We cannot be a great team with poor FT shooting

C

CaliforniaGopher

I hate losing games at the FT line, but this is one of those games we lost at the line.

And on the boards, and shooting 15% from 3 point land...those all played a HUGE part in our loss.

There's no doubt, we need to improve our FT shooting, or we're in trouble.

Joseph continues to piss me off more than he impresses me. I think he's a pretty overrated shooter. At least he can actually drive somewhat this year. I'd like to see him do more of that. He seems to miss so many uncontested shots.

Agreed, the FT shooting played a large role in costing us this game. Thankfully, FT shooting is something you can fix with hard work. If I could learn to be a good FT shooter, these divison I college athelets can tune it up as well.

Joseph continues to piss me off more than he impresses me. I think he's a pretty overrated shooter. At least he can actually drive somewhat this year. I'd like to see him do more of that. He seems to miss so many uncontested shots.

Yeah, he had three or four wide-open looks that weren't even on line. With these guys, I really think that it becomes a mind-game thing. As soon as they miss a couple, they all start thinking about it and it gets worse. Blake had it happen last year and the whole team had it happen tonight. Somebody needs to have the gumption to continue to play hard and just play through it rather than letting it become a mind-game.

When a guard shoots 2 for 5 from the FT line you know he's not a great shooter.

Unfortunately, you can't really coach shooting or Tubby would have gotten this corrected by now.

Best he can do is force them to shoot 100 FT's each every day after practice but that's not really going to help much. FT shooting comes down to natural shooting ability more than anything else.

This team will be 1 and done in the NCAA tourney again...IF they get there.

If they get there? A bit of an overreaction?

When a guard shoots 2 for 5 from the FT line you know he's not a great shooter.

Unfortunately, you can't really coach shooting or Tubby would have gotten this corrected by now.

Best he can do is force them to shoot 100 FT's each every day after practice but that's not really going to help much. FT shooting comes down to natural shooting ability more than anything else.

This team will be 1 and done in the NCAA tourney again...IF they get there.

If they get there? A bit of an overreaction?

9th or 10th place is NOT out of question if we cant shoot free throws....there will be many close games in the Big 10 play and shooting 55% will get the Gophers an NIT bid.

9th or 10th place is NOT out of question if we cant shoot free throws....there will be many close games in the Big 10 play and shooting 55% will get the Gophers an NIT bid.

I think that would be true if we always shot that poorly, but hopefully this is just an aberration
and we have seen the Gophers' worst game of the year. I don't think anyone is very happy
with how we played vs. Portland - we are simply a much better team than that!! (I hope!)

charity

The team shot 71% last year so I doubt they will shoot as poorly as 55% or even 65% this year.

The main difference so far this year is Westbrook who shot about 80% last year isnt getting to the line and RSIII is shooting 55% instead of the 75% he shot last year.

Devoe and Carter need to pick it up at the stripe. Colton, God love him, is Spencer-like so far.

So like I said, overreaction. We had one terrible game at the FT line. What do you think the chances are we shoot that poorly through the season? And even if we did, we still wouldn't be 9th or 10th.

My friends who I was watching the game with had to tell me to shut up because I was complaining the entire game about poor free throw shooting. It is unacceptable. Close games are won and lost at the line. Come Big Ten play, we might have to deal with some very dissapointing losses (much like friday) if we continue to shoot free throws like this.

Oh, and believe me......I was complaining about free throws the night before too.

Close games are won or lost by:

1. Hitting or missing 3's the whole game;

2. Hitting or missing open 2's the whole game;

3. Hitting or missing free throws the whole game;

4. Dominating or being dominated on the boards the whole game;

5. Winning or losing the turnover battles the whole game;

6. End result...Scoring more points or fewer points at the final buzzer.

My friends who I was watching the game with had to tell me to shut up because I was complaining the entire game about poor free throw shooting. It is unacceptable. Close games are won and lost at the line. Come Big Ten play, we might have to deal with some very dissapointing losses (much like friday) if we continue to shoot free throws like this.

Oh, and believe me......I was complaining about free throws the night before too.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/1997-98.html Tubby's best team ever shot 67.5% FT.

That's a poor number but that particular team won the SEC title, SEC and NCAA tourneys.

Top Bottom