Well it was fun while it lasted

Hiring Mona is much better than hiring Nienas. Did anyone see the list of coaches that Nienas had landed? Dantonio was his big find for MSU. Suggesting that a head coordinator for OSU go to MSU is not super tough.
Mona will balance the UWcentric Maturi.

Hiring Mona is much better than hiring Nienas. Did anyone see the list of coaches that Nienas had landed? Dantonio was his big find for MSU. Suggesting that a head coordinator for OSU go to MSU is not super tough.
Mona will balance the UWcentric Maturi.

He's not helping with the coaching search. That aside, how are we supposed to look at Neinas' track record and think Mona would be a good replacement?

I assumed DM was helping with the coaching search but if he is only there as a fund raiser there is no comparing the 2 individuals.

"Mona will balance the UWcentric Maturi." That makes sense to me wait!what?

I assumed DM was helping with the coaching search but if he is only there as a fund raiser there is no comparing the 2 individuals.

DM will will have little or no part of the coaching hire but I doubt he is there ONLY for fund raising. I expect him to have a very large input on the marketing dept.(something that is sorely needed).

This is a home run hire.

Did anyone see the list of coaches that Nienas had landed? Dantonio was his big find for MSU. Suggesting that a head coordinator for OSU go to MSU is not super tough.

Yeah, I'd hate it if he hired the likes of:

- Urban Meyer
- Bob Stoops
- Les Miles
- Mack Brown

for us.

This is one of the worst threads in my history at GH.

Little to no reasoning whatsoever from the OP, followed by many piling on without any clue of what they are talking about.

Headslap.

I am optimistic about life. I like to make bold predictions on internet chat boards. I'll take a shot at reading the tea leaves of this announcement.

This Nienas guy can work fast. Interest in this program is much higher than anticipated and a couple of relatively "big fish" appear interested. They would be a Tubby type of hire, the only problem is that their current school wouldn't be excited about the prospect of losing them. This will require a large buy out by the coach/U to make the move happen. Entire Mona to handle the fundraising from boosters (big $ money quickly) and advise on any potential PR issues that arise along the way.

I am optimistic about life. I like to make bold predictions on internet chat boards. I'll take a shot at reading the tea leaves of this announcement.

This Nienas guy can work fast. Interest in this program is much higher than anticipated and a couple of relatively "big fish" appear interested. They would be a Tubby type of hire, the only problem is that their current school wouldn't be excited about the prospect of losing them. This will require a large buy out by the coach/U to make the move happen. Entire Mona to handle the fundraising from boosters (big $ money quickly) and advise on any potential PR issues that arise along the way.

Silvio, I hope you are right.

Even if that's not quite the situation, I think this hire is a no-lose proposition. He was brought in to fundraise and maybe also to help the athletic department with marketing and PR. Even if he has no involvement with fundraising for a coaching buyout, I'd assume he'll be raising money for the hoops practice facility and/or with improving the pathetic marketing department we have.

This would be no big deal except for the timing. If he's being brought on board primarily to raise money for the Practice Facility, etc. why is it being announced the same week Brew is canned and rumors are floated about Maturi? Is it really to hold Maturi's hand through the process so he doesn't stick his foot in his mouth multiple times? Or is it to raise money for some other coaches buyout?

Yeah the timing is the key .... Thinking there's a bit more to the 'hire' than PR and fundraising.....

Top Bottom