Weber, Brewster ruin the day

upchurch

Reaction score
It all started with Dave Lee calling Wills "Willis" and some idiot from Wisconsin trying to ruin the pre-game show. When Dave Mona said, "What color are we seeing in the stadium today?" and the Scnoie idiot shouts, "Red" and no one seems to challenge him. Dave Lee is the worst play-by-play man ever and they should never play Ray C. highlights on the pre-game because we then really realize how horrible Lee is.

Why does Brewster waste his time outs all the time? It came back to bite him in the ass but he does it every game. And he calls time out on 3 down and calls a play where Weber throws a pick because Weber has NO vision. He throws to covered receivers ALL the time.

Even Bob Griese agrees with me. Weber takes sacks when he shouldn't, he throws way too many picks. Then when he does complete long passes the receiver often has to stop and go back for the ball. Weber has no feel for the rush, he can't escape the rush. He is not a great qb. He just doesn't have a feel for the game. I thought so when he was in high school. And now he's had 4 years and we're still saying how great he is. No he is not. Gray is better. Give Gray a chance.

Stoudemire makes great plays and he hardly touches the ball. Then Jay Thomas takes a kickoff out of Troy's hands and gets no yardage.

Why is McGarry in there? His holding was pathetic. Why does Lair hardly touch the ball (he shows great running ability)? Why is Moen still starting? Why does Whaley hardly get a chance? And where is Gray? What a complete waste of a year of eligibility.

I have watched this mediocre football since the 60s and I am sick and tired of it.

We have a gold out so the team wears maroon, the band is in maroon and the cheerleaders are in maroon....and Goldy is wearing purple.
Hello, Joel, get a coach in here who can manage a game. And please ask Brew boy to put in Gray and either make me look like a hero or an idiot.

It all started with Dave Lee calling Wills "Willis" and some idiot from Wisconsin trying to ruin the pre-game show. When Dave Mona said, "What color are we seeing in the stadium today?" and the Scnoie idiot shouts, "Red" and no one seems to challenge him. Dave Lee is the worst play-by-play man ever and they should never play Ray C. highlights on the pre-game because we then really realize how horrible Lee is.

Why does Brewster waste his time outs all the time? It came back to bite him in the ass but he does it every game. And he calls time out on 3 down and calls a play where Weber throws a pick because Weber has NO vision. He throws to covered receivers ALL the time.

Even Bob Griese agrees with me. Weber takes sacks when he shouldn't, he throws way too many picks. Then when he does complete long passes the receiver often has to stop and go back for the ball. Weber has no feel for the rush, he can't escape the rush. He is not a great qb. He just doesn't have a feel for the game. I thought so when he was in high school. And now he's had 4 years and we're still saying how great he is. No he is not. Gray is better. Give Gray a chance.

Stoudemire makes great plays and he hardly touches the ball. Then Jay Thomas takes a kickoff out of Troy's hands and gets no yardage.

Why is McGarry in there? His holding was pathetic. Why does Lair hardly touch the ball (he shows great running ability)? Why is Moen still starting? Why does Whaley hardly get a chance? And where is Gray? What a complete waste of a year of eligibility.

I have watched this mediocre football since the 60s and I am sick and tired of it.

We have a gold out so the team wears maroon, the band is in maroon and the cheerleaders are in maroon....and Goldy is wearing purple.
Hello, Joel, get a coach in here who can manage a game. And please ask Brew boy to put in Gray and either make me look like a hero or an idiot.

You say Gray is better yet he hasn't thrown a pass in a game. Might be a reason for that.

Lair's ran one fricking time on a gimmick play and you say he has great running ability?

It's amazing how the ESPN Announcers can see problems in Weber that certain posters have been pointing out for 3 years yet some posters don't see it. They know their football.......

So because Gray hasn't passed, that means he can't pass. Good logic.

Weber HAS thrown passes and he can't pass. How do you like that?

Weber had an average day. The offense went south in the third quarter. He's not mobile and doesn't manage the game all that well. It seems obvious with Gray you have a much greater talent but you would have to suffer through the learning curve.

What happened to the defense though. They were completely handled up front in the second half. Other than turnovers did they make a stop. They looked slow, were turned away from the play, and just totally dominated.

