Weber's inability to toss a good ball.

wait!what?

Reaction score
Adam Weber’s inability to successfully complete a pass in crucial spots this season would just about kill any coaches career. What is it with AW not being able to hit a player in the hands? Now, I have only been able to listen to away games on the radio so for you folks watching the games on TV, PC, phone are these missed awful passes all Weber’s fault? Is the coverage on the D great? are we seeing bad routes or is it possible that AW is missing the mark 75% of the time?
The Dave Lee Purdue call (which was pretty good this weekend) makes it appear like it is all Weber’s fault and that in the WI and Purdue game he has had time to find a receiver. I am at the games in TCF and know that AW panics and gets to about his #2 check before the ball is thrown 10 ft over the head of a 6ft WR.

I haven't watching the whole game Purdue but the plays I did see it looked like he had plenty of time to throw.

His accuracy, or lack thereof, can be maddening, but what is more bothersome to me is his inability to work through his checkdowns. He never gets his feet set after the first read.

For whatever reason he had great protection all game long against Purdue and couldn't hit a reciever in the first half. They play conservative and don't throw the ball that much early in the game except in obvious throwing situations, that may have impacted things.

Here is the deal:

There are SO many moving parts to a passing game and there are SO many freaking things that can go wrong with a passing game, it is totally foolish talk on your part to try to fault ONE player with problems with a passing game. IF you want to say the passing game sucks, you had best start pointing the finger at every offensive player on the field. Blocking, timing, correct route running, lack of pinpoint passing, failing to hang on to the ball, lack of execution by the passer, receivers and offensive line, wind, rain sleet, snow, good defense, short-arming receivers, lack of concentration, miscommunication, missed audibles, BAD coaching, bad play calling, and a host of other problems. Blame Weber entirely if you want, I'll have to go with putting it ALL on the coaches for not coaching the kind of passing game that YOU think you want (one that works ALL the time) and failing to get their point across to their players and to the other teams defenders.

Learn to run the ball and stop the run. Then, work in some play-action passes. But, coach ALL your players up in the "so-called" fine art of the passing game.

What's maddening is that he goes out there and throws a perfect pass in garbage time to McKnight for the TD but can hit his guys in the flat 6 yards out. The talent is there at moments, it just doesn't seem to come together.

Adam Weber was not recruited to be a long ball QB. He was recruited to be a somewhat mobil smart QB that could read D's and lead a run based O.

How often does the current team check out of bad plays and into new ones? Remeber QBs past Asad / Brian ..... they changed the play almost every down that is coaching.

Brewsters lack of coaching to his players styles killed these teams he has no biz being a head coach for a big ten team.

I seem to remember Sauter was a good pocket QB and then they made him run the option constantly.

What? Wait a minute wait... I don't recall Sauter running the option very often at all. They had a package with option in it, but, they didn't do it "all the time..." I do recall one td that Sauter did score on the option though. : 0 )

He's not so bad on difficult deep throws. It's the dink and dunk that kills him.

His inconsistency is appalling as a Senior. Sure being inaccurate happens every once in a while, but the way he skips passes and overthrows on a regular basis is pretty embarrassing. Even a crappy QB can pull a good game out of his wazoo. Most of Weber's stats have been accrued in garbage time this year with Mcknight making ridiculous catches in the end zone. It's not even a mechanics issue because he's inaccurate even when there is a solid pocket around him. Has he tried the tire swing before? C'mon man!

His inconsistency is appalling as a Senior. Sure being inaccurate happens every once in a while, but the way he skips passes and overthrows on a regular basis is pretty embarrassing. Even a crappy QB can pull a good game out of his wazoo. Most of Weber's stats have been accrued in garbage time this year with Mcknight making ridiculous catches in the end zone. It's not even a mechanics issue because he's inaccurate even when there is a solid pocket around him. Has he tried the tire swing before? C'mon man!

Bingo! Exactly! Weber also has zero pocket presence after 4 years of playing full time. He can't throw screens and can't hit wide open WRs on short crossing routes. I put a lot of blame last year on the god-awful pass protection but this year he has 5 seconds to throw and the results are worse. Our only hope is to throw go routes and deep post patterns with Weber. Nice kid though.

But Weber can't be bad! His stats are just so amazing!:confused:

I was being sarcastic. As Mark Twain once said.

"Lies, damned lies and statistics."

Weber's problem appear to be all mental. The majority of the time he makes the wrong read and has to force it into coverage. He is so uncomfortbale in the pocket that when someone is open he is unable to make an accurate pass.

Being sacked all the time during the early part of his career has obviously affected his confidence. He plays scared and its obvious in his footwork in the pocket and how quickly he tries to get rid of the ball when he thinks he has held onto the ball too long.

Unless he regains his confidence his play isn't going to change.

One thing think about: whens the last time the gophers have had a lot of Yards after Catch. YAC is an indicator of a QB getting te ball to a WR in a position to make a play and Weber isn't doing that.

I think the two deep balls to McKnight during the Purdue game sum up Adam Weber. On the first pass early in the game (first half IIRC) Weber overthrows a wide open McKnight in the end zone on what would have been a sure TD and put the score at 14-7. Later in the game (game most likely out of reach) He throws a great ball of about the similar length (but with much more air under it) to McKnight for a nice TD pass and play.

I know every deep ball is going to be perfectly thrown, but to me it is the timing of the completion and incompletion that sum up Adam Weber.

I knew a lot of golfers who would be #1 in the world if the game was played on the driving range, but it isn't. That screams to the mental aspect of things as other have alluded.

Weber's problem appear to be all mental. The majority of the time he makes the wrong read and has to force it into coverage. He is so uncomfortbale in the pocket that when someone is open he is unable to make an accurate pass.

Being sacked all the time during the early part of his career has obviously affected his confidence. He plays scared and its obvious in his footwork in the pocket and how quickly he tries to get rid of the ball when he thinks he has held onto the ball too long.

Unless he regains his confidence his play isn't going to change.

One thing think about: whens the last time the gophers have had a lot of Yards after Catch. YAC is an indicator of a QB getting te ball to a WR in a position to make a play and Weber isn't doing that.

Correct. QB is also the one position on the field which requires a player to use his brain more than his skills.

I think the two deep balls to McKnight during the Purdue game sum up Adam Weber. On the first pass early in the game (first half IIRC) Weber overthrows a wide open McKnight in the end zone on what would have been a sure TD and put the score at 14-7. Later in the game (game most likely out of reach) He throws a great ball of about the similar length (but with much more air under it) to McKnight for a nice TD pass and play.

I know every deep ball is going to be perfectly thrown, but to me it is the timing of the completion and incompletion that sum up Adam Weber.

I knew a lot of golfers who would be #1 in the world if the game was played on the driving range, but it isn't. That screams to the mental aspect of things as other have alluded.

I think maybe he tries to be too perfect or plays tight when the game is on the line. The first pass didn't require a perfect throw for a play to be made but Adam still screwed it up.

I think maybe he tries to be too perfect or plays tight when the game is on the line. The first pass didn't require a perfect throw for a play to be made but Adam still screwed it up.

I agree, the more I think about it Adam might be a case of a kid who tries to hard to be perfect and over thinks rather than reacts to what he sees.

Top Bottom