Week 5 Other Games Thread: 2020 Season

I feel like Nebraska would be more dangerous this year if we played a typical schedule.
If they went 3-0 and then beat northwestern and Illinois...they’d have some confidence

they have the talent where playing with confidence would make them dangerous

It’ll be interesting to watch how they do in the first 4 games...but what will be more interesting is if Nebraska is 0-4 how do they play during the Illinois game.

Nebraska's original schedule wasn't easy to begin with either. They were supposed to kick off the season with Purdue, and their 3rd non-conference opponent was a ranked Cincinatti team, after playing the always sneaky South Dakota St the week before.

Isn't it always interesting, as the season progresses ... outcomes of games early in the season that made no sense at that time, start making more sense.

Tulsa nearly upset Oklahoma State on the road two weeks ago. People probably thought, well OSU won't be competing for anything this year. Now Tulsa upsets the top ranked team in the American, and OSU is 3-0 and probably the best chance for the Big XII to have a CFP team this season.

Louisiana (not State) did upset Iowa State on the road three weeks ago. People probably thought, well ISU won't be competing for anything this year. Now Louisiana is 3-0 and might be the best college team in the state, and ISU is 2-1 after a major win over OU last night. Will be very interesting to see who ends up winning the Big XII this season.

Really enjoyed the ISU win over OU last night.

ISU was going to be my team this year, if the Gophers weren't playing. Not just because they're the closest P5 to the Twin Cities, and not just because I have extended family that went there.

But because I really like Matt Campbell as a coach, and what he is about. I think he is similar to Fleck. Both started in the MAC, had success there, and then got the call up to "lower" P5 schools, and have been proving themselves in those tougher environments.

He's also giving a number of Minnesota kids opportunities to play at the P5 level, which is great. Wouldn't be suprised if it is already true, or will be soon, that Iowa State has the highest number of Minnesota players on a P5 roster, outside the Gophers.

Nebraska's original schedule wasn't easy to begin with either. They were supposed to kick off the season with Purdue, and their 3rd non-conference opponent was a ranked Cincinatti team, after playing the always sneaky South Dakota St the week before.
I would’ve expected them to win all 3 of those games individually and probably start the year 2-1 slipping up in one of them.

Maybe I’d be wrong.

Cincy would have beat them. Would've been great to see Purdue and SDSU also beat them.

Owning the "national" Huskers football brand, is like owning a the first rotary telephone. It's neat, I guess, to own a piece of history.

As a Dawgs fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the butt-whoopin Georgia put on Auburn last night. After a brutal first half against Arkansas (which beat Miss St yesterday in upset fashion), alarm bells were ringing a bit.

Their defense is as good as any in the country, but the offense will likely hold them back against the best of the best (mostly Bama and maybe Florida).

I also got much enjoyment out of Oklahoma losing mostly because I have a moral code to root against three things: LA teams, NY teams and football teams that put zero effort into playing defense.

As a Dawgs fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the butt-whoopin Georgia put on Auburn last night. After a brutal first half against Arkansas (which beat Miss St yesterday in upset fashion), alarm bells were ringing a bit.

Their defense is as good as any in the country, but the offense will likely hold them back against the best of the best (mostly Bama and maybe Florida).

I also got much enjoyment out of Oklahoma losing mostly because I have a moral code to root against three things: LA teams, NY teams and football teams that put zero effort into playing defense.
Georgia Florida this year is shaping up to be the most meaningful meeting of the two programs in quite some time?

The Vikings aren't the worst team in the league!

But they want to show everyone how close they are...

As a Dawgs fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the butt-whoopin Georgia put on Auburn last night. After a brutal first half against Arkansas (which beat Miss St yesterday in upset fashion), alarm bells were ringing a bit. Their defense is as good as any in the country, but the offense will likely hold them back against the best of the best (mostly Bama and maybe Florida).
Watched first 3 quarters of the game but sure looked like Georgia watched tape of the 2020 Outback Bowl to me. Bo was really nix for the entire game. Meanwhile, the Dawgs were punishing Auburn up the middle just like Mo did on New Year's Day. Didn't catch the end but obviously didn't need to...Go Dogs! Sic'em!

Georgia Florida this year is shaping up to be the most meaningful meeting of the two programs in quite some time?

I'd say so considering both can probably realistically contend for the CFP. Georgia has dominated the matchup since Smart took over. Florida kinda dominated there for a while before that. Both teams have had awesome runs, but rarely have they both been top-5 caliber like it looks like they are at this time.

Top Bottom