Week 13 Other Games Thread

Stan

Reaction score
Penn State at Ohio State, go Buckeyes!
Illinois at Iowa
Purdue at wisconsin, go Purdue!
Texas at Baylor

Is Plummer healthy again for Purdue?
Would love to see the HOOOOsiers knock of Michigan.

Tickets at Ryan Field as low as $3
Darn, I should've waited. I think I paid $6 + fees yesterday. My seats are pretty decent though. There's really good seats to be had for $10 - $13 including all the fees on sites like Seatgeek and Stubhub.

Megan chimes in with her Big Ten Games to Watch:

Penn State at Ohio State, 11 a.m. (Ch. 9)

Ohio State has already beaten two ranked opponents this year: Wisconsin and Michigan State. But Penn State could be the toughest challenge and decide the Big Ten East champion, the team the Gophers could potentially face.

Purdue at Wisconsin, 3 p.m. (CH. 9)

Should the Badgers lose to Purdue, with Minnesota defeating Northwestern earlier in the day, the Gophers would be arriving back on campus Saturday evening as Big Ten West champions. Wisconsin is a 25-point favorite, though.

Go Gophers!!

I did watch NC State and Georgia Tech last night. Two awful teams playing an awful game. Tech sneaks out a victory.

I did watch NC State and Georgia Tech last night. Two awful teams playing an awful game. Tech sneaks out a victory.

Two teams on divergent paths though. GT was a total tear down rebuild after Paul Johnson retired and they dropped the triple option offense, and have shown signs of life this season. NC State was supposed to be decent this year and have been a disaster.

Two teams on divergent paths though. GT was a total tear down rebuild after Paul Johnson retired and they dropped the triple option offense, and have shown signs of life this season. NC State was supposed to be decent this year and have been a disaster.

Agreed. Tech still had pieces of their option game in play as they can't transition all in one year. Their QB had a decent day for not being much of a passing QB. He had several awful throws as well (especially in the 2nd half). Will be interesting to see how quickly they re-appear as one of the better ACC teams.

MAC looking like it could have 7 bowl eligible teams.

Nebraska losing to Maryland could happen and would be funny.

Any chance for Indiana at home against Meatchicken?

Would love to see Indiana beat Michigan, and Illinois beat Iowa. Don't think the latter will happen, but will be curious to see how the former goes.

Penn St, I think will give them a fight, but it's in Columbus and I just don't think anyone in the conference will be able to hold up to OSU. We'll see.

Don't think Wisconsin will have too much trouble with Purdue in Madison.

Will be interesting to see if Nebraska wins at Maryland, to give themselves a chance at bowl eligibility. Would really like to see Nebraska go 4-8 again this year. Would make me very happy.

Nebraska losing to Maryland could happen and would be funny.

Any chance for Indiana at home against Meatchicken?

Indiana seems to have some magic against Michigan in always playing them close, the last two home games have gone to OT, but for some reason can never pull it out. Last win for the Hoosiers was in 1987.

Indiana seems to have some magic against Michigan in always playing them close, the last two home games have gone to OT, but for some reason can never pull it out. Last win for the Hoosiers was in 1987.
Indiana is on a similar trajectory upward as Minnesota.

Problem for them, that we don't have: they have to play Penn St, Michigan, and Ohio St, every year. Michigan St used to be good too, Wisconsin level program, but they've really slipped this year.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I think it's in our best interests for the Buckeyes to beat Penn State (but for it to be somewhat close so PSU stays in the top ten).

Reason being, let's look at the Big Ten championship scenarios assuming we beat NW and Wisc. Also assume OSU beats Michigan.
Gophers beat OSU -> Gophers to CFP, OSU to Rose
OSU beats Gophers -> OSU to CFP, Gophers to Rose
Gophers beat PSU -> Gophers to CFP, OSU to Rose
PSU beats Gophers -> PSU to CFP, OSU to Rose

Playing OSU almost virtually guarantees we go to the CFP or Rose Bowl. Against Penn State though we'd have to win because OSU with one less would jump us with two for the Rose.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I think it's in our best interests for the Buckeyes to beat Penn State (but for it to be somewhat close so PSU stays in the top ten).

Reason being, let's look at the Big Ten championship scenarios assuming we beat NW and Wisc. Also assume OSU beats Michigan.
Gophers beat OSU -> Gophers to CFP, OSU to Rose
OSU beats Gophers -> OSU to CFP, Gophers to Rose
Gophers beat PSU -> Gophers to CFP, OSU to Rose
PSU beats Gophers -> PSU to CFP, OSU to Rose

Playing OSU almost virtually guarantees we go to the CFP or Rose Bowl. Against Penn State though we'd have to win because OSU with one less would jump us with two for the Rose.
Sadly, there is no guarantee that the committee won’t rank PSU ahead of us, with them at 10-2, having lost to OSU and a close loss on the road to Minnesota, and us at 11-2, having lost to OSU and a close loss on the road to Iowa.