Weber can throw effectively when he as time, as we saw on the two quick strikes on their last TD drive. The offensive line couldn't stop the blitz on the last drive and that was it. I blame the offensive line there and the defensive line was totally outclassed in the 2nd half. That's where the game is almost always won an lost. The Gophers only chance was to pull off a couple of huge plays. The got the big fumble recovery and almost blocked that last punt. That was their only shot at a win today. There was no way they were going to win by grinding it out with these guys.

Brewster? Yeah, he's the guy holding on big plays and taunting Wisconsin players for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

Brewster is no genius, but his players let him down today.

Weber can throw effectively when he as time, as we saw on the two quick strikes on their last TD drive. The offensive line couldn't stop the blitz on the last drive and that was it. I blame the offensive line there and the defensive line was totally outclassed in the 2nd half. That's where the game is almost always won an lost. The Gophers only chance was to pull off a couple of huge plays. The got the big fumble recovery and almost blocked that last punt. That was their only shot at a win today. There was no way they were going to win by grinding it out with these guys.

those two quick strikes were more a product of the receivers making great plays (i think both had to come back for the ball) as opposed to weber making great throws

Weber can't be the QB of a top-25 team. Every down field throw is a jump ball--he can't hit the receivers in stride. Time for Gray to see some significant time.

i wonder why they changed his throwing motion? he was better last year with worse tunnel vision. he has trouble making throws that are within 10 yards of him. whats weber's deal?

....and Goldy is wearing purple.

I think most of us know the problems our team has and you raise some good questions, but this is the most important of the day:

WHY was Goldy schlepping for the Vikes? This was sacrilege. Where was Goldy's focus today? I'm certain if he had given his full attention to the Gopher team, we would have won. Did Goldy even try to beat up Buckie? I just don't get this behavior from our most beloved rodent. Today, this was not the same gopher that bested Carl Spackler.

I think most of us know the problems our team has and you raise some good questions, but this is the most important of the day:

WHY was Goldy schlepping for the Vikes? This was sacrilege. Where was Goldy's focus today? I'm certain if he had given his full attention to the Gopher team, we would have won. Did Goldy even try to beat up Buckie? I just don't get this behavior from our most beloved rodent. Today, this was not the same gopher that bested Carl Spackler.

no kidding. someone should talk to the idiots in the marketing dept. on that one. lame.

Weber can't be the QB of a top-25 team. Every down field throw is a jump ball--he can't hit the receivers in stride. Time for Gray to see some significant time.

that's the thing i noticed today. his deep balls are like punts. he just chucks it up and hopes someone comes down with it.

he is not a good QB. misses wide open receivers, locks on to people like crazy and is absolutely horrible at eluding even the weakest pass rush.

if it wasn't for decker, weber would be beyond attrocious.

Weber is terrible and unfortunately, when we can't run the ball, we live and die with Weber. If he is on, we look good, we he is off, we have NO chance. BRUTAL!

The third and three killed me

Inside the 20 and Tow-Arnett is wide open and he fires a laser at his shins. Terrible.

Weber not cut out for BT

Case in point regarding previous posts about Weber "staring down" Decker. I specifically watched the field goal drive before halftime. The announcers clearly called it when Weber went out right and two defenders were tasked to cover him. Rather than looking down the receivers...Weber decides to stair at Decker for about 3 frickin seconds before realizing (in desperation) that he would definitely not be able to throw to him in double coverage, THEN, and only then, does he rushingly (under pressure) try to dump it off to a sliding Green at the left pylon at the front of the endzone. Of course, the ball is too low and Green is unable to catch it and, thus, we settled for a FG.

So because Gray hasn't passed, that means he can't pass. Good logic.

Weber HAS thrown passes and he can't pass. How do you like that?

Um, yea we have seen him pass. Gray did not look at all ready for the big ten during the scrimmage. His passing looked horrible. Mr. Know it all.

Um, yea we have seen him pass. Gray did not look at all ready for the big ten during the scrimmage. His passing looked horrible. Mr. Know it all.

During scrimage Gray was with the 2nd team O get him on the 1st team O and it would be a whole different story.

