Week 5 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire first out of the gate:

8. Minnesota

Minnesota had a close nonconference win over Louisiana who’s actually a pretty decent team. Athan Kaliakmanis wasn’t incredible, but he was efficient, supplementing the run game. The pass defense was good, but the rushing defense wasn’t exactly great — which is troubling considering Michigan comes to town next week.

Go Gophers!!

Buckeyes Wire chimes in:

Why the Ranking​

Minnesota bounced back in not so convincing fashion on Saturday on the heels of choking the game away to Northwestern the week prior for its second straight loss. There’s a lot of work for this team to still do, but it might just be good enough in the West division to row the boat just onto shore of a bowl game this year. We might see Gopher fans abandon ship next week with the Wolverines coming to town though.

Last Week’s Power Ranking | 8 (⇑ one spot)
Last Result | Won vs. Louisiana 35-24

Next Up … vs. Michigan​

Go Gophers!!

Can’t remember how I put them last week. So I could be wrong

But today. (Last week)

1. Michigan (1)
2. Ohio state (2)
3. Penn state (3)
4. Maryland (4)
5. Wisconsin (5)
6. Rutgers (7)
7. Iowa (6)
8. Minnesota (11)
9. Purdue (9)
10. michigan state (13)
11. Northwestern (10)
12. nebraska (12)
13. Illinois (8)
14. Indiana (14)

How anyone can rank Sparty that high is mind boggling! That's a bonafide bottom three team and it's not up for discussion!
Everyone from 8-13 are equally as flawed

With Iowa QB injury and with Rutgers playing a medium quality team this weekend we will learn more soon.

I think Indiana clearly looks like 14.
I think that the top 4 are clearly the top 4.

Who is 5th is a huge question. Right now I lean wisconsin.
No one outside the top 4 is a top 35 team in my opinion.

I don't believe Maryland over Wisconsin. Too bad they don't play head to head this season. We will see...

I don't believe Maryland over Wisconsin. Too bad they don't play head to head this season. We will see...
Wisconsin isn’t a very good team.
They likely are the best in the west.

I am curious to see Maryland tested. I have more questions with Maryland. So in my mind Maryland has more upside and more downside than Wisconsin.

I'm reading about this now. I wasn't paying close attention.

Maryland looks stronger and stronger every week.

Most of the hype in the preseason was Wisconsin. Will they peak later, maybe, or is this hype deflation?

I'm reading about this now. I wasn't paying close attention.

Maryland looks stronger and stronger every week.

Most of the hype in the preseason was Wisconsin. Will they peak later, maybe, or is this hype deflation?
Them losing mellusi is huge.
He is a much better shotgun RB than Allen.
They now have no depth at RB

Passing game just okay
Defense just okay.

Wisconsin is basically the best of the average teams.

Maryland is the only team that I think has a chance to beat the big 3. Perhaps they don’t have a chance, but I don’t know. Which for me puts them above wisconsin.

Them losing mellusi is huge.
He is a much better shotgun RB than Allen.
They now have no depth at RB

Passing game just okay
Defense just okay.

Wisconsin is basically the best of the average teams.

Maryland is the only team that I think has a chance to beat the big 3. Perhaps they don’t have a chance, but I don’t know. Which for me puts them above wisconsin.

They have Braelon Allen, who leads the team in yards and TDs.

The team scheme is more passing.

Mellusi had 157 and 2 TDs in the opener and a loss, but who's up next?

Wisconsin getting overhyped in the preseason is becoming an annual tradition.

Everyone from 8-13 are equally as flawed

With Iowa QB injury and with Rutgers playing a medium quality team this weekend we will learn more soon.

I think Indiana clearly looks like 14.
I think that the top 4 are clearly the top 4.

Who is 5th is a huge question. Right now I lean wisconsin.
No one outside the top 4 is a top 35 team in my opinion.
They stunk in pretty much every phase against Iowa without McNamara for most of the game! The punt coverage was putrid! I'd put them right there with Indiana.

Last edited:

They stunk in pretty much every phase against Iowa without McNamara for most of the game! The punt coverage was putrid! I'd put them right there with Indiana.
Yeah I have them 10th right now because they lost close to Iowa.
I had them 13th last week.
I don’t think anyone having MSU 9-13 range is too crazy.

On 3 chimes in:

8. Minnesota

It was a nice bounce-back weekend for Minnesota on Saturday, as the Golden Gophers defeated Louisiana by 11. PJ Fleck’s squad is now sitting a 3-2 on the season, and hoping for a monstrous upset in Week 6.

If Minnesota can defeat Michigan on Saturday, all the whispers regarding Fleck’s future will dissipate. It won’t be easy, but time will tell if the Golden Gophers are up to the task.

Go Gophers!!

...If Minnesota can defeat Michigan on Saturday, all the whispers regarding Fleck’s future will dissipate. It won’t be easy, but time will tell if the Golden Gophers are up to the task....

My view. The fans spanked him for the loss to Northwestern, but there's no real movement to remove him. The team has issues, yea, and growth opportunities.

Top Bottom