Week 12 Big Ten Power Rankings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Buckeyes Wire first out of the gate:

#7. Minnesota

Minnesota did to Indiana what Minnesota tends to do to most teams — win a good, old boring game.

Tyler Nubin had a big interception that sealed the Hoosiers’ fate in the third quarter, but this one was only in doubt for the first third of the first half. Tanner Morgan quietly got 196 yards passing while the cadre of running backs amassed 195 yards on the ground.

With the rivalry game up against Wisconsin next week, the Gophers will need to continue running the ball at a high clip — something no team has really done against the Badgers.

Go Gophers!!

Spartans Wire chimes in:

Previous power ranking: No. 7 (same)

Record: 7-4 (5-3 in Big Ten)

Last week’s result: Win at Indiana, 35-14

Like Purdue, Minnesota took care of business against a lesser opponent this week. The Golden Gophers will have a big-time rivalry game against Wisconsin this week to end the regular season.

Go Gophers!!

Nick chimes in:

Last week: No. 9

Last game: 35-14 win over Indiana

Next game: Saturday against Wisconsin

There was some debate to keep Purdue ahead of Minnesota. Ultimately, the head-to-head win for the Gophers was the slight deciding factor this week. That could ultimately change next week and after the postseason. However, after weighing the pros and cons, the Gophers are back in the middle of the conference. It’s been a wild campaign filled with highs and lows for Minnesota, but the Gophers have a chance to make some noise in the rivalry game with the Badgers.

Go Gophers!!

Power rankings all seem pretty consistent at this point and 7 seems to be our number which makes sense. Overall with the conference there still feels like a ton of separation between Ohio State and the rest but once you get past Ohio State there isn't a ton of separation between spots 2 down to spot 10 or so where pretty much anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

I would go:
Ohio state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan state
Minnesota
Purdue
Penn state

Rutgers
maryland

Illinois
Nebraska
Northwestern
Indiana

Power rankings all seem pretty consistent at this point and 7 seems to be our number which makes sense. Overall with the conference there still feels like a ton of separation between Ohio State and the rest but once you get past Ohio State there isn't a ton of separation between spots 2 down to spot 10 or so where pretty much anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.
Anywhere between 6 and 8 could make sense

Teams 9 and 10 seem pretty clear to me as Rutgers and Maryland are both 5-6
No other teams below them can make a bowl. Everyone above them already eligible

I would go:
Ohio state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan state
Minnesota
Purdue
Penn state

Rutgers
maryland

Illinois
Nebraska
Northwestern
Indiana
I would be pretty close to yours but I would go:

Ohio State

Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan State
Minnesota
Purdue
Penn State
Illinois
Nebraska

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Indiana

Anywhere between 6 and 8 could make sense

Teams 9 and 10 seem pretty clear to me as Rutgers and Maryland are both 5-6
No other teams below them can make a bowl. Everyone above them already eligible
The Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska group is interesting. I feel like Illinois and Nebraska are the better overall teams in that group but you are correct that Rutgers and Maryland have the better records and one of them will get to 6 wins when they go head to head this weekend.

Ohio State

Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan State
Minnesota
Purdue
Penn State
Illinois
Nebraska

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Indiana

I think that is pretty good. I might put a space between WI and Iowa and put MI and WI in a tier 2.

The Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska group is interesting. I feel like Illinois and Nebraska are the better overall teams in that group but you are correct that Rutgers and Maryland have the better records and one of them will get to 6 wins when they go head to head this weekend.
It is actually EASIER to be a team in the east. The east has 3 good teams and 3 bad teams (and also Penn state). If Penn state played in the west they might have the same record as Nebraska or Illinois.

I think that is pretty good. I might put a space between WI and Iowa and put MI and WI in a tier 2.
Thought about that but MSU complicates that since they beat Michigan and only lost to Ohio State (granted in a complete and total blowout). I do think there is a little separation between Michigan and Wisconsin from the rest but it isn't very much.

Ohio State

Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan State
Minnesota
Purdue
Penn State
Illinois
Nebraska

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Indiana
The separation of OSU from the rest of the conference is appropriate and has pretty much been that way for two decades now. The East division has an advantage over the West division in regular season crossover games since the geographic split, but if games involving the Buckeyes were factored out, the advantage would be flipped.

Black Hearts Gold Pants chimes in:

7. Minnesota (7-4, 5-3)​

I’m glad to see Minnesota took its turn with Indiana and passed that test with flying colors. Like Nerbaska, I’m putting the Gophers higher than I should for similar reasons: I don’t want Iowa to take the Skers lightly (I don’t think the staff will) and I want the Goofs to take it to Wisconsin (I don’t think that will happen, either).

Go Gophers!!

Thought about that but MSU complicates that since they beat Michigan and only lost to Ohio State (granted in a complete and total blowout). I do think there is a little separation between Michigan and Wisconsin from the rest but it isn't very much.
Michigan state also lost to Purdue
Michigan state would be a 8-4 kind of team in the west.

Michigan state also lost to Purdue
Michigan state would be a 8-4 kind of team in the west.
Forgot about their Purdue loss, but that kind of plays into the bunching of the teams

Leaving Ohio State out of the mix here
Michigan lost to Michigan State
Michigan State lost to Purdue
Purdue Lost to Minnesota, Wisconsin
Iowa lost to Wisconsin and Purdue
Wisconsin lost to Penn State and Michigan
Penn State lost to Illinois, Michigan and Iowa
Minnesota lost to Iowa, Illinois
Nebraska lost to pretty much everyone but by only 1 score....

So makes it tough to sort out the jumble of teams after the Buckeyes this year.

Forgot about their Purdue loss, but that kind of plays into the bunching of the teams

Leaving Ohio State out of the mix here
Michigan lost to Michigan State
Michigan State lost to Purdue
Purdue Lost to Minnesota, Wisconsin
Iowa lost to Wisconsin and Purdue
Wisconsin lost to Penn State and Michigan
Penn State lost to Illinois, Michigan and Iowa
Minnesota lost to Iowa, Illinois
Nebraska lost to pretty much everyone but by only 1 score....

So makes it tough to sort out the jumble of teams after the Buckeyes this year.
Nebraska lost to every team except Fordham, northwestern, and Buffalo.
They have to be at least 9th

if close losses count as wins then Minnesota, wisconsin, And Penn state all need to be higher
Michigan needs to be on same tier as Ohio state

Nebraska lost to every team except Fordham, northwestern, and Buffalo.
They have to be at least 9th

if close losses count as wins then Minnesota, wisconsin, And Penn state all need to be higher
Michigan needs to be on same tier as Ohio state
Should have specified I wasn't putting those teams in any particular order in that post. And Nebraska was there as a joke. Just trying to illustrate how topsy turvy the Big Ten has been this season for every team not named Ohio State.

STrib chimes in:

8. Gophers (7-4, 5-3)

Before playing Wisconsin for the Axe, Gophers would welcome some help from Lincoln on Friday. Last week: 8

Go Gophers!!
lol, not going to subscribe to their garbage to see their full rankings but why am I not surprised that one of our lowest rankings in any of these power rankings comes from a local paper....

STrib chimes in:

8. Gophers (7-4, 5-3)

Before playing Wisconsin for the Axe, Gophers would welcome some help from Lincoln on Friday. Last week: 8

Go Gophers!!
Pretty funny.
Without looking I assume 7 in front of them are:
Ohio state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan state
Penn state

Purdue?
The team we have the same record as and beat head to head on their field?
Or Maryland who we beat?

Top Bottom