Especially if they lose to OSU (in Columbus) by less than we lose to OSU (in Indy). They could consider our other loss as worse than their other loss, and they could decide that they think they’d beat us on a neutral field, effectively throwing out our head-to-head win because it was close and at home.

No way to say for sure yet. Let’s enjoy the ride!

Sadly, there is no guarantee that the committee won’t rank PSU ahead of us, with them at 10-2, having lost to OSU and a close loss on the road to Minnesota, and us at 11-2, having lost to OSU and a close loss on the road to Iowa.

Especially if they lose to OSU (in Columbus) by less than we lose to OSU (in Indy). They could consider our other loss as worse than their other loss, and they could decide that they think they’d beat us on a neutral field, effectively throwing out our head-to-head win because it was close and at home.

No way to say for sure yet. Let’s enjoy the ride!

Us having another win should help give our record some credence, but you are correct that we won't know how the committee will rank us.

I would think Illinois winning would help our resume also - I just want Iowa to lose......always

It's a bit of a mixed bag, would we rather have Illinois be a ranked win vs Iowa being a ranked loss.

Still rooting for the Fighting Lovie's

Sucks that we play the same time as PSU vs OSU, love to be able to watch the entire game LIVE.

Should just go buy another TV to run both game in my living room.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, would we rather have Illinois be a ranked win vs Iowa being a ranked loss.

Still rooting for the Fighting Lovie's
I'd like to see Lovie do well. Not sure if the committee/SEC sees a win vs a potentially ranked Illinois better than a loss against a ranked Iowa. Either way, I personally want Whyowa to lose.

So while we are still relatively in range of CFP, some possible games with implications:

As mentioned:
OSU vs PSU. I'll learn towards OSU from a rooting interest stand point.

Alabama has something one step better than a bye. I posted a separate thread on that alone.

Illinois vs Iowa. One will win which will help us one will lose which will hurt us. Illinois winning might be better, but I don't really know if a win is more important than a quality loss. That said I expect Iowa to win.

#16 Notre Dame. I always want Notre Dame to lose.

Texas A&M vs #4 Georgia. A Texas A&M win here would be a really nice thing. GA favored by 13.

Michigan Indiana. Both teams playing well. Could be a great game, but I think Michigan is playing well enough right now to beat OSU next week which could be the Big Ten's biggest threat to losing a playoff bid.

Texas - #14 Baylor. Baylor is out of the CFP, and Texas, should they win will probably jump from not ranked to the highest ranked 4 loss team with a win (if they aren't already).

UCLA-USC. Huh... USC is ranked and are going to fire their coach.

Purdue vs Wisconsin. Go Purdue. I don't know if they have any shot. Purdue is missing a bowl game this year by the way.

#1 LSU vs Arkansas. This is almost as bad as Bama playing Western Carolina. Maybe with their coach gone the team will rally to make it entertaining into the 2nd quarter. LSU losing would be great for PAC12, Big 10, and Big 12.

#6 Oregon vs Herman Edwards and ASU. You play to win the game!

TCU at #9 Oklahoma. Go TCU. Oklahoma is the only Big 12 team even in sniffing distance of a CFP birth and they don't have any good opponents left. If MN wins their next two we would pass them easily, but them losing will be a step in the right direction for an 8 game playoff.

#7 Utah vs Arizona. Arizona is 4-6 and is not good. There is nothing about that team to make us think they can beat Utah who actually looks like a solid team against those error prone PAC12 teams.

Nebraska vs Maryland.
Maryland has been really bad lately, but it would be funny.

Go Georgia Southern!!
Go Fresno State!
Go South Dakota State!

So if Purdue wins this week, Illinois still wins out and we lose the next two, Illinois can still be in a three way tie for the west title with us and Wisconsin. I have no idea the tie breakers, because all would be 1-1 against each other. That would be kind of fun, but I'd much rather have a Rose Bowl. Been waiting a long time.

Today is Indiana's big day. Storm chasers, set your eyes to Bloomington, Indiana!

Today is Indiana's big day. Storm chasers, set your eyes to Bloomington, Indiana!
Indiana is much like us over time. I expect them to play well, have a lead in the 4th and blow it in some amazing way. Critical fumble or pick 6. I just expect it.

I'm bummed that Georgia Tech is dropping the triple option. It's what made them my second favorite team. Also because Calvin Johnson is one of my favorite players of all time.

Top Bottom