Weekend visitors/OL

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
This weekend is a huge for PJ bringing in 4 OL. At this point, we only have Sunram who is now listed on 247 as an OL which is surprising. We need to get at least two and hope three from the following: Roy, Mandell, Pufram, Carroll and Hinds.

Roy might be a UCLA lean and Carroll to Illini of OKState. I hope Mandell is just having some fun visits and will be Golden. Some think Hinds will commit and Pufram is still looking.

So my guess at this time is Hinds and then Mandell later next week with Pufram being the dark horse.

Saying we “need” at least two is foolish. Now more than ever.

We don’t rebuild O lines any more. This is the school for O linemen who want an NFL ticket to come. Just a lack of NIL in their way.

Finally at last! The Gopher program is being recognized as a destination for OLs.

Most OLs need two to three years to mature technique-wise. There are exceptions.

Finally at last! The Gopher program is being recognized as a destination for OLs.

Most OLs need two to three years to mature technique-wise. There are exceptions.
It isn’t just run blocking anymore.

It isn’t just run blocking anymore.
A tall mobile QB sure does change the complexion of the offensive schemes. If the Gophers click on all cylinders with the current mix of talent going into the season, they will rock.

The stars must align with a healthy dose of luck.

We need to exorcise those close losses of yesteryears. Losing to Michigan at the last moment still gives me heartburn thinking about it.

Get yourself something to settle your nerves. We gonna be excellent across the line with few breakdowns. The Greek Gopher will create when that happens (most of the time).

I don't know how much you can trust the timelines on their free 247 profiles, but a few of these guys are showing Minnesota to be their final OV.

Not a for sure thing of course, but that can bode well for getting a commitment.

All four this weekend around 6'5", so guessing all slated for interior.

This is what makes me nervous. A new center trying to coordinate a new offensive line in pass blocking schemes they're not used to.
Fair but that center has been in the program for 4 or 5 years now I believe (assuming it's Boe...2+ years for Shaw).

We didn't change OL coaches and assuming the scheme and verbiage isn't changing THAT much. Maybe it is and I wasn't aware of the departure in philosophy/style.

Fair but that center has been in the program for 4 or 5 years now I believe (assuming it's Boe...2+ years for Shaw).

We didn't change OL coaches and assuming the scheme and verbiage isn't changing THAT much. Maybe it is and I wasn't aware of the departure in philosophy/style.
Boe has been in the program since 2018 Redshirt. That year Jared Weyler was the starting Center for the season, so being a Redshirt and probably with the scout team during the season not sure how much he got to learn from Weyler.

But 2019 was a mix of 9 games of Conner Olson and 4 games of JMS at Center, with JMS taking over after that.

Boe has had the opportunity to learn from some very talented dudes at Center, how to do it well.

This is what makes me nervous. A new center trying to coordinate a new offensive line in pass blocking schemes they're not used to.
It is a certainty that the OL Center will garner a lot of attention and public scrutiny this coming season. What is more critical is the synchronization of the entire Offensive Line. I have faith in Coach Callahan's system.

The OL Center adjusting to the tweaks in the offensive scheme is not a big concern. The Gophers adapt well to changes. They are well-drilled during practice reps. It is in their RTB DNA.

The Offensive Line will learn and grow as the season progresses. They will learn from their mistakes.

The keys to success are staying healthy, the strength of the depth chart, and aggressive recruiting.

Who is going to be doing pass blocking schemes "they're not used to"? What does that mean?
I meant the inexperience playing together and seeing different looks other teams will throw at them. Other posters are correct, they should know the terminology and technique having had Callahan as their only O-line coach.

It will be well put together for game #1 and as all good lines do they will improve throughout the season. Most have played together on the second offense for years. Just reloading with not so new names.

Top Bottom