For a third year starting quarterback I think that Weber has regressed this year. His decision making is horrible at times and Decker's athletic ability is the primary reason he makes many of his catches. Both lines struggled today and if they don't pick up their play, this year will be much the same as the previous two years under Brew's tutelage... Love Brew's emotion but not too sure of his coaching.

The only thing I can think of is that Bud Grant was inducted into whatever Hall of Fame thing at halftime so Vikings would make some sense although I have my doubts that that is what they were going for.

those two quick strikes were more a product of the receivers making great plays (i think both had to come back for the ball) as opposed to weber making great throws

Probably the only time I'll ever agree with you Bronko. He throws absolute trash to Decker and every other receiver all day, but Decker is enough of a stud to bail him out. Again today Decker showed that he was out on that field in a league of his own. Weber just makes mistakes on the most basic of screen passes and things like that. On those final drives he kept throwing every single pass behind the receiver.

On the play where Decker got face-raped by the safety (and somehow it wasn't a penalty), Weber could have hit him for a TD, but he underthrew the ball very very very badly and Decker looked like a magician coming back for that ball.

But seriously, that play and the no-call on the Roughing the Kicker following that were absolutely ridiculous. The punter just got hit to the ground with his leg in the air by the Wisconsin player and when he tries to plead his case with the head ref he just kept shrugging it off and pointing to the sideline to get him off the field. Terrible. Not that it cost us the game, but it's worth pointing out.

Originally Posted by JackiO

I'm glad you recognize that I know it all. And I know Weber is not at all ready for the big ten

A lot of bagging on Weber today, and deservedly so. But I will say it was tough for him to make a play on the last offensive series when he couldn't even get set out to throw out of the shotgun because there were 3 Badgers in the backfield almost instantly. The O-line barely gave him a chance to breathe.

He also took a hellacious hit in the endzone on that pass to Stoudemire (where he showed the sweet footwork) to get the 1st down. His pocket presence and composure was solid there.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Weber, but he didn't get much help from his line. Bottom line is - if he leads us down the field for a gamewinning drive, we're not having this conversation, so I can't say his performance was benchworthy.

There is a problem with the passing game. Weber has some responsibility. Coaches, and O-line as well. The last drive was all coaches. We only needed a field goal, we had two minutes. They were looking for long passes and should have been looking 5-10, boom, boom, boom. Sacks shouldn't have even been possible because he should never have been holding the ball long enough to be sacked. Possibly, because of lack of TO's they weren't able to make that adjustment. But it was frustrating to watch.

The Gophs lack overall TALENT. That is their biggest flaw. Second biggest flaw is changing coordinators over and over and over. Wisky has run essentially the same systems for a number of years. That issue is way underrated as a problem on this team. Our offensive line is marginal at best, our safties are probably the worst in the Big Ten, our defensive ends could just as well stay in the dorm on game day, our running backs are maybe D1 average......where are we above the average in the B10? WR? LB? DT? CB? Maybe, maybe not. Triplett, Decker and Troy have shown us they are outstanding players. You have got to have more than that to win in the Big Ten.

You say Gray is better yet he hasn't thrown a pass in a game. Might be a reason for that.

Lair's ran one fricking time on a gimmick play and you say he has great running ability?

There is a reason most of the people on here are anonymous posters bitching about college football rather than football coaches. ESPN ran a great commercial recently about a grocery store clerk fantasizing about being Belichick. Similar situation here.

The heat for Weber is laughable. Give me Adam Weber everyday of F-ing week. I love the way he plays the game. Do you ever remember Bryan Cupito? Cockerham? It was struggle to even complete a pass.

The heat ON Weber courtesy of a lacking offensive line is the source of 95% of the Gophers problems offensively. Weber needs time, the running back need holes to run through...we have to start winning games up front. Brewster knows this, and he has recruited offensive line hard. Patience people.

Watched the ESPN-cast and thought Bob G/Chris S's commentary and analysis was excellent...lots of insightful remarks about issues this board has been ragging on Brew and various players about for months. A great deal of teaching and coaching insight there that any smart football mind should be interested in incorporating and implementing. BTN analysts/coaches also do a good job. Hopefully Brew & Staff plus players are tapping into these sources as a learning tool to eliminate the repetitive mistakes and snafus obvious to even the casual fan.

Top Bottom