Waaay Off Topic: Sad Iowa basketball...

Iowa is a very difficult basketball job unless a coach can consistently bring in a ton of talent from out of state.

I agree an Iowa coach has to bring some out of state talent into the fold. However, the basketball talent within Iowa is pretty good. If he keeps the prime talent in state I don't think he'll have to supplement his roster with any more out of state players than most other coaches. There is no reason he isn't going with 3-4 Iowans on the roster from year to year. I wonder, but I bet there are just as many native Iowans playing in the NBA than there are native Minnesotans. The problem is the Iowa coach (whomever it has been, including Dr. Tom) hasn't been able to keep the elite level guy (Lafrentz, Collision, Heinrich, Barnes) in state and then overlooked the second level kid who could play in the Big Ten but end up being Player of the Year in the MVC every year (Korver, Jacobsen, etc.).

Incorrect. In the original thread, the idiot from Iowa said that he is able to "regularly attend Broadway quality theatre in Des Moines". I see no comparison in that statement to the quality of theater in Minnesota. Moreover, he is implying that seeing a Broadway show, on Broadway, in NYC, is the same as seeing it in the middle of a cornfield. That statement is so preposterous I don't even know where to begin.

My original analogy stands as valid. Your inferiority complex continues to show through in that you make comparisons to Minneapolis that weren't even there to begin with. Furthermore, last time I checked, the University of Iowa is in Iowa City. I don't know why this numbnuts even brought Des Moines into the conversation in the first place.

As I stated in my earlier post, I grew up and spent my entire life in the Twin Cities before moving down to Des Moines in 2003. I am an alum of the University of Minnesota, a football season ticket holder, and I attend about five to seven basketball games a year (too difficult to get for more than that in the winter).

I honestly must say that your statement implying that Des Moines is somehow "in the middle of a cornfield" is utterly ridiculous and makes you come across as an ignorant fool. Sure, I will always heckle Iowa and Iowa State fans with such taunts, but seriously...your statement is as illogical as someone assuming that everyone from Minnesota plays hockey and eats lutefisk everyday simply because of a misguided stereotype.

As I stated in my earlier post, I grew up and spent my entire life in the Twin Cities before moving down to Des Moines in 2003. I am an alum of the University of Minnesota, a football season ticket holder, and I attend about five to seven basketball games a year (too difficult to get for more than that in the winter).

I honestly must say that your statement implying that Des Moines is somehow "in the middle of a cornfield" is utterly ridiculous and makes you come across as an ignorant fool. Sure, I will always heckle Iowa and Iowa State fans with such taunts, but seriously...your statement is as illogical as someone assuming that everyone from Minnesota plays hockey and eats lutefisk everyday simply because of a misguided stereotype.

Oh, you mean the entire state of Iowa isn't one big cornfield? Really?

NO SH*T, SHERLOCK!! It's called SARCASM...ever heard of it?

I grew up in the middle of a cornfield myself, in rural northeastern South Dakota. (No, I didn't literally grow up in a cornfield...there goes that sarcasm again.)

Better question is, why are you defending the Hawkeye idiots? Is being surrounded by maize on a 24-7 basis rotting the good parts of your brain away? I guess you voluntarily chose to move to Iowa, so the question has already been answered for me.

Look, I love South Dakota, and if I'm being truly serious, there's nothing wrong with Iowa either. To compare either one of them to Minneapolis, though, is just stupid. It's like trying to compare Minneapolis to London, Paris, or NYC. There are pros and cons to no matter where one lives, but when Iowa rednecks try to start comparing their culture and sophistication to Minneapolis, they're fighting a losing battle.

So now everyone in Iowa is a redneck? Once again, poor logic. Also, I don't think there was ever a comparison of the "culture and sophistication" of Des Moines (and Iowa in general) to Minneapolis; there was simply a comparison of the traveling Broadway productions.

Obviously, Des Moines does not have the same homegrown music, theatre, and art scene as Minneapolis and the Twin Cities, but it is all relative. Des Moines has a smaller population base, so it is only natural that the music, theatre and art venues are less in number. So please, before you pop off some more about how unsophisticated Des Moines and Iowa are compared to the Twin Cities, have some supporting facts and information to support your flawed conclusions.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:
I'm not sad at all about the Iowa situation. If it were a program that acted with a modicum of dignity or respect for the 30+ years that I have followed college sports, that would be one thing. Let's see how far their unearned arrogance can carry them this BB season.

as one poster noted U of I is in Iowa City not Des Moines...

perhaps U of I is losing recruits because all the bars in the town just became 21 to enter...anyone who was a fan of the craziness of IC bars isn't happy today

Top Bottom