Watching the spring game... Annexstad is impressive!

The Gophers are blessed with two starters. Kudos to Zak for being a real trooper.

Overall he had a decent game, but he had 2 really bad interceptions that if it were Morgan, you'd be calling for the back-up to play. The first one was a throw that sailed on him while scrambling from pressure, and a linebacker I've never heard of had an easy interception. The other was the fade to Jackson that Terrell Smith picked off. If we're being honest, it was a terrible throw, well underthrown for a fade.

That said, overall I thought he played pretty well and would be comfortable with him being the No. 2 if Tanner Morgan goes down.

Making solid predictions about fall performances using performances in a spring "game" is fool's gold.
#7 did show good hands and the ability to come back to the ball on Mogan's consistently underthrown deep balls.

He had some HIGH highs (ran the read option perfectly)
but had some LOW lows....but first time in a game sim in 2 years, he did fine.

Making solid predictions about fall performances using performances in a spring "game" is fool's gold.
#7 did show good hands and the ability to come back to the ball on Mogan's consistently underthrown deep balls.

How is Sconnie’s offense going to look in 2021?

Not buying the announcer's comment that the "underthrown" balls were "back-shoulder" throws?

Not buying the announcer's comment that the "underthrown" balls were "back-shoulder" throws?
I don't have an opinion either way on the throws in question but:

Does it matter if they were?

Results are the same none the less.

They have a great young running back: Berger. They have some very good WRs, but their blog commenters say that at open practices (a couple) they were running a lot of two TE, power sets. Kind of like every year. So my guess is that the offense will rise and fall with QB Graham Mertz, who as a true freshman played incredibly in first half of 2020 season and like a scared rabbit in the second half. The WI OL will be great. On defense, I don't know about the DL, but the pair of LBs who terrorized us in the 2020 game, Sanborn and Chenel are back. Sanborn is the leader of the D and Chenel is a 6'2" 250lb kid from Grantsburg, WI who moves like a cat. I'm not looking for WI to have a down year; if we beat them, it will be fair and square because we rattled QB Mertz and/or contained RB Berger and/or accounted for the human wrecking balls, LBs Sanborn and Chenel. I think the 2021 Gopher team has the materials to beat Wisconsin, but it will be a battle and we'll have to play a great game. Kind of like every year ...

Last edited:

They have a great young running back: Berger. They have some very good WRs, but their blog commenters say that at open practices (a couple) they were running a lot of two TE, power sets. Kind of like every year. So my guess is that the offense will rise and fall with QB Graham Mertz, who as a true freshman played incredibly in first half of 2020 season and like a scared rabbit in the second half. The WI OL will be great. On defense, I don't know about the DL, but the pair of LBs who terrorized us in the 2020 game, Sanborn and Chenel are back. Sanborn is the leader of the D and Chenel is a 6'2" 250lb kid from Grantsburg, WI who moves like a cat. I'm not looking for WI to have a down year; if we beat them, it will be fair and square because we rattled QB Mertz and/or contained RB Berger and/or accounted for the human wrecking balls, LBs Sanborn and Chenel. I think the 2021 Gopher team has the materials to beat Wisconsin, but it will be a battle and we'll have to play a great game. Kind of like every year ...
Not really the place for a Wisconsin discussion but I think it is a bit early to be referring to a guy who has yet to crack 100 yards in a game as great. Berger certainly has potential but has a ways to go before being viewed as the next great Wisconsin Running Back.

edit: I see PE was responding to one of our friendly neighborhood Badger fans Plato....I know fans of other programs like to troll opponent message boards but it is shocking the amount of time he spends on here.

Last edited:

Like all teams in the BIG West it will be hard to know until the end of September.
NE plays OK, MN plays tOSU, WI plays PSU and Notre Dame and IA plays IAST in September and that will provide a glance into the future.
After that it is injuries and depth that will tell the tale.

Not really the place for a Wisconsin discussion but I think it is a bit early to be referring to a guy who has yet to crack 100 yards in a game as great. Berger certainly has potential but has a ways to go before being viewed as the next great Wisconsin Running Back.

edit: I see PE was responding to one of our friendly neighborhood Badger fans Plato....I know fans of other programs like to troll opponent message boards but it is shocking the amount of time he spends on here.
I will put my U of MN bona fides up against any person here.

it is amazing that in the first 4 posts, we had 4 variations of Annexstad's first name. Impressive. Feels similar to the good ole days of Claeys
But seem to nail the spelling of his last name every time...

Top Bottom