Westbrook Expects ‘Dirty Play’ in Sunday’s Game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David Shama:

Westbrook Expects ‘Dirty Play’ in Sunday’s Game

The Gophers (4-4) and Ohio State (5-3) have similar Big Ten Conference records and both aspire to qualify for the NCAA tournament in March, but Sunday’s game in Columbus is intriguing for more than that. At least some players don’t have much liking for one another and there’s enough history to believe this could be a physical game.

“…I expect a lot of dirty play, to be honest with you,” Gopher Lawrence Westbrook said. “It will be a war.”

Westbrook and Ohio State star Evan Turner "talked trash" in the Gophers' win over the Buckeyes in Minneapolis earlier this month, according to a January 10 story by the Star Tribune. The newspaper reported that game officials warned the players at halftime about their disapproval of such behavior. After the game there was reportedly shoving and verbal exchanges involving players from both teams, but other details haven’t been confirmed.

The Big Ten office is expected to alert its game officials about the potentially emotional situation on Sunday, a game that will begin at noon Minneapolis time and be televised by CBS. Early in the game officials will probably be quick to blow their whistles when they judge there is too much contact between players. "Trash talking" will likely be monitored closely and technical fouls could result.

When asked recently about potential problems, Gophers coach Tubby Smith made a brief response, saying he doesn’t anticipate incidents. That’s an expected reply to the media, but emotions will surely be a topic that Smith discusses with his players prior to the game.

As badly as the Gophers could use a signature win against No. 20 ranked Ohio State, it will be a surprise if they win. The Gophers haven’t impressed much away from Williams Arena. They have one quality win on a neutral court (Butler) and have lost three of four conference road games. With a less than glittering 13-7 overall record, the Gophers have three of their next four conference games on the road and with that an opportunity to enhance their potential NCAA tournament resume.

The Gophers were nationally ranked before the season began. But they lost starting point guard Al Nolen to academic ineligibility earlier this month, and high potential forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White have yet to play in any games because of suspensions.

“I love my team,” Smith said. “...This is a remarkable group. I really am proud of the way they have conducted themselves and handled themselves despite some of the…distractions.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Good to know that we should have no expectations of Westbrook holding his emotions in check tomorrow. At least we know Turner has little to no self control either so hopefully the two will be assessed an early double technical. That way this petty feud can be done with and the game can be played.

Who knows what is going to happen but is it really that hard to 'not trash talk'?

So we should be expecting a Kentucky/Louisville type game?

Lol.

Let's hope these guys play with some friggin composure. We could really, really, use the win.

You would think that Westbrook knowing ahead of time there will be dirty play and trash talk would lower his chances of getting T'ed up. However, I am not holding my breath.

Let's hope the guys understand that the refs are highly likely to call every bit of contact in the game in an effort to keep it under strict control. Free throws could win the game. oh oh.

He's really been a hell of a senior leader this year. If he gets thrown out, at least I hope Westbrook is smart enough to take Turner with him and not Hill.

Hopefully when Turner gets riled up by Westbrook he doesn't get motivated and dominates us.. Maybe it will throw him off his game?

I hope not. It's been a few games now this year that Tubby has pulled Westbrook after he got out of control. We need the good Lawrence in this game, not the bad one.

Great, I look forward to a foul filled game followed by OSU fans dragging up the 1972 fight for the billionth time.

Great, I look forward to a foul filled game followed by OSU fans dragging up the 1972 fight for the billionth time.

Sunday at Noon on CBS, our last game with OSU-I don't think we'll have to wait for the fans to bring it up.

Maybe the refs should carry some yellow penalty flags in their pocket like the football refs do.

With all this talk about trash talking it proves how much we really need Royce

What I don't understand about trash talking is that it takes your focus and concentration away from the game. To assume it doesn't is naive. Why would anyone utilize the limited about of energy and resources on it. The pushing and shoving etc. is part of the game. That is going to occur no matter what happens.

jovs,

Because if you're better at it you can gain an advantage. MJ, Bird and Barkley for example, were incredible talkers. Obviously most players aren't those guys but there are some people who don't lose focus as a result of yapping.

Top Bottom