Week Six Rankings Thread

stocker08

Reaction score
AP is the leading poll....and that probably won't come out until early this afternoon. Gary Parrish is a dink and a dope....so no link to his trash. Likewise with even lesser names. But we have Andy Katz rankings....and the Gophers come in at #21.

21. Minnesota (NR):
Welcome to the Power 36, Ben Johnson and the Gophers. The 10-point win at Michigan was one of the most impressive we’ve seen this month. The only loss is at home to Michigan State.

Don't really care that the Gophers aren't ranked yet (but they should be).....but Michigan getting more votes in the AP poll? That's ridiculous.
Pathetic. Shows how much voters actually pay attention. More importantly 35 in the NET.

Don't really care that the Gophers aren't ranked yet (but they should be).....but Michigan getting more votes in the AP poll? That's ridiculous.
Agree. There is no way anyone should be voting Michigan over us right now based on how the teams have played to this point in the season. They have 4 losses to our 1 and we beat them head to head.

I mean rankings at this time of year are pretty pointless anyway but not sure how anyone that has been paying attention and isn't just voting on reputation could justify ranking them above us right now.

Not sure why Kentucky is ranked. The only non cupcakes they've played they've lost to.
Would love to hover in the 'receiving' votes category until after we beat the Illini :)

Tomorrow's opponent, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has a Net Ranking of 159. One behind Western Kentucky and 3 spots ahead of Rutgers. They are 9-1 though their schedule is pretty weak.

Little surprised the close result vs Sparty and win at Michigan didn't move the needle, think we had seven votes in the coaches poll last week as well. We have one game this week and another next week so I doubt we will be ranked by 12/27, judging by our current standing and the fact that alot of teams won't be playing much the next couple weeks. Our best chance to get ranked would be to win out the non con and beat Illinois and that could be enough to get us ranked on the 1/3 poll at 12-1 and 2-1 in the Big Ten. That will put a target on our backs for that up coming road trip to Indiana and a rematch at Sparty. Illinois will be interesting, provide the same issues with Cockburn that Dickinson gave, but their guards are turning it over like crazy

I try to not get worked up about the rankings, mostly because they are an absolute farse. However, im a little annoyed not that we aren't ranked but somehow a 6-4 Michigan team that we just beat by 10 at their place got 8 votes and at 9-1 with the lone loss to #12 Mich st we got 3. Again the people who vote on this are total morons so it shouldn't shock me but it's annoying.

They just wanted to keep that chip on our shoulder. Let's keep piling on wins! Tourney is all that matters.

Whopping 7 votes in the coaches poll. #35 in the coaches poll. #37 in AP. #35 in Net. I guess it's consistent at least.

At least we're not alone. Oklahoma blew out Arkansas by 20 points. Arkansas is still ranked in both polls. OU is not.

Gophers have three more non-con games. Should be 11-1 at the end of the year. There will be a ranking for 2022.

Texas Tech is getting a lot of love for their Tennessee win.

How could they be ranked at the end of the year if we have to beat Illinois on January 2nd?
I mean that January 3rd is the first ranking of the new year so to be ranked in the new year it would likely be on that date. Otherwise the other option is to be ranked in the December 27th rankings, but we would only be 10-1 with wins against less than competitive opponents between now and then, making it unlikely that we would be ranked in that ranking given our current vote count. So to reiterate, we would need to beat Illinois for us to be ranked in the first ranking of the new year.

Last edited:

Texas Tech is getting a lot of love for their Tennessee win.
Tennessee is Villanova’s signature win as well. Villanova has lost to every other team of note so far, but that still merits a top 10 ranking apparently.

Texas, Kentucky, and Arkansas all have a top 25 ranking despite being a combined 0-5 against the Ken Pom top 70. Texas and Kentucky have especially weak justification for the top 25 as they each only have one win against the Ken Pom top 200.

I like to look at Sagarin once a week to see what the algorithms in his computers have spit out.
Here are a few teams 'scores' and SOS.
WI 86 SOS 12
KY 86 SOS 347
MN 82 SOS 75
If games were played today, WI/KY would be even, MN +2 vs KY and +4 vs WI.
The other polls are meaningless and not worth getting your shorts in a bundle about.

Little surprised the close result vs Sparty and win at Michigan didn't move the needle, think we had seven votes in the coaches poll last week as well. We have one game this week and another next week so I doubt we will be ranked by 12/27, judging by our current standing and the fact that alot of teams won't be playing much the next couple weeks. Our best chance to get ranked would be to win out the non con and beat Illinois and that could be enough to get us ranked on the 1/3 poll at 12-1 and 2-1 in the Big Ten. That will put a target on our backs for that up coming road trip to Indiana and a rematch at Sparty. Illinois will be interesting, provide the same issues with Cockburn that Dickinson gave, but their guards are turning it over like crazy

I really don't see how an 11-1 record doesn't have the team ranked going fully into the Big Ten season.

I really don't see how an 11-1 record doesn't have the team ranked going fully into the Big Ten season.
Like I said in my previous post, we would never be 11-1 before a ranking comes out. It's either 10-1 on December 27th or 12-1/11-2 for the January 3rd ranking. I'm not sure what your obsession is with getting ranked for being 11-1 when that is literally impossible unless we already get ranked on December 27th at 10-1.

Like I said in my previous post, we would never be 11-1 before a ranking comes out. It's either 10-1 on December 27th or 12-1/11-2 for the January 3rd ranking. I'm not sure what your obsession is with getting ranked for being 11-1 when that is literally impossible unless we already get ranked on December 27th at 10-1.
There will be a multi-week unscheduled ranking for New Years!

The rankings that matter is the end of the season.

They have to go through the gauntlet of twenty one games. I don’t think a seven-player rotation is sustainable. The sooner the rest of the the team can be game ready to BJ’s standards the better.

The meat of the Big Ten grind is coming. I like what I see. A tournament appearance is still possible. Stay healthy Gophers!

Top Bottom