Week 6 Bowl Projection Thread

MGGopher

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, Jacksonville (7 p.m. ET, ESPN)
SEC vs. ACC or Big Ten or Notre Dame
Missouri vs. Minnesota

CBS Sports (Known Gopher hater Jerry Palm)
Redbox Bowl, Dec. 30, Santa Clara, Calif.
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Minnesota vs. Arizona State

USA Today
Pinstripe Bowl, New York City
ACC/Notre Dame vs. Big Ten
Syracuse vs. Minnesota

ESPN (Shlabach)
New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York
Dec. 27, 3:20 p.m., ESPN
Schlabach: Pittsburgh vs. Minnesota

ESPN (The much more intelligent Bonagura)
Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Minnesota

Bleacher Report
New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York
NC State vs. Minnesota

Athlon

Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Minnesota vs. Cal

College Football News
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Monday, December 30, 4:00 ET, ESPN
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
SEC vs. (likely) ACC, or Big Ten
Projection: Minnesota vs. Duke
https://collegefootballnews.com/201...ege-football-playoff-predictions-after-week-6

I'll take the rematch with MIZZOU in the Gator.

Some of those would be great. Not so interested in Pinstripe Bowl.

B1G Championship Game in Indianapolis is the "bowl game" I'm looking forward to.

Sports Illustrated
TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, Jacksonville (7 p.m. ET, ESPN)
SEC vs. ACC or Big Ten or Notre Dame
Missouri vs. Minnesota

CBS Sports (Known Gopher hater Jerry Palm)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Minnesota vs. Arizona State

USA Today
Pinstripe Bowl, New York City
ACC/Notre Dame vs. Big Ten
Syracuse vs. Minnesota

ESPN (Shlabach)
New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York
Schlabach: Pittsburgh vs. Minnesota

ESPN (The much more intelligent Bonagura)
Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Minnesota

Bleacher Report
New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, New York
NC State vs. Minnesota

Athlon

Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Minnesota vs. Cal

College Football News
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Monday, December 30, 4:00 ET, ESPN
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
SEC vs. (likely) ACC, or Big Ten
Projection: Minnesota vs. Duke
https://collegefootballnews.com/201...ege-football-playoff-predictions-after-week-6

I guess Sports Illustrated truly is struggling because I'm 99.9% sure Missouri has a postseason ban this year. Not sure how that matchup is possible unless something changed since the ban was announced in January

I guess Sports Illustrated truly is struggling because I'm 99.9% sure Missouri has a postseason ban this year. Not sure how that matchup is possible unless something changed since the ban was announced in January

They are currently appealing the ban and are eligible till that case is decided

They are currently appealing the ban and are eligible till that case is decided

Ah thanks. I saw that an appeal was filed in the summer but can't believe it's still pending. Gotta love the NCAA

Anywhere warm-ish and I’ll be there. New York or Detroit or Boise and I will stay home.

Very little respect given to our Gophers. Let's keep it that way, I like being the underdog. How many games will we have to win to be mentioned in the best bowl games in the land?

Anybody that aint on the bandwagon needs to hop on before the Nebraska game. Im afraid there won't be much room available after this weekend.

Pinstripe Bowl is in the same prestige neighborhood as the quick lane bowl, no? So the Gophers got into a bowl by winning their very last game last season to go 6-6. Now, with a 5-0 start they are projected to be in pretty much the same level bowl a year later? Basically that is a left handed prediction of a major collapse ahead for the Gophers this season.

Last season non-NY6 Bowls (Big Ten, overall records, *not* including the bowl result):

Quick Lane - Minnesota (3-6, 6-6)
Pinstripe - Wisconsin (5-4, 7-5)
Music City - Purdue (5-4, 6-6)
Redbox - Mich St (5-4, 7-5)
Holiday - NW (8-1, 8-5)
Outback - Iowa (5-4, 8-4)
Citrus - Penn St (6-3, 9-3)

I know there are some nuanced rules about which team goes where. For example, I believe there is a rule about a team not returning to the same bowl the next year and having a minimum number of unique teams in a five-year period, something like that.

I know there are some nuanced rules about which team goes where. For example, I believe there is a rule about a team not returning to the same bowl the next year and having a minimum number of unique teams in a five-year period, something like that.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...ll-bowl-ties-affiliations-for-each-conference

Big Ten Bowl Ties, Affiliations
A Big Ten team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12

2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC
– Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Penn State, Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.

4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern or Wisconsin, if possible.

5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC OR Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC
– ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016, 2017 & 2018. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Iowa or Penn State, if possible.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC
– It’s not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin, if possible.

Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible.

Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the Armed Force Bowl since 2014. The Big 12 is contracted to play in the SERVPRO First Responders in 2019.

^^^ awesome thank you!

“Reasonable” best case scenario: Ohio St CFP, Minnesota Rose Bowl

But I think more likely, the Outback, would be a really nice end to a great year 3!

^^^ awesome thank you!

“Reasonable” best case scenario: Ohio St CFP, Minnesota Rose Bowl

But I think more likely, the Outback, would be a really nice end to a great year 3!
If an undefeated MN beats an undefeated OSU in Indy, what happens then?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not fair, but harsh reality of how the CFP gets picked is it probably does not change things.

That would include wins over the following: Penn State, Iowa on the road, Wisconsin and Ohio State on a neutral field. I see no other option besides the Gophers being selected.

Do I believe 13-0 this year? sadly, no.

This is my “reasonable” scenario.

Ohio St - 13-0, CFP
Penn St - 11-1, L to Ohio St, Rose Bowl
Wisconsin - 11-2, L to Ohio St twice, Citrus Bowl
Minnesota - 9-3, L to Penn St, Iowa, Wisc, Outback Bowl

Iowa and/or Michigan might technically finish ahead of us or tied with us, but they can’t get the Outback. Michigan also can’t get the Citrus bowl, but Iowa can. But I don’t think Iowa will finish ahead of Wisconsin so that doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

Ohio St - 13-0, CFP

Iowa and/or Michigan might technically finish ahead of us or tied with us, but they can’t get the Outback. Michigan also can’t get the Citrus bowl, but Iowa can. But I don’t think Iowa will finish ahead of Wisconsin so that doesn’t matter.

Michigan still needs to play Penn State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State - so I'd expect they likely finish with 4 losses

Ohio St - 13-0, CFP

The bummer about this scenario is that we would have lost to all the ranked teams on our schedule. With 2 of them at home, I think we get at least one of Penn St or Wisconsin.

The bummer about this scenario is that we would have lost to all the ranked teams on our schedule. With 2 of them at home, I think we get at least one of Penn St or Wisconsin.

Well if we did beat Wisc, in this scenario, we’d probably be West champs and go to Indy to lose (as will be dictated by the conference, to ensure CFP participation) to Ohio State. That would put us at 10-3, still not in the Rose over Penn St, and we’re unable to go to the Citrus.

Certainly possible the Rose could still pick us over Penn St anyway. But not sure they would.

Last edited:

Top Bottom