.

I think it is important that these new freshman have an excitement about the stadium and the U that the last classes have missed out on.

I expect the freshman to be louder this year and anyone else being that a good many of them are not geared up for disappointment... affecting attendance and loudness.

Side note, in my last year on campus I feel that I have seen less Wisco t-shirts/sweatshirts, maybe the freshman are starting to put them away!

After watching your game one that you should have lost but needed a miracle to win in OT, you all have much more to be concern about than UW students and when they got to the game.

NIU would have beaten both SU and Minny last night.

It happens all over, but only they make excuses for it...nice wide end zone shot on BTN, at least 2 sections completely empty.....

We don't have to make excuses for it. Many of our fans are pissed off about it. I can understand being late for an 11 am game. You want an extra 15 min at your pre-game? OK. You're late for a 6 pm start? Take away their tickets. Give them to students who didn't win the ticket lottery. If they do the same thing, shrink the student section by 40-50%, and sell more tickets to the public.

After watching your game one that you should have lost but needed a miracle to win in OT, you all have much more to be concern about than UW students and when they got to the game.

keep telling yourself that becky troll......keep telling yourself that.....it will help you sleep better tonight. :rolleyes:

and you want to talk about needing miracles to win a game you becky troll?!?! it is too bad that becky doesn't have a rematch with cal-poly this season. i heard cal-poly went out and actually got a legit place-kicker for this season and asked for a re-match with wisky, but becky immediately declined as they were convinced that cal-poly would actually win the game this year.......like they absolutely should have last year if they hadn't missed what like 3 or 4 extra points and a couple chip-shot field goals during regulation. :rolleyes:

North Dakota State

keep telling yourself that becky troll......keep telling yourself that.....it will help you sleep better tonight. :rolleyes:

and you want to talk about needing miracles to win a game you becky troll?!?! it is too bad that becky doesn't have a rematch with cal-poly this season. i heard cal-poly went out and actually got a legit place-kicker for this season and asked for a re-match with wisky, but becky immediately declined as they were convinced that cal-poly would actually win the game this year.......like they absolutely should have last year if they hadn't missed what like 3 or 4 extra points and a couple chip-shot field goals during regulation. :rolleyes:

I am going to let you all in on a little secret. There are about 4000-5000 students that get there early, stay late, care about the game and have a blast with the whole experience.

The others show up late, enjoy the party, love to yell FU-ES, love to do the wave, LOVE jump around and then start to file out as the fourth quarter starts.

It has always been that way, it will always be that way, no sense in worrying about it.

Does not make the experience any better or worse, does not put a black eye on the program, just the way it is.

I like going to hear the band before the game, watching a little of the warm up, never miss the band coming on the field and always stay for the whole game. I also like being sober for the game. They probably think I am an idiot.

A QB trying to force a pass while under pressure that results in an interception is a rather loose definition of a miracle, isn't it?

Top Bottom