Week 1 Big Ten Power Rakings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Buckeyes Wire is first out of the gate:

#9. Minnesota Gophers

Why the Ranking​

Minnesota didn’t win the game against Ohio State, but it sure looked like an outfit that’s going to give the rest of the league some problems. Losing running back Mohamed Ibrahim is not what the doctor ordered though.

Go Gophers!!

Wolverines Wire chimes in:

If there’s such thing as a good loss, well, Minnesota has it. At least in one line of thinking.

The Golden Gophers gave Ohio State all it could handle for three quarters before the Buckeyes pulled away. It’s difficult to gauge how good the defense may or may not be, given how elite OSU is on that side of the ball, but Minnesota certainly proved the Bucks aren’t without sizable flaws.

The big question is the health of running back Mohamed Ibrahim, who was shining on the national stage before sustaining what looked like a devastating injury. Without Ibrahim, the Golden Gophers take a big step back.

Go Gophers!!

Hoosiers Wire chimes in:

10. Minnesota Golden Gophers *** Last Week: 8​

• Last season: Minnesota went 3-4 in 2020, and was 3-4 in the Big Ten, finishing fourth in the Big Ten West. The Gophers did not play in a bowl game.
  • National rankings: No. 41 in Sagarin ratings
  • Preseason B1G power ranking: 8
  • Highest/lowest ranking: 8/10
  • Records: 0-1 overall, 0-1 in Big Ten
  • Last game: Ohio State 45, Minnesota 31 on Sept. 2 in Minneapolis, Minn.
  • Next game: Miami of Ohio at Minnesota, Noon ET on Saturday, Sept. 11 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.
  • TV: ESPNU
  • Fanduel point spread: Minnesota is a 20.5-point favorite in the opening line on Monday morning. Over/under is 56.5 CLICK HERE
  • The skinny: Minnesota had some moments against four-time defending champion Ohio State, still holding a lead well into the third quarter. They're probably better than No. 10 because I still remember 2019, too, but they'll have to show that on the field to move up. They don't play a ranked team again until the middle of November, so it's going to be interesting to see if they can get on a hot streak.

Go Gophers!!

Black Shoe Diaries chimes in:

9. Minnesota​

Look, I had to drop the Gophers because they lost, but man they played well for about 3 quarters. They couldn’t keep up with OSU forever, but they showed that the Buckeyes can bleed.

Go Gophers!!

Land Grant Holy Land chimes in:

7) Minnesota (0-1) | 31-45 loss to Ohio State

Not gonna lie, Minnesota looked much better than I anticipated them to on Thursday night. On the podcast earlier this week, Joshua Perry told me that he thought the Gophers would win the Big Ten West. After the game this week, that wouldn’t shock me at all.

Go Gophers!!

247 Chimes in:

Last game: L - 45-31 to Ohio State

Next game: Saturday against Miami (Ohio)

We’ll leave Minnesota in the middle for now since it had a competitive contest against Ohio State, already looking better than the 2020 version of the Golden Gophers. However, they lost star running back Mohamed Ibrahim to a season-ending injury, resulting in a huge blow to their offensive production. Minnesota should still be competitive with quarterback Tanner Morgan, who was serviceable against a tough pass rush last Thursday. However, it remains to be seen how Minnesota will respond losing its best player.

Go Gophers!!

Land Grant Holy Land chimes in:

7) Minnesota (0-1) | 31-45 loss to Ohio State

Not gonna lie, Minnesota looked much better than I anticipated them to on Thursday night. On the podcast earlier this week, Joshua Perry told me that he thought the Gophers would win the Big Ten West. After the game this week, that wouldn’t shock me at all.

Go Gophers!!
Maryland at 4 in this one is probably too high but overall of the ones posted this would be the one that falls closest to how I saw things. These power rankings are all over the place, don't remember there being so many of them in the past. :)

Very interesting to see how they each view our Ohio State game.

Be pretty difficult to be much higher with a loss. Gotta string some W’s.

Be pretty difficult to be much higher with a loss. Gotta string some W’s.
Power rankings at this time of year shouldn't just be based on record. Who you played and how you did against them should hold a lot of weight. For example, us giving Ohio State a battle and losing is more impressive than Purdue beating a bad Pac 12 team to me.

Interesting how these writers, who probably don't dive deep into most teams, just go with last year's performance and reputation. In contrast, the BTN people, who actually go visit each team, were generally much more optimistic about the Gophs potential before this game and not surprised by their performance vs. OSU.

I've read a lot of the rankings and there's a real "cautious optimism" feeling around the Gophers. The sense I'm getting is people saw Minnesota as a middle of the pack team with the chance to jump up later this season, but were dropped back in this batch of rankings because of the Mo injury.

My guess is the view will be similar to 2019. We keep stacking up wins and will take steps up the conference ladder.

Noel chimes in:

6. Minnesota (0-1)

The Gophers had every reason to bow out of the game after being down 10-0 but they responded back with 14 unanswered points to take the lead into halftime. Before Mo Ibrahim going down with an injury, the Gophers were making the Buckeyes work for the win. Even with Mo Ibrahim out for the season, their offensive line should help out whoever is running behind them.

Next Up: Miami of Ohio

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom