Weather or climate?

LesBolstad

As long as you are here too, might as well include you on this teachable moment.

What's your take on the website you linked in this thread?
Dude, DH has put you in a escape proof box this entire thread. Time to take a couple days off and regroup. IALTO!:clap:

diehard

Oh look, you're deflecting and lying. Again. :rolleyes: You are pathetic.

You probably should've looked more closely. The anonymous blogger who's post your using here took materials from those sources out of context and misrepresented them. For instance, the article this post links regarding the Greenland ice sheets...how they've been increasing recently. The poster conveniently skips over this passage:

"Overall, initial figures suggest that Greenland may have gained a small amount of ice over the 2016-17 year. If confirmed, this would mark a one-year blip in the long-term trend of year-on-year declines over recent decades.

The unusual year is mainly down to heavy snow and rain in winter and a relatively short and intermittent summer melt season. And the source of that bumper winter snowfall was the remnants of a hurricane that wreaked widespread damage 4,500km away in Bermuda.
"

The hurricane referenced is Hurricane Nicole. This passage negates most of the images used in this post, as it shows the author pulled images for proof, but without considering what other factors were at influence.

The author also only references a single glacier increasing in size to support the claims of the post, while failing to address the endless number of glaciers (also with satellite imagery) that are receding.

Also, you may notice that every post on that website is by the same username...this is nothing more than a personal blog. Notice how there's no description or "about" section located anywhere on the entire website? How...convenient.

Diehard, you really got punked by the post you linked.
You do not know it, but you have really embarrassed yourself. Not everyone who reads this is a stupid progressive who buys any fictitious account associated with AGW.

So to the original question. Weather or climate? (Don't worry that one is too much for you.)

GopherJake

You do not know it, but you have really embarrassed yourself. Not everyone who reads this is a stupid progressive who buys any fictitious account associated with AGW.

So to the original question. Weather or climate? (Don't worry that one is too much for you.)
If it is so easily refuted, take a shot, Little Stick.

KillerGopherFan

Sooo.....Two devastating earthquakes in a week and 3 mega hurricanes in the last few weeks.
Yup, things are status quo.
I remember the winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15 as two of the coldest in my life time. But we were told by the climate scientists that you can't use short-term, regional weather to evaluate Climate Change.

Then there's this from the scientists that advocate Global Climate Change:

...the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s Fifth Assessment Report assigns a rating of “low confidence” to attributing any human contributions (that is, increasing greenhouse gas emissions) to changes in tropical cyclone activity.

Harvey and Irma are the first two Category 3 or above storms to make landfall in the United States since Katrina in 2005. That’s 12 years without a major storm.

From an Op-Ed in the Hill that referenced the UN Intergovernmental Panel:
http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/350893-stop-the-loose-talk-about-hurricanes-and-global-warming?rnd=1505497968

Evaluating Climate Change based on short term observations is unwise. Even the Climate Scientists and NOAA are saying that Harvey and Irma aren't the result of climate change.
Not very scientific of you ruppert!

justthefacts

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/sea-ice-extent-sinks-to-record-lows-at-both-poles

Arctic sea ice appears to have reached on March 7 a record low wintertime maximum extent, according to scientists at NASA and the NASA-supported National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) in Boulder, Colorado. And on the opposite side of the planet, on March 3 sea ice around Antarctica hit its lowest extent ever recorded by satellites at the end of summer in the Southern Hemisphere, a surprising turn of events after decades of moderate sea ice expansion.

justthefacts

I remember the winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15 as two of the coldest in my life time. But we were told by the climate scientists that you can't use short-term, regional weather to evaluate Climate Change.

Then there's this from the scientists that advocate Global Climate Change:

...the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s Fifth Assessment Report assigns a rating of “low confidence” to attributing any human contributions (that is, increasing greenhouse gas emissions) to changes in tropical cyclone activity.

Harvey and Irma are the first two Category 3 or above storms to make landfall in the United States since Katrina in 2005. That’s 12 years without a major storm.

From an Op-Ed in the Hill that referenced the UN Intergovernmental Panel:
http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/350893-stop-the-loose-talk-about-hurricanes-and-global-warming?rnd=1505497968

Evaluating Climate Change based on short term observations is unwise. Even the Climate Scientists and NOAA are saying that Harvey and Irma aren't the result of climate change.
Not very scientific of you ruppert!
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?78050-Pope-Francis-very-critical-of-Climate-deniers&p=1434032#post1434032

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KillerGopherFan

facts, i saw it the first time you posted. But I admire your persistence.
It's interesting and I will consider it in the grand scheme of things.

cncmin

I can't figure out why GopherWeatherGuy isn't expanding on his theory that the earth is a closed energy system in energy equilibrium, where energy just moves from one place to another and is always in perfect balance, thus the earth can't be warming. And I can't figure out why Victim2 isn't here agreeing with all of that nonsense, even though he hasn't the slightest clue what any of that means. Instead, GWG is posting dicpics. *Disappointing*

mplarson7

The embarrassment is only yours. You're just too dense to realize it.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
I can't figure out why GopherWeatherGuy isn't expanding on his theory that the earth is a closed energy system in energy equilibrium, where energy just moves from one place to another and is always in perfect balance, thus the earth can't be warming. And I can't figure out why Victim2 isn't here agreeing with all of that nonsense, even though he hasn't the slightest clue what any of that means. Instead, GWG is posting dicpics. *Disappointing*
Uh, that was me. My subtext with adding the humor is that the whole question of whether the Earth is warming is a joke, so why not make the thread a complete joke.

DougMN

What an incredibly delicious post. Some rube even used "Deplorable and Science" in the blog name knowing that he made an Oxymoron.

I am a map guy. It's what I do. The map that was created to show the 'Sea Ice Extent' was made with an ArcView application that was popular 20 years ago. That's why it looks so sh*tty. Was great for college students- 20 years ago- which makes me think that this map was created by an undergrad- 20 years ago and someone played with the labeling. Any person with even the tiniest bit of Cartography training or education knows that this map was created by someone who has no clue as to what a Cartographic Principle even is...this is an embarrassment and professors today would put this up in from of the class for comedic relief in a Thematic Mapping class. This literally made my day.

But then if you actually go to the source and look at the data, which I am sure the folks who put this ignorance together would never want you to do, they are cherry picking their overlay imagery. Not to mention that their overlay imagery would not even be able to be used in an ArcView program. What they fail to mention is that EVERY year, the North Pole ice sheet thaws and freezes to some extent. The Blue Ice- which can be hundreds of years old and extremely think is melting at very fast rate. Every year- the pole freezes with a thin sheet that from satellite imagery makes it appear that it is 'recovering'.

Here is a real link with real science behind it-

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/end-of-summer-arctic-sea-ice-extent-is-eighth-lowest-on-record

Cherry picked data that was presented purposefully misleading. And I actually don't even think they used current data. This map was created in early 2000's and someone changed some labeling on it. diehard, you should be embarrassed- but I know you are not.

Latest profile posts

If you're going bear hunting, you better be prepared to go get the bear.
Reactions: Face The Facts
60's Guy
If you go bear hunting what’s the plan if you get one? (1) Heavy to get out of the woods? (2) Food value? (3) Expensive rug!
Just curious...obviously bear 🐻 hunting would be down on my list of things to